Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
p1_madden_cover.jpg

p1_miller_dennis.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with Monday Night Football is the success of the NFL: when there is parity, who knows what match-ups will be worth watching until after the season has started?

That said, it was predictable even before the season that many of the match-ups would not be very exciting and then it turned out that two of the teams they most love to promote (Green Bay and the Eagles) have gone badly into the tank.

If a nationally televised Monday Night game is worth saving, you'd have to let the network pick the game later -- which would, of course, make things much more difficult for the teams (not to mention the fans who go to the games!)

As it is, who (except for those of us whose access to the NFL is dependent on those games) cares?

I loved Dennis Miller on MNF. I was bummed when he left.

Mike the Brit said:
The problem with Monday Night Football is the success of the NFL.

Actually, the problem with Monday Night Football (and every other Night Football) is that the TV production team steadfastly refuses to cover the action on the field. The broadcast is so chockful of promos and inane sideline reporters and some bottle-blond country singer's husband that it is literally impossible to watch.

Everytime the Pats play Monday Night, the broadcast team invariably misses key plays (turnovers, TDs, etc.) because they are busy with Al and John doing a feature on an upcoming ABC show or the bimbo sideline reporter spewing some drivel.

hwc said:
Everytime the Pats play Monday Night, the broadcast team invariably misses key plays (turnovers, TDs, etc.) because they are busy with Al and John doing a feature on an upcoming ABC show or the bimbo sideline reporter spewing some drivel.
Or showing a close-up of the fresh mustard stain on Madden's tie.

Less personality, more damn football.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Less personality, more damn football.

This statement could and should be said to nearly EVERY single production/broadcast team out there. I get so sick of all the backstories in the broadcasts. If you'd like to do a backstory during a timeout instead of commercials then fine, but while the battle is going on, all I want to hear about is what is actually HAPPENING!! It's insane to me.

Ya

JJDChE said:

Me too, i thought he was great! Oh well!

mtbykr said:
Me too, i thought he was great! Oh well!

I actually enjoyed him too. I loved his moments where he'd blather some brainiac crap that would make the whole bar stop what they were doing and shout "WHAT THE F!@#$???!?!!" followed by various 'nerd' comments.

I honestly enjoyed that.

hwc said:
Actually, the problem with Monday Night Football (and every other Night Football) is that the TV production team steadfastly refuses to cover the action on the field. The broadcast is so chockful of promos and inane sideline reporters and some bottle-blond country singer's husband that it is literally impossible to watch.

Um, yeah ... but a large part of this is a desperate attempt to make an irrelevant blow-out between two teams that would rather be somewhere else into an "entertainment? Green Bay-Baltimore? I rest my case.

Brownfan80 said:
I actually enjoyed him too. I loved his moments where he'd blather some brainiac crap that would make the whole bar stop what they were doing and shout "WHAT THE F!@#$???!?!!" followed by various 'nerd' comments.

I honestly enjoyed that.

Add me to the Dennis Miller fan club on MNF. Helped deal with booring games.

hwc said:

I like to know the updates on injured players...but why do you have to go to the "sideline reporter" while they are playing FOOTBALL to get that information. I could do without all the "sideline" crap....EXCEPT Suzy's "interview" of Broadway Joe, you can't dream up trainwreck television like that....that's entertainment! :eek:

I thought Miller was great too, especially when the games got boring. I like how he annoyed Dan Fouts. Of course that was all before Dennis crossed over to the dark side.

Another thing you never think of, living on East coast, is that Monday Night Football comes on at 6 P.M. on the West coast. I lived in Las Vegas for a while and it sucked coming on before I even had dinner.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Add me to the Dennis Miller fan club on MNF. Helped deal with booring games.
He was great for people who didn't care to watch football, you're 100% right about that.

The other watchers, who were interested in football, found him kind of stupid. You just knew he had memorized certain comments bcause he had the emphasis all wrong and missed a work here and there that would have allowed his comment to make sense.

But this is the key to MNF's failure. First they ignored the game and lost the obsessed football fan, the ones who watch even boring games, then they brought in more entertainment for the remaining fans, and lost another layer of fandom. Then more entertainment, less football, less serious watchers, until we have people who think the problem with MNF is that Dennis Miller left, and think it could be revived with ... sorry, I'm not up on the entertainment world enough to pick a name. And IMO it wouldn't help MNF even if they got that person, whoever he/she is.

spacecrime said:
He was great for people who didn't care to watch football, you're 100% right about that.

The other watchers, who were interested in football, found him kind of stupid. You just knew he had memorized certain comments bcause he had the emphasis all wrong and missed a work here and there that would have allowed his comment to make sense.

Disagree totally. You missed the point entirely.
MNF not by design shows many turkeys per year. Miller was a breath of fresh air. If his humor went over your head, then I understand your frustration.

ummmmm

JJDChE said:

Shirley....you must be JOKING!!! :))

Actually.........

spacecrime said:

But this is the key to MNF's failure. First they ignored the game and lost the obsessed football fan, the ones who watch even boring games, then they brought in more entertainment for the remaining fans, and lost another layer of fandom. Then more entertainment, less football, less serious watchers, until we have people who think the problem with MNF is that Dennis Miller left, and think it could be revived with ... sorry, I'm not up on the entertainment world enough to pick a name. And IMO it wouldn't help MNF even if they got that person, whoever he/she is.

"found him kind of stupid"......................found him kind of stupid? I definitely found him completely stupid. Like someone said earlier.....wherever I was watching a game and he started out with some of his mensa based line of useless and unrelated horsesh##.......everyone in the place would go "what the $#@% is this moron talking about?".....and then we would sit there and laugh at Al Michaels and Dan Fouts faces as they tried to wade through the nonsensical BS that had just come out of Miller's yap.

In my opinion only, I do not, and have never found this guy even remotely funny...........one man's opinion

stcjones said:
In my opinion only, I do not, and have never found this guy even remotely funny...........one man's opinion

In America you have the right to a demonstrably stupid opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News