mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/08/sports/football/08mangini.html

08mangini.jpg

May 8, 2006
Energy for the Jets and Beyond
By KAREN CROUSE

The doorbell rang, giving Julie Mangini a start. It was the last Friday of April, the second day in her new home on Long Island, and as far as she knew, the only people who had her new address were friends and relatives who live out of town.

Her father, Ron Shapiro, was visiting for the weekend, and he agreed to investigate. He returned to the kitchen with a sheepish smile. "That was a 16-year-old neighbor," he said. "He asked if I was the new Jets coach."

Mangini's laugh filled the room. Right house, wrong man. Eric Mangini, Julie's husband, was holed up in his office at the Jets' practice facility preparing for his first N.F.L. draft the next day.

Was it the beginning of the end of the Manginis' low-key life? "I don't worry about that," Julie Mangini said. "Maybe I'm naïve."

Mangini, 36, does not appear to become anxious about much. She is sufficiently self-possessed to gladly suffer the people who identify her in relation to the men in her life, as if she cannot stand on her own merit. When she is referred to in public, it is usually as the daughter of Shapiro, the renowned player agent; as the younger sister of Mark Shapiro, the Cleveland Indians' general manager; and as the wife of the new Jets coach.

"I'm happy to be referred to that way," she said, "just because those three men represent everything I believe in." By that she says she means they are kind, they give back to their communities, they make family a priority.

Julie Mangini energizes any conversation or room she enters, and she must also have been blessed with the serene gene. She pulled off a move from New England to New York in January with a 2-year-old son in tow while seven months pregnant. Joshua Schott, the president of Update Legal, where she has worked for the past 10 years, described her as "one of the most even-keeled people I know."

Last edited:
So looking at that picture, I'm trying to figure out of Nancy Mangini is a NY Jets football helmet or a fruit basket. :confused:

huskeralk said:
So looking at that picture, I'm trying to figure out of Nancy Mangini is a NY Jets football helmet or a fruit basket. :confused:

What freaks me out is that she looks exactly like her husband in a blonde wig. :eek:

She has that "what the hell happened" look.

What I find crazy is that he married the sister of Indians GM Mark Shapiro, who is tight with Scott Pioli( and friendly with Theo Epstein), who is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells. Just interesting how the families and friendships of all these powerful coaches and management minds keep intertwining.

She looks like Carmella Soprano....

Anyone else Mangini's coaching career is going to be an absolute trainwreck in NY? He's clearly not ready. I still remember BB *****slapping him after his blown coverage call at the end of SB 39.

ps- His wife looks like a foot.

Jacky Roberts said:
Anyone else Mangini's coaching career is going to be an absolute trainwreck in NY? He's clearly not ready. I still remember BB *****slapping him after his blown coverage call at the end of SB 39.

ps- His wife looks like a foot.

I also remember BB hugging him after a call last year where he went/argued against the call BB wanted. Result I believe Asante returned an INT for a TD.

I don't know if he is ready or not ready, he seemed to have some growing pains last year, but I don't think anything is pre-ordained. The kid appears to be a hard worker and he learned at the knee of one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes