PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: PFT: Parcells' name floated as possibility in Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Florio: Parcells' name floated as possibility in Cleveland

I disagree that winning a Super Bowl is as much about luck as it is about talent.

Do you really think that the best team in the NFL wins the superbowl each year? Do you really think the Patriots were better than the Rams in 2001? Do you really think that Arizona was the 2nd best team in the NFL last year? Do you really think the Patriots weren't the best team in the NFL in 2007?

The best way to win the superbowl, is to win 12+ games every year, and get hot at the right time, and have a couple bounces go your way. Being the best team in football gives you probably a 30% chance at MOST to win the superbowl.

I don't think any coach has ever taken a job with the ultimate, final goal being "to get the team competitive." I don't remember Bill Parcells at the podium his first day in Dallas saying "well, we just want to make the playoffs and who cares if we win those playoff games or not?"

You don't? Do you not think a CEO has ever taken a job with the goal of just getting the company into the black? Because it happens every day.

Do you really think that the best team in the NFL wins the superbowl each year? Do you really think the Patriots were better than the Rams in 2001? Do you really think that Arizona was the 2nd best team in the NFL last year? Do you really think the Patriots weren't the best team in the NFL in 2007?
I never said luck never came into play. I just said that I don't believe it is as much about luck as it is talent. I would say it is 85% talent and 15% luck.

Now when you hit the playoffs, you have teams of roughly equal ability playing each other so then yes, luck becomes a factor. But it is based on talent that got the Rams, the Patriots, the Cardinals and the Steelers to their respective Super Bowls in the first place. Using this year as an example, all the luck in the world will not get the Browns to beat the Colts but in the playoffs, some luck could help the Patriots or Chargers get the job done.

Do you really think the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls just purely because they were lucky and talent (both players and coaches) never came into play anywhere along the line?
The best way to win the superbowl, is to win 12+ games every year, and get hot at the right time, and have a couple bounces go your way. Being the best team in football gives you probably a 30% chance at MOST to win the superbowl.
But being the worst team in football gives you a 0% chance to win the Super Bowl so obviously talent comes into play sooner or later. And guess what? It takes an awful lot of talent to go out there and win those 12+ games every year and simply be in the position where you can "get hot at the right time".
You don't? Do you not think a CEO has ever taken a job with the goal of just getting the company into the black? Because it happens every day.
That's a horrible analogy. The purpose of a corporation is to make money so yes, hiring a CEO is done with the final goal of turning a profit. But do you think Jerry Jones hired Bill Parcells because he wanted to lose a playoff game in Seattle and not go any further? Do you think Jerry Jones considers those seasons to be successful and he looks back at them with fondness thinking "we accomplished everything we set out to do"?

Last edited:

I never said luck never came into play. I just said that I don't believe it is as much about luck as it is talent. I would say it is 85% talent and 15% luck.

Now when you hit the playoffs, you have teams of roughly equal ability playing each other so then yes, luck becomes a factor. But it is based on talent that got the Rams, the Patriots, the Cardinals and the Steelers to their respective Super Bowls in the first place. Using this year as an example, all the luck in the world will not get the Browns to beat the Colts but in the playoffs, some luck could help the Patriots or Chargers get the job done.

The best shot you have of winning a particular game once you hit the playoffs is about 60%. Even with a first round bye, that gives you a less than 10% chance of winning the superbowl. Your best shot is to make it to the playoffs a bunch of times and get lucky.

Do you really think the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls just purely because they were lucky and talent (both players and coaches) never came into play anywhere along the line?

Why do you people have to just make up arguments to argue against? Where did I ever say talent didn't come into play? Simple. I didn't.

The patriots, of course, were one of the better teams in the NFL, but they sure didn't beat the Rams because they were better than them.
But being the worst team in football gives you a 0% chance to win the Super Bowl so obviously talent comes into play sooner or later.

************, you've gone and run with that strawman.

That's a horrible analogy. The purpose of a corporation is to make money so yes, hiring a CEO is done with the final goal of turning a profit. But do you think Jerry Jones hired Bill Parcells because he wanted to lose a playoff game in Seattle and not go any further? Do you think Jerry Jones considers those seasons to be successful?

Again, where did I say Jerry Jones wanted to lose playoff games. I said Jerry Jones hired Parcells because he wanted to MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS.

DO you think the dolphins consider the last 2 seasons a failure?

Last edited:

Why do you people have to just make up arguments to argue against?

Pot meet kettle.

Pot meet kettle.

Could you please point out something that I made up?

Oh, no, I forgot, you just make snarkly little comments without providing anything useful.

Last edited:

Could you please point out something that I made up?

Oh, no, I forgot, you just make snarkly little comments without providing anything useful.

No, I'm directly arguing with IcyPatriot's statement that "the Patriots have a history of paying their coordinators less than the rest of the league", which is an absolute falsehood.

Tough day huh ... members changing the words of others to prove a point ... priceless dribble.

Tough day huh ... members changing the words of others to prove a point ... priceless dribble.

Again, point out where I made something up.

And its amazing that you're so immature that you can't stay to the thread topic.

Again, point out where I made something up.

And its amazing that you're so immature that you can't stay to the thread topic.

I highlighted what you said I said ... are you blind also?

Would you like to find where I said that?

Oh ... you can't ... like I said ... pot meet kettle ... as usual as you say.

I highlighted what you said I said ... are you blind also?

Would you like to find where I said that?

Oh ... you can't ... like I said ... pot meet kettle ... as usual as you say.

Looks like I misquoted you. I'm sorry.

I just assumed that anytime someone is spouting inanity, and insulting other posters in the process, and has Ice in their name, its you. Simple, reasonable error.

Now, please, tell me, what the hell this has to do with Bill Parcells?

Last edited:

Looks like I misquoted you. I'm sorry.

I just assumed that anytime someone is spouting inanity, and insulting other posters in the process, and has Ice in their name, its you. Simple, reasonable error.

Now, please, tell me, what the hell this has to do with Bill Parcells?

Other than the fact that he likes the horses ... nothing.

The best shot you have of winning a particular game once you hit the playoffs is about 60%. Even with a first round bye, that gives you a less than 10% chance of winning the superbowl. Your best shot is to make it to the playoffs a bunch of times and get lucky.
Bullcrap. When the #1 seed in the playoffs plays their first playoff game (after a first round bye) their chances of winning are way higher than 60%. I think the actual stat is something like 90% and nowhere near your made-up 60% statistic.

You're just completely making up statistics out of thin air, which pretty much shows the intellectual bankrupcy of your argument.
Again, where did I say Jerry Jones wanted to lose playoff games. I said Jerry Jones hired Parcells because he wanted to MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS.
Jerry Jones hired Bill Parcells because he wanted to win a Super Bowl. Yes, making it to the playoffs is a necessary part of that ultimate goal, but since you seem to better understand capitalized sentences let me say JERRY JONES DID NOT HIRE BILL PARCELLS TO JUST SIMPLY MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS BUT LOSE AND GO NO FURTHER.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes