PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McNabb to Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: McNabb to Skins

Sounds like a great deal for the Redskins. Didn't we get a 1st for Drew Bledsoe? Mcnabb + Shanahan = much improved offense in Wash for at least a couple years.

Also makes me wonder what Shanahan has up his sleeve. He's probably the NFL coach, after Belichick and Coughlin, whom I respect the most.

He'll be 58 (same age as BB) when the season opens. Maybe he took a look around and decided that this team was a QB away from the Super Bowl and decided not to wait until his old age to contend for his third ring.

To my mind, it's been clear for a while that Campbell was never going to take the 'skins to the promised land. So, Shanahan decided to bite the bullet and get Jason off campus before the season began and his local supporters made moving him difficult.

Add to that the fact that I doubt very much that he sees a 30yo Rex Grossman as his QB of the future and this looks like a "Win Now" move by a Coach who knows how to win.

This is probably not his last move, as he didn't spend much in the FA period, so he might have another trade or two up his sleeve, including one for Campbell, whom Al Davis will now no doubt want and in exchange for whom he will be willing to give up a lot more than he should.

Stay tuned!

I wonder if the Redskins are not yet done dealing big time...Snyder was quiet for too long and this is kind of what I expected,a sudden bomb trade from him.

Whats next for the Skins?

If I were them I would be looking over to Denver where a disgruntled WR named Brandon Marshall is residing,get him back to Shanahan who he respected and enjoyed playing for and team him up with Donovan ....how about that happening?

I wonder if the Redskins are not yet done dealing big time...Snyder was quiet for too long and this is kind of what I expected,a sudden bomb trade from him.

Whats next for the Skins?

If I were them I would be looking over to Denver where a disgruntled WR named Brandon Marshall is residing,get him back to Shanahan who he respected and enjoyed playing for and team him up with Donovan ....how about that happening?

Marshall to Washington would all but catapult that team to the top of the NFCE.

Thought that I had heard Shanny was trying to dish Marshall after the 2007 season and had had enough of his antics during the 2008 season...

But I do agree. If they can land a top-end talent at WR- look out.

Last edited:
If he couldn't do it in Denver, whatever makes anyone think he can do it for the Skins?

He'd pile up stats and make circus catches and watch the playoffs on TV.

I can't help but think of Bledsoe to the Bills - that's quite a statement when you trade your "franchise" QB to a division rival.
It's only us fans and the mediots that worry about trading to division rivals. Coaches think, "Will this trade make my team significantly better?" and if so, they pull the trigger. They don't try to manage another team's roster.

If he couldn't do it in Denver, whatever makes anyone think he can do it for the Skins?

Who does Washington have as of right now that's a better talent than Brandon Marshall? And, just to be thorough, you're blaming Denver's lack of a playoff appearance the last two seasons on Marshall himself?

It's only us fans and the mediots that worry about trading to division rivals. Coaches think, "Will this trade make my team significantly better?" and if so, they pull the trigger. They don't try to manage another team's roster.

Okay... but if you have a really good player, you don't want to just ship him off to a team that could potentially knock you out of the playoffs, right? Like remember how the Packers dinked around two years ago because they didn't want the ol' hillbilly to go to the Vikings, and then a year later he went there anyway and swept them? Granted the Packers still made the playoffs, but that's not the point.

Washington is maybe one playmaker in the secondary away from being a dominant defense...thats the difference..defense wins games

About 6 years ago a man was coming out of a local convenience store here in my area wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket...He was taken in a back area behind the store and beaten to near death....and I am not exactly in Philly area (About 2 1/2 hours north of Phila)

For those who are Redskins fans and like to wear thier garb, then if you live near Philly I suggest move quickly.

Does WBZ broadcast Patriots games in high Def?

Last edited:
About 6 years ago a man was coming out of a local convenience store here in my area wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket...He was taken in a back area behind the store and beaten to near death....and I am not exactly in Philly area (About 2 1/2 hours north of Phila)

For those who are Redskins fans and like to wear thier garb, then if you live near Philly I suggest move quickly.

Serously. That F**king ridiculous. Its only sport. Misguided, Definately, and just a tad stupid. But an over reaction nonetheless.

BREAKING NEWS:

NFL Announces Schedule tidbit ahead of time.....

Washington at Philadelphia - Monday Night Football,October 25th at 8pm

That is official

Last edited:
Serously. That F**king ridiculous. Its only sport. Misguided, Definately, and just a tad stupid. But an over reaction nonetheless.

IIRC it was shortly after the Cowboys eliminated the Eagles from the playoffs but nevertheless it was a brutal unprovoked attack on an innocent man,I felt bad when I heard it.

According to Jason Cole, McNabb would have retired if he was traded to Oakland:

When the Oakland Raiders sniffed around and showed willingness to trade for the quarterback without an extension, McNabb indicated to the Eagles through his associates that he’d retire.

“He has plenty of money,” the source close to McNabb said. “He’s not doing anything he doesn’t want to do.”

McNabb strong-arms his way to D.C. - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I'm surprised the trade didn't go through anyway. Davis would easily give up a second round pick to have a Pro Bowl caliber QB refuse to play for him and never take the field as a Raider. He rolled those dice with Seymour, why not roll them with McNabb. It is only draft picks and Davis usually blows those anyway especially high draft picks.

According to Jason Cole, McNabb would have retired if he was traded to Oakland:

McNabb strong-arms his way to D.C. - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I'm surprised the trade didn't go through anyway. Davis would easily give up a second round pick to have a Pro Bowl caliber QB refuse to play for him and never take the field as a Raider. He rolled those dice with Seymour, why not roll them with McNabb. It is only draft picks and Davis usually blows those anyway especially high draft picks.

If stuff like this embarrassing article to the Raiders organization does not make the F.O. do something about becoming a relevant team again ,nothing will.

When a possible HOF says he would rather retire than become a Raider it says something about how horrible your team and organization is....thats as embarrassing as a pro team can get a report on.

Honestly, this has been coming for two years. Reid justifiably lost the power struggle in Philly over the last couple of seasons. That is why Heckert left. Reid was the only thing standing between McNabb and another team, and even he had toyed with the idea of moving on multiple times in the last couple of seasons...but he didn't have the guts too when it might have paid dividends. Reid will be the next domino to fall in Philly unless Kolb is in fact the second coming.

As for Shanny, the guy who got canned in Denver because his ego increasingly and finally totally ballaxed a perennial contender ... He won't take Marshall back, even he was ready to move on and was the one who wouldn't give him an extension despite whatever his in office lie detector detected... And he's transitioning all Snyders overpaid defensive talent into a 3-4 defense this season, one which calls for Haynesworth to play the nose and he's not remotely thrilled about that prospect and therefore not attending the offseason program...

He has one pick left in the first four rounds of the deepest draft in recent memory, but he had to do something because without a functional QB (which McNabb still is) you get fired by year three. He has to hope for at least a .500 season coming off 4-12 to buy him time to figure out a longer term plan.

If the Cowboys don't dominate that dysfunctional division this season, Jerry should fire everyone, including himself. If Washington can just contend Reid and Coughlin will likely be unemployed come January 2011. If he somehow manages to trump Dallas for the division, Wade will be gone too. And that will make him the man in the NFCE and a pre season (if there is one) favorite to dominate the NFCE in transition in 2011. That keeps you employed.

The other guy who is really devastated today has to be Bradford...who is now clearly going to the Rams...where everyone will likely be fired next January when the team changes hands... And Clausen has to be sweating bullets that if Buffalo or Cleveland don't love him he could drop like a rock and Tebow could end up being the 2nd QB off the board (hopefully to someone trading back into the first at around 22...).

Re: McNabb to Skins

And once again the Redskins win the April Super Bowl, with a new backfield of Fast Willie Parker and Old Donovan Puker.

Today, the talk on WTEM here is how they need to somehow get rid of (but there are no takers) for last year's free agency DC Darling Albert Haynesworth.

Folks, I live here. It's a broken record, playing the same tune over and over and over and over and.........

Snyder may change the frontoffice/hc people every now and then, but the power in that building still makes the same decisions.

In the meantime, Philly just got a 1st Rounder (in this year's draft, a 36 is like a first rounder in an average year) and a next year third rounder (barring injury, there's no way McNabb doesn't get the starting nod).

For the folks comparing this to Bledsoe - - Drew had just turned 30 when traded. Mc Nabb turns 34 midway through this season.

In the meantime, Jason Campbell sure would make a nice young backup for Brady.

Last edited:
If stuff like this embarrassing article to the Raiders organization does not make the F.O. do something about becoming a relevant team again ,nothing will.

When a possible HOF says he would rather retire than become a Raider it says something about how horrible your team and organization is....thats as embarrassing as a pro team can get a report on.

The problem is that Al Davis has lost his mind and his lackies are a bunch of morons who get into public, near physical feuds with local reports. They got a head coach who punches out his assistants. That fish is rotten from the head down. I don't think they will ever change until Al Davis dies.

No matter what you think about the Seymour trade from the Pats' standpoint, it was a ridiculously stupid trade for the Raiders. Seymour clearly doesn't want to play there and will only stay long term if he is paid through the nose as probably as the top paid defensive player in the league. That first round pick would probably mean more to them than Seymour anyway since they look to have to rebuild again anyway since they don't have a QB, their o-line is a mess, etc.

Davis will continue to do stupid things like give mega contracts to average to above average players like Tommy Kelly. The only free agents he will attract are mercanies who will take top dollar to under perform. He will continue to scare off any real talent.

The only way this cycle of mediocrity will end is if he cleans house including himself and gets a real GM and coach. Won't happen until he is dead. Reports are Davis still likes to play defensive coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes