PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Manning arm strength not returning, career in doubt because of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish these Mannings would go away. Have a nice life, just stay away. Part of it isn't their fault the media ballwashes them, but I'm getting sick of Brady being overshadowed by an inferior qb and a qb that didn't even play this year and might not play an other down in his life.

The subjective coverage is pissing me off. I turn on the tv to get some xs and os and objective analysis and it's just Giants, Eli, Peyton.

It will make it that much sweeter when we win on Sunday.

He doesn't get the money if they release him.

I'm wondering if there will be any type of retirement announcement during Superbowl weekend so he gets a proper send off from the home crowd and national audience.

Would he really take the spotlight from his younger brother on the eve of building his HoF resume? :D

Would he really take the spotlight from his younger brother on the eve of building his HoF resume? :D

You betcha, especially if the Pats are winning at the time.

I think if a player is injured the player needs to pass a physical before he can be released. If the player doesn't pass the team and the player must reach agreement on an injury settlement.

If I am right Manning will get a significant settlement from the Colts if released.

You are not right. Generally speaking players still under contract who are released prior to the start of the new league year can grieve that release if they so choose within 25 days of being released. Most do not because it flags them as seriously injured heading into FA. Ty Law waived that right when we released him because he intended to play the upcoming season.

Then there is a new injury protection rule in the new CBA that entitles a player to protection against career ending injury in the first three years of his contract. Manning could make a claim for that money down the road if he doesn't sign on with a new team. But it is limited to 50% up to $1M of his second season salary and 30% up to $500K of his third season salary. However if he signs on elsewhere the Colts would be off the hook for any future claim for that protection. And his new team would be off the hook unless he suffered a new injury.

Manning is not under contract to the Colts beyond March 8th unless they pick up his option.

Players who are waived off the IR in season are entitled to an injury settlement based on that year's remaining earnings. It effectively waives any future claims and allows them to play for someone else if the opportunity arises. Players who remain on IR all season are paid in full and if waived before the following season are not owed anything, although I believe they can still file once in a career for an arbitrated settlement if they were injured at the time they were waived (what Ty Law could have done had he not wanted to be released prior to FA and the new league year).

Manning isn't subject to waivers, he is a vested veteran being cut or released prior to an option bonus being due prior to the start of a new league year. Whether the reason is injury or simply team decision is almost moot. He claims he will pass the physical, and if he does then he won't ever be eligble for even the $1.5M in career ending injury protection. But if he doesn't that is all he may ever be eligible for and only if he never signs another deal to play for another team.

You are not right. Generally speaking players still under contract who are released prior to the start of the new league year can grieve that release if they so choose within 25 days of being released. Most do not because it flags them as seriously injured heading into FA. Ty Law waived that right when we released him because he intended to play the upcoming season.

Then there is a new injury protection rule in the new CBA that entitles a player to protection against career ending injury in the first three years of his contract. Manning could make a claim for that money down the road if he doesn't sign on with a new team. But it is limited to 50% up to $1M of his second season salary and 30% up to $500K of his third season salary. However if he signs on elsewhere the Colts would be off the hook for any future claim for that protection. And his new team would be off the hook unless he suffered a new injury.

Manning is not under contract to the Colts beyond March 8th unless they pick up his option.

Players who are waived off the IR in season are entitled to an injury settlement based on that year's remaining earnings. It effectively waives any future claims and allows them to play for someone else if the opportunity arises. Players who remain on IR all season are paid in full and if waived before the following season are not owed anything, although I believe they can still file once in a career for an arbitrated settlement if they were injured at the time they were waived (what Ty Law could have done had he not wanted to be released prior to FA and the new league year).

Manning isn't subject to waivers, he is a vested veteran being cut or released prior to an option bonus being due prior to the start of a new league year. Whether the reason is injury or simply team decision is almost moot. He claims he will pass the physical, and if he does then he won't ever be eligble for even the $1.5M in career ending injury protection. But if he doesn't that is all he may ever be eligible for and only if he never signs another deal to play for another team.

I believe Manning has a $1 million termination pay clause in his contract for 2012 if he cannot play due to injury. If they release him outright, the cost is $1 million plus whatever is left on the cap for his signing bonus. Right now there is $16 million left on his signing bonus that would be spread over four years if he played them out. If he's released before that, the remaining money is a cap hit for two years - $8 million per year if he is released before March 9, 2012. So, if the Colts release Manning, they take a $9 million hit in 2012 and $8 million in 2013.

Like you say, if he plays elsewhere, the termination $1 million clause is voided, but I believe the Colts are still on the hook for the signing bonus.

I think that's right. You may have better information.

$28.5 million he would be due if the Colts pick up their option for this year.

Not much a choice if this rumor about his arm strength is accurate.

Manning is one of the greats. The main issue is whether Manning is safe with his neck being the way it is. No one wants to see him take a hit that leaves him unable to get up.

Last edited:
I believe Manning has a $1 million termination pay clause in his contract for 2012 if he cannot play due to injury. If they release him outright, the cost is $1 million plus whatever is left on the cap for his signing bonus. Right now there is $16 million left on his signing bonus that would be spread over four years if he played them out. If he's released before that, the remaining money is a cap hit for two years - $8 million per year if he is released before March 9, 2012. So, if the Colts release Manning, they take a $9 million hit in 2012 and $8 million in 2013.

Like you say, if he plays elsewhere, the termination $1 million clause is voided, but I believe the Colts are still on the hook for the signing bonus.

I think that's right. You may have better information.

$28.5 million he would be due if the Colts pick up their option for this year.

Not much a choice if this rumor about his arm strength is accurate.

Manning is one of the greats. The main issue is whether Manning is safe with his neck being the way it is. No one wants to see him take a hit that leaves him unable to get up.

No, you believe incorrectly. Manning has no termination clause. What he has is an option clause that has to be exercised between Febuary 6th and March 8th. If the Colts do not pick it up they would owe him another $28M because the option is guaranteed via a non exercise clause. That allowed them to already pro rate some of that money into 2011. The only way to not owe him that $28M is to cut him before March 8th, 5 days before the start of the new league year. If they do that he is immediately a UFA and his dead cap hit is $10.4M ($16M in remaining signing bonus amortization on his $20M signing bonus minus a credit of $5.6M for the cap hit already taken in 2011 on the $28M option bonus). That $10.4M in dead cap all hits the cap in 2012. You can only spread remaining cap hits over 2 years if players are cut or traded after June 1.

This is shaping up to be a less than amicable split. Manning leaked yesterday that he has been cleared to play. Apparently he was sending a message to all concerned parties, including teams that might be debating a run at him if he's released. Irsay then felt the need to publicly respond and counter that report via twitter last night stating that he has not been cleared to play by the Colts docs or the team...

Clarification (more from Irsay) is supposed to come today. :popcorn:

Last edited:
This is shaping up to be a less than amicable split. Manning leaked yesterday that he has been cleared to play. Apparently he was sending a message to all concerned parties, including teams that might be debating a run at him if he's released. Irsay then felt the need to publicly respond and counter that report via twitter last night stating that he has not been cleared to play by the Colts docs or the team...
Yes, Manning was sending a message. That message was "I'm an attention whore who can't S T F U for 5 minutes to allow 2 other quarterbacks, one of whom is my brother, to be in the spotlight leading up to the Super Bowl. Now excuse me while I conduct another sit down interview with ESPN where I can deny how much I'm trying to steal the spotlight."

Manning's leak could be translated to: "The guys who did my neck surgery say the fusion won't prevent me from playing. I am releasing this leak to keep my name in the paper because like Brett before me, I live for it. I also hope that people forget that my doctor already said this was not going to be an issue back in November and that the actual issue has been and still remains whether the nerve damage ever heals sufficiently to let me throw the ball at an NFL level. I trust that my pals in the media will not mention this in their reporting of the leak by someone close to me. HA! - It always makes me laugh when my pals Schefty and Morty refer to me as that in the stories I give them."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents