PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jonathan Taylor requested Colts to trade him (Edit: RBs unhappy around the league)

It's hard for them to get to those second and third contracts before they're run down.
How is that a flaw? You think the system should be adjusted so they make a lot of money after they are run down?

If a bunch of them start holding out as a group as was suggested by that article then- yeah I think they will be.
Holding out is very expensive in today's NFL.

Don't understand this, unless there's serious rule changes that bring us back several decades.

It's a passing league.
It's the skill level. It's what happened with RBs. The 100th best RB can get you 85-90% of the production of the best RB. If you have 3 of those guys, you're spending 1/4 of what you would on the top guy. The skill gap is closing at WR, and you've seen that reflected in contracts since DJ Moore's last big blockbuster. Odell Beckham's making half what Tyreek Hill is. Hopkins is making less than a third. It's happening at CB as well.

I don't understand why this is suddenly a story. The league has been trending this way since Dallas overpaid for Zeke a few years ago.

The only thing that will change this long-term, is that less kids at the HS and College level will be wanting to play RB, so when a unicorn finally does come through the pipeline, and asserts themselves as being valuable in a way that separates himself from others, will the contracts start to reflect that.

The only position where this won't be affected is QB, because there's only a handful of guys who can actually affect the game in a meaningful way.

If a bunch of them start holding out as a group as was suggested by that article then- yeah I think they will be.
I don't know about this... It's all in or not... And if they do "strike" during the off /camp season, how many can afford to lose 50k a day, in non-voidable fines?

If the owners are willing to shut entire seasons down over labor disputes, think they will budge over this? Honestly, it's a silly stance... not a chance the owners would cave...

The best solution would be for them to push for performance based escalators in their deals... But it's all about the guaranteed money, isn't it?

Last edited:
when was the last time a free agent running back got a deal worth more than 10m a year? I can't remember when the last time was...

Dalvin Cook will be a good indicator of the free agent value of quality running backs...

Cook has had over 3000 touches in six seasons. He's turning 28 in two weeks. Barkley has 1203 over mostly 4 seasons and is 26. Taylor has 860 touches and is 24.

If J. Taylor has 2000 yard season and is a UFA next year, he would receive more than Barkley's pathetic 11 million or what Cook will receive. If Barkley were a FA he would receive more than he did as well.

Age and use devalue RB greatly, and it's not even being that old anymore. Because of the tag there really haven't been any prime RB's available in free agency who fit the profile.

With sports betting, the already massive amounts of revenue for the NFL is going to go stratospheric. The already-richest sport will increase that huge lead exponentially.

I expect that more than RBs will be grousing a lot quite soon.

Cook has had over 3000 touches in six seasons. He's turning 28 in two weeks. Barkley has 1203 over mostly 4 seasons and is 26. Taylor has 860 touches and is 24.

If J. Taylor has 2000 yard season and is a UFA next year, he would receive more than Barkley's pathetic 11 million or what Cook will receive. If Barkley were a FA he would receive more than he did as well.

Age and use devalue RB greatly, and it's not even being that old anymore. Because of the tag there really haven't been any prime RB's available in free agency who fit the profile.
The RB Franchise tag is a little over $10mm for one year, all fully guaranteed.
That's a great chunk of change, likely more than they'd see AAV in their next contract.

How is that a flaw? You think the system should be adjusted so they make a lot of money after they are run down?
No that's why I said some sort of playtime bonus system so they get paid before they run down.

No that's why I said some sort of playtime bonus system so they get paid before they run down.
Why would you take money from other players to pay guys who gave less value (as per their contract) than they think they do?
You have to take that money from other players.

Why would you take money from other players to pay guys who gave less value (as per their contract) than they think they do?
You have to take that money from other players.
I think I've answered that. because RBs tend to run down quicker than other positions.

Cook doesn’t have 3000 touches. He has about half of that.

The RB Franchise tag is a little over $10mm for one year, all fully guaranteed.
That's a great chunk of change, likely more than they'd see AAV in their next contract.

I don't think so.

Barkley would get more than double he received guaranteed, and a higher yearly.

Cook doesn’t have 3000 touches. He has about half of that.

Thanks. I looked at the wrong column.

But still an a good RB, but not one who can carry a team like Henry/Taylor/Barkley, and will be 28.

from a teams perspective, why would you invest high dollars in a running back? They are the easiest of the skill position players to replace... it just doesn't, or rarely if you prefer, happen anymore...

and if you need to put a qualifier of a 2000 yard season on Jonathan Taylor, come on Fam ... that's a HUGE if assumption on your part... but say he does, whats going to happen? as you said, age and use devalue a back... a 2000 yard season for a back means averaging 117 yards per game... based on his 5 ypc career average, that's 23.5 carries a game at 5 yards per clip... project that out and its 400 carries for Taylor... (and lets not forget no back has ever achieved the 2000 yard season twice in their career)...

But if he manages it, most likely the colts will tag him... in doing so, it will increase the overall cap values for the rb group under the cba, making it just that much easier for the next guy to earn a bit more...

I don't think so.

Barkley would get more than double he received guaranteed, and a higher yearly.
There is no team that's paying Barkley $20mm a year. Not even close.

They should have chosen to play LB or SS instead, you can't blame the market... it is what it is.

from a teams perspective, why would you invest high dollars in a running back? They are the easiest of the skill position players to replace... it just doesn't, or rarely if you prefer, happen anymore...

and if you need to put a qualifier of a 2000 yard season on Jonathan Taylor, come on Fam ... that's a HUGE if assumption on your part... but say he does, whats going to happen? as you said, age and use devalue a back... a 2000 yard season for a back means averaging 117 yards per game... based on his 5 ypc career average, that's 23.5 carries a game at 5 yards per clip... project that out and its 400 carries for Taylor... (and lets not forget no back has ever achieved the 2000 yard season twice in their career)...

But if he manages it, most likely the colts will tag him... in doing so, it will increase the overall cap values for the rb group under the cba, making it just that much easier for the next guy to earn a bit more...
Basically if you put together a good offense your RB will do well. If you need a RB to carry you, you aren’t going to be a good team.

There is no team that's paying Barkley $20mm a year. Not even close.

That's not what I said.

But some team would have paid him something like 3/40 with 26 million guaranteed in March.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back