PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Marvin Lewis to return with Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.

But here is the rub on that contract:

His base salaries will increase during the deal, topping out at $14 million in 2014. He'll also get $1 million roster bonuses for each of his last three seasons, bringing the total amount of the reworked, nine-year deal to $118.75 million.

Sounds like his deal is backloaded with a large portion of the money coming in 2012-2014 which Palmer is unlikely to see. Brady has always had deals where his money is spread out evenly over the life of the contract. He definitely won't see the $15 million in 2014. So that already brings his contract down from 9 years, $13.2 million a year to 8 years, 8 years, $12.9 million a year. If he is cut after this or next season, how much does it bring down his contract? Palmer has likely played his last game with the Bengals unless he redoes his contract to bring down his salary quite a bit. He ultimately won't get anything close to what Brady got.

Looking at this deal on its face, it looks like it supports all the frugality comments about Brown. In 2005, Palmer was the hottest QB other than Manning and Brady. Yet, he got a really long term, backloaded deal that he would have to maintain his elite status to see a large chunk of the money. Brady got shorter term contracts where he got a lion share of his money up front and his base salary and bonuses didn't go up significantly year after year.

Lewis is a great defensive coach but not a head coach.His use of timeouts is ridiculous.

Marvin Lewis to return to Cincinnati Bengals for another season - ESPN

Marvin Lewis
-8 seasons
-2 winning seasons
-0 playoff wins
-Overall losing record

Wow, Gary Kubiak, Norv Turner and Marvin Lewis coming back. Three teams to continue not having to worry about.

And this is exactly why the Bengals suck and will continue to suck.

Marvin Lewis, for as highly touted as he was when he was hired, has been a complete bust.

His team is a perpetual boiling cauldron of discipline problems, he never wins big games, he gets outcoached on a regular basis by the NFL elite, and yet, he continues to keep his job.

Go figure.

Glad he's not our problem!

I love the inept moves other franchises make. It shows us all that we are truly blessed with BB as head coach.

Giving Marvin Lewis an extention is Albert Einstein's definition of insanity !

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Maybe they will trade us a high draft pick for the big bang clock !

Last edited:
Merchandise is a pooled revenue throughout the league. Brown receives money for Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. merchandise. What does he care if he sells Carson Palmer jerseys when he gets a piece of Tom Brady jerseys?

I have read that most owners hate Brown because he is always crying poor mouth, but no owner spends less on his team (he has a sweetheart deal with Cincy for his stadium) and benefits more from the pooled league revenues than he does.

Yes - owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder are the ones who want to do away with this type of revenue sharing because they feel like owners like Brown aren't pulling their weight. I can see both sides.

But hey, if Bengals fans are going to keep buying those tickets... :rolleyes:

In regards to Marvin Lewis, I just want to know two things:

- Exactly how incriminating are the photographs and videos of Mike Brown that Lewis has in his possession?

- I would really like to see for the public record the names of who voted for whom in the Coach Of The Year voting a year ago. Lewis getting that award over Sean Payton was absurd.

The Bengals continue to be a joke of a franchise.

They are a pathetic organization!....how can u reward a coach who OBVIOUSLY does not know how to get it done and hasn't done jack sh*t in his whole HC career. I guess the owners aren't concerned with winning. Unreal...give the guy a raise for being unproductive, lazy, and stupid!....no wonder our country and its workforce is in chaos!

Awful coach matched with awful owner = awful organization.

But I think it's worth noting a few things for Pats fans like me who weren't around during the darker days pre-Kraft/Parcells/BB.

Mike Brown has owned the team since 1991. During his 20-year tenure, the Bengals have only had a winning season 2 times, both in the past 8 years under Lewis.

The team has finished 8-8 4 times in the Mike Brown era, and 3 of those were under Lewis. In the 12 years before Lewis, they had not had a single winning season, finishing 8-8 only once. So by comparison, Lewis is the BB of Bengals football since Brown became owner.

Yes, I know how pathetic that is...

I'll play devil's advocate - but not because I think ML is a great coach.

Look at who the Bengal's have brought in for players over the years. Look at the players they have drafted. ML says NO to TO, then the GM brings him in anyway.

Your head coach does not have final say about personnel.

Maybe the GM needs to be deep-sixed. Over-haul the roster, then try again.

Awful coach matched with awful owner = awful organization.

But I think it's worth noting a few things for Pats fans like me who weren't around during the darker days pre-Kraft/Parcells/BB.

Mike Brown has owned the team since 1991. During his 20-year tenure, the Bengals have only had a winning season 2 times, both in the past 8 years under Lewis.

The team has finished 8-8 4 times in the Mike Brown era, and 3 of those were under Lewis. In the 12 years before Lewis, they had not had a single winning season, finishing 8-8 only once. So by comparison, Lewis is the BB of Bengals football since Brown became owner.

Yes, I know how pathetic that is...

You know what the worst part is? Before Brown took over in 91 they were one of the best teams in the NFL, making the Super Bowl twice in seven years, losing both times in close games to the 49ers.

Brown created the Bungals, and having lived in Cincinnati and seeing myself as a Bengals fan, I feel robbed and cheated.

Of course, being a Patriots fan as well makes up for it :D

You know what the worst part is? Before Brown took over in 91 they were one of the best teams in the NFL, making the Super Bowl twice in seven years, losing both times in close games to the 49ers.

Brown created the Bungals, and having lived in Cincinnati and seeing myself as a Bengals fan, I feel robbed and cheated.

Until the ownership issues are dealt with, the Bengals will NOT be successful, regardless of who is coaching and/or playing.

Marvin Lewis isn't the major problem with that team. It is the owner and the crew of nimrods he has around him.

Until the ownership issues are dealt with, the Bengals will NOT be successful, regardless of who is coaching and/or playing.

Marvin Lewis isn't the major problem with that team. It is the owner and the crew of nimrods he has around him.

Lewis is as major as any other problem. He clearly has a manic/depressive, unstable personality and is simply not head coaching material.

Marvin is back because the only calls he was getting were for DC jobs and no one was returning any of Brown's calls... And this way they both retain Marvin's seat on the vaunted Competition Committee - another undeserved honor bestowed on them after his second season here when they had one of their two one year turnaround anomolies...

So you really appreciate the BB era :singing:

I got into football right after Brown took over, so all I ever knew of the Bengals was that they were awful. I didn't know much about the game back then (still don't actually :rofl:), just loved watching it, but every once in a while I'd see a flashback of the Bengals in the play-offs or Super Bowl and I'd think, "HUH? How the heck did that happen???" I couldn't believe it. It was like watching Joey Harrington get voted into the Hall of Fame or something, just too unbelievable.

Looking back, wow, that used to be a great franchise with all sorts of HOFers. It's unfair to see what has happened there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye