Will the Giants stand by their man?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NFLPA has to get into the next CBA that if you aren't charged with a crime, you can't be punished. Boom. No more controversies. Teams can sit players if they choose to. Make stated punishments for getting charged with crimes. Leave very little to interpretation.

Not charged.... convicted. I don't even like the secondary punishment notion but, if you're going to go there, at least follow fair process.

Nailed it, although I'd say that they could, and should, get back to just policing the league, and I'd put this forth as yet another shining example of just why that is.

I think this may be one of those Pandora's box scenarios. Once you've declared that it's your job to police off-field behavior, I'm not sure how you un-declare that. I think it might be in their best interest to just try it and take the hit that comes in so publicly admitting that you're in over your head, but OTOH I'm not sure Roger would be willing to. I think he's determined to keep every ounce of authority he can scrape together, no matter the cost to common sense, decency, credibility, etc. etc.

If I had to draw up a playbook for them, I'd say Goodell should come out and say "I think we can all agree that, in the NFL's attempts to police off-field conduct, we've made a series of missteps. You could even reasonably argue we get it wrong more often than we get it right. What this has made abundantly clear is that we underestimated what it takes to effectively and fairly investigate and police criminal conduct. It was the height of arrogance to assume that we could investigate and punish crime more effectively than law enforcement and criminal courts across the country. In light of that, we've decided that going forward we're going to defer to the experts: anyone who is innocent in the eyes of the courts is innocent in the eyes of the NFL. While we recognize that the legal system can work too slowly and imperfectly for our liking, we've come to realize that we are not capable of providing a better alternative."

I'm sure some organized groups would be outraged and would protest the decision, but sometimes you just have to let that happen. At the end of the day, you have to hope that your position is reasonable and near-universally acceptable enough that the basic sense of it will win out against people who are mad at you. And I think a nuanced, principled stance in support of the presumption of innocence fits the bill.

The NFL will never do that, though, because that would entail voluntarily surrendering some of its power to punish players for anything and everything they have or have not done.

Not charged.... convicted. I don't even like the secondary punishment notion but, if you're going to go there, at least follow fair process.
Yeah that's better wording. For teams, I would think they would have to pay the players if they sat them.

I think this may be one of those Pandora's box scenarios. Once you've declared that it's your job to police off-field behavior, I'm not sure how you un-declare that. I think it might be in their best interest to just try it and take the hit that comes in so publicly admitting that you're in over your head, but OTOH I'm not sure Roger would be willing to. I think he's determined to keep every ounce of authority he can scrape together, no matter the cost to common sense, decency, credibility, etc. etc.

If I had to draw up a playbook for them, I'd say Goodell should come out and say "I think we can all agree that, in the NFL's attempts to police off-field conduct, we've made a series of missteps. You could even reasonably argue we get it wrong more often than we get it right. What this has made abundantly clear is that we underestimated what it takes to effectively and fairly investigate and police criminal conduct. It was the height of arrogance to assume that we could investigate and punish crime more effectively than law enforcement and criminal courts across the country. In light of that, we've decided that going forward we're going to defer to the experts: anyone who is innocent in the eyes of the courts is innocent in the eyes of the NFL. While we recognize that the legal system can work too slowly and imperfectly for our liking, we've come to realize that we are not capable of providing a better alternative."

I'm sure some organized groups would be outraged and would protest the decision, but sometimes you just have to let that happen. At the end of the day, you have to hope that your position is reasonable and near-universally acceptable enough that the basic sense of it will win out against people who are mad at you. And I think a nuanced, principled stance in support of the presumption of innocence fits the bill.

The NFL will never do that, though, because that would entail voluntarily surrendering some of its power to punish players for anything and everything they have or have not done.

Chicken dinner

It will stop when the owners think another path leads to more money.

I was never suspicious about the Giants' Superbowl victories before today, but with some of the information and speculation I'm reading today, combined with some of the events and curious penalties, fumble recoveries, or lack thereof, I am starting to wonder if the Giants got a bit of a helping hand to get them over the top.

Yup, why not?! Nothing is out of realm of possibilities with Giants and Jets. Most recent obvious was tampering by Woody, Jets with Revis was only a fine, tip money. Blatant bias for Jets and Giants coming out of 354 Park Ave is a joke! Giants just do things sneaky and quietly until busted and Jets are just out there.

Goodell will sentence Josh Brown to death. Court will uphold saying the CBA does not limit Goodell's power. Live execution on NFL Network and live streaming on Twitter.
Ah, finally an appropriate action within the context of disciplines imposed upon the innocent Patriots.

Let's separate the fact from the fiction. While I was driving today, I briefly tuned into 98.5 The Sports Hub long enough to hear what radio talking heads say.

Some facts: Roger Goodell referring to "role models" is like Jerry Sandusky claiming to be representative of the spirit and honor of the Boy Scouts.

IF the NFL ever had any integrity at all, Mara and The Giants damaged the league. The Ravens damaged the league. Goodell damaged the league.

The Patriots never did. Not in 2015. Not in 2007. Not in 1990. Not in 1986. Not in 1982.

According to radio talking heads, the Giants organization considers itself to be the model sports franchise. Hometown hero Vince Lombardi was NEVER going to be hired as their head coach due to his Italian heritage. That, and so much more for Giants fans to be proud of.

...but, that was Green Bay's gain. The Siberia of the NFL, it was no exaggeration to question the continued existence of that franchise. I've liked BB since way before he started winning as a HC, but the Super Bowl trophy is aptly named.

Oh, and finally, the on-air babblers proclaim Patriots fans as more pompous than Yankees fans, and more ignorant and worthless than Canadiens fans.

Why?

Because we defend our team, when our owner won't? The league's other owners' song and dance about how the Patriots have been cheating and breaking rules throughout this century is supposed to have merit, yet to date nobody's been able to come up with anything they've actually done, ever?

Reminder: the camera location thing was a subjective opinion of Goodell's, in contradiction to the memo sent and the rule book.

You're never going to see the valid, factual, incisive points made right here on this site, on the Patriots' own flagship radio station.

Goodell was clear in this. He requested information from the player, which the player did not provide.

Not providing the requested information resulted in a lesser suspension for a New York player...

For Brady, they created an entirely separate scandal about his phone for not turning it over to Wells.. even though Wells said he never needed it, that Brady was cooperative and they ultimately had all of the texts they needed, as well as the text logs from Brady's service provider to corroborate all the texts.. and they used that as "evidence" against him and suspended him for 4 games for ALLEGEDLY conspiring to release 0.2 PSI from the game balls..

you really can't make this **** up.. this is real life folks

i would love to see a reporter ask Goodell why Brown did not receive the level of punishment that Brady got for allegedly having a ball slightly deflated

Or even the punishment Ray Rice got. A more comparable situation IMO.

http://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-no-its-the-fans-who-are-idiots-1788088490

Unfortunately he will just get away with it and nothing will happen to him or the nfl.

Yep, Tom E. Curran said in Curran: In Brown case, NFL -- again -- asleep at the investigatory switch
The problem isn’t that the people running the NFL are stupid. They think everyone else is stupid. That’s the problem.

And he's right. In your article we read:
Conway: The criticism that comes back to you is that people see punishments for touchdown celebrations but then only one game for a domestic violence incident. It must be very difficult to balance those things and explain them?

Goodell: They are. I understand the public’s misunderstanding of those things and how that can be difficult for them to understand how we get to those positions. But those are things that we have to do. I think it’s a lot deeper and a lot more complicated than it appears but it gets a lot of focus.

Really, Roger? You really think the issue is our difficulty in understanding what the NFL is doing???

Nothing to do with the idea that terrorizing and beating your wife gets less punishment than unproven ball deflation?

In Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less we read:
We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, and I think when you look at ratings you have to go a little deeper than that,” Goodell said. “There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for.

Really, Roger? You haven't lost any viewers because they still turn on the game but then turn it off because the game sucks?

Roger really thinks he's clever and we're dumb. His days as commissioner are numbered, IMHO. No one can get along with that kind of arrogance.

Meanwhile they're whitewashing the situation by putting Brown on paid leave and hoping it all blows over. Good luck with that one, Roger, you're going to need it.

i would love to see a reporter ask Goodell why Brown did not receive the level of punishment that Brady got for allegedly having a ball slightly deflated
Tom would've got less himself if he beat up Gisele...because it wouldn't have a direct effect on the game.

Don't hotels usually have surveillance cameras? I'm waiting for TMZ to obtain the video of a drunken Brown barging at his wife's hotel room door. Won't be as "juicy" as the Ray Rice video, but that video combined with the past Ray Rice situation would make this the #1 story on the national news broadcasts again. The NFL and all of its cronies deserves this.
Hopefully TMZ is already aware of this...somehow they seem to be able to get information that the big bad NFL office cannot seem to get :rolleyes:

Yep, Tom E. Curran said in Curran: In Brown case, NFL -- again -- asleep at the investigatory switch

And he's right. In your article we read:

Really, Roger? You really think the issue is our difficulty in understanding what the NFL is doing???

Nothing to do with the idea that terrorizing and beating your wife gets less punishment than unproven ball deflation?

In Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less we read:

Really, Roger? You haven't lost any viewers because they still turn on the game but then turn it off because the game sucks?

Roger really thinks he's clever and we're dumb. His days as commissioner are numbered, IMHO. No one can get along with that kind of arrogance.

Meanwhile they're whitewashing the situation by putting Brown on paid leave and hoping it all blows over. Good luck with that one, Roger, you're going to need it.

goodell is much less apologetic this time than he was after the Ray Rice fiasco. At least he admitted that he screwed up the Rice punishment. For some reason he's digging in this time.

goodell is much less apologetic this time than he was after the Ray Rice fiasco. At least he admitted that he screwed up the Rice punishment. For some reason he's digging in this time.

He won in federal court a couple of times. That is his new proverbial beer muscles.

Tom would've got less himself if he beat up Gisele...because it wouldn't have a direct effect on the game.
If laid a hand on Gisele Tom would have died a slow painful death.

She'd make El Chapo look like Mr Rodgers.

This angers me. A great deal. It angers me that they knew (NFL security), lied about knowing, and they continue this charade. It angers me that a guy like Brady, who would be revered in any other major sport or business place faces what he did while people like Brown seem to get the benefit of the doubt until somehow outside the league unearths it...

I have two daughters. It angers me when I hear of men like Brown.

I have no daughters, but I do now have a teenage grand daughter. As I said at the time of the Greg Hardy bs, if that was my family member the player would never play football again, no matter what Goody and his merry band of 32 decided. He'd be lucky to be able to walk.

This is just another in a continuous line of NYFL crap that has me hankering for the day that Tom Brady is gone and I can dump them all for good.

I've taken a lot of shots from fans here for taking that hard line with the NYFL, but the more I see the more I believe that it's the fans who stay on who will be the ones with the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft