PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Meet the Buffal-oafs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob-Ryan-Fat.jpg

Holy cow. No pun intended.

You'd think being around the NFL gets you access to the best health advice and nutritionists in the business. Or maybe it's for players only. Either way he is asking for trouble down the road if he keeps this weight on...

Dude, c'mon. That pun was intended.

The article comments are pretty funny.

30 lbs in a month?
About 3-4 years ago I started watching my weight for the first time. I gradually lost over 100 lbs and it is quite frustrating how fast it can go back on. 30 seems like a lot but I wouldn't be shocked if someone lost weight like Rex did then if they completely gave up and went back to old habits 30 could go on quick. I haven't completely given up so I can't say for sure but one or two bad weeks I can easily see a 5-10 lb swing.

Basically pretty sure if I went back old habits that 100 would go on much quicker than it came off and much quicker than it originally went on.

About 3-4 years ago I started watching my weight for the first time. I gradually lost over 100 lbs and it is quite frustrating how fast it can go back on. 30 seems like a lot but I wouldn't be shocked if someone lost weight like Rex did then if they completely gave up and went back to old habits 30 could go on quick. I haven't completely given up so I can't say for sure but one or two bad weeks I can easily see a 5-10 lb swing.

Basically pretty sure if I went back old habits that 100 would go on much quicker than it came off and much quicker than it originally went on.
The sheer amount of overeating necessary to gain 30 pounds in 30 days must be astounding, though.

The sheer amount of overeating necessary to gain 30 pounds in 30 days must be astounding, though.
I don't see it as just gaining 30 in 30 days. It was originally put on over a lifetime you can't just undo that. Your body now has the empty space to fill it up even quicker then the first time.

I don't see it as just gaining 30 in 30 days. It was originally put on over a lifetime you can't just undo that. Your body now has the empty space to fill it up even quicker then the first time.
Didn't one of the Ryans mention gaining 30 pounds in a month? That's what I was referring to. I'll have to re-read the article.

Didn't one of the Ryans mention gaining 30 pounds in a month? That's what I was referring to. I'll have to re-read the article.
What did I say that makes you think I'm refuting that?

Rob and Rex talking ****!
Failure hasn’t taught Ryan brothers how to shut up

Rob, on being in the same division as Bill Belichick: “He’s not going to be able to watch us coach for much longer, I don’t think. But hopefully he can see this one, because we have got big plans. Bring Belichick on. We got him.”
  • Rob, on facing the Patriots: “I know one thing, we are going to beat them. We are together, we’re going to beat the best.”
  • Rex, talking tough: “Well, we never lost a fight in our life. Ever. And we ain’t losing this one. And that’s a true statement. Not just because we are badasses — because we are, individually — but collectively, it’s a lot different. To this day, no man is going to whip me. Why? Because I’ve got my brother with me.”
  • Rex, on Rob’s coaching tree: “Rob is under Bill Belichick. Well, Bill Belichick, this just in, pretty damn good football coach.”
  • Rob on Rob: “I am great.”

So true. Part of the reason why it's easy to put the weight back on.

Once your body creates fat cells they don't disappear after weight loss. They deflate. :D

Not really, they are both insulin resitant at best, probably type 2 diabetic and any excessive carbs they eat are being stored as fat

30 lbs of fat is 105k calories. He would have had to eat that many excess calories. My weight can vary 5-10 lbs. over the course of a long weekend. That represents 17,500-35,000 calories. I don't consume that many calories in a weekend, never mind consuming that many above basal metabolism.

It's not just you. Turns out that losing a large amount of weight permanently busticates your metabolism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0
It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

When those two fat slobs "go getta goddamn snack", they pack down 20 pounds of barbecue

Last edited:
It's not just you. Turns out that losing a large amount of weight permanently busticates your metabolism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0
I am more than a little annoyed by that article. So much I can relate too but surprise I am now going to criticize journalism.

That thing is so clearly written to prey on us. All types of scientific crap to confuse, no solutions or even recommendations for next steps, it pretty much is saying these biggest losers are F'ed and you will be no different.

I am not saying its right or wrong and given my own experiences there is plenty that is accurate but it is so clearly written to scare us into talking about the article that I am sure most people would share this article with others.

I think the best advice I can give which was maybe just a small blip at the end of that article is try your hardest to eat good healthy clean food and maintain what ever is a reasonable calorie intake for yourself. Your diet is so much more important than your excerise routine(not to belittle that as part of healthy living).

If your hungry all the time there is no way you can maintain so listen to your body and eat something just have it be healthy. Also be willing to cheat just try to be smart about it by finding things you love and crave that isn't a bag of chips or a doughnut. And also don't let yourself get depressed if you do binge on the chips or doughnuts just get back on the train.

For me I have been relying on seafood. Growing up in New England there is so much in the ocean to love that just having a lobster or some oysters is a treat that can be filling and not to high in calories. Eating nuts instead of chips when I crave salty snacks. Things like that have helped me.

I've only been at for 3 years compared to the first 30 years in which I ignored it. I am hopeful to never let myself get close to 300 ever again.

Please don't read this as my thinking I have cracked some code I haven't my diet is far from perfect and I am sure I have plenty of tough times ahead trying to maintain.

I won't be happy until one murders the other in a fit of rage.

Rex likes "spirited players"(players who get stupid penalties) wonder how much he will like "spirited coaches"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe