PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: John Havlicek Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havlicek carried the team on his back in that bridge from the Russell era Celtics through the Dave Cowens teams, to just a couple years before Larry Bird arrived.

Belichick would have loved his versatility as being a superb player on both ends of the court who could excel at both forward and guard. Almost played in the NFL with the Browns.

Incredibly clutch.

Thanks for all the wonderful memories.... RIP

Not almost, jmt, he DID play one game for the Browns. Made a key block on a long Jim Brown run.

He was drafted by them and Paul Brown tried to talk him into playing wr for them after he played a few years with the C's.

A GREAT hoops player, he is still the 3rd best Celtic of all-time, behind Russell and Larry and just ahead of Paul Pierce.

One of the best all around players to ever play: offense, defense, shooting, passing, locking down his man, stealing.

Clutch in big situations. In the 60's the Boston sports icons were Russell, Orr, Yaz and Havlicek. Period. Lots of good Patriots but none on that level.

I was a row back at the basket when Jarrin' John hit that shot over Jabbar. 3rd overtime...the two of them matching shot for shot. Greatest night of BB I've ever witnessed live

Love the Jarrin' John mention. Johnny Most was awesome. Hondo, even more so.

Please, do not compare Havlicek with Pierce....
??!? Wtf.
I love the Truth- but Havlicek was better and anyone with any nba cred knows it.

There was no comparison to Pierce. Hondo was ridiculously better.

I understand why people say Bird was better than him, but it was close.

not sure what you mean, but I certainly can't rank Pierce above him. I'm a huge PP fan, and by 2000 players in general were more skilled than 30 years prior. But Hondo was the MAN for years and years. Even if you put the Russell era aside and don't credit Havlicek for any of those 6 rings (which Russell himself wouldn't agree with), he then led a whole different cast to 2 championships and got screwed out of a 3rd when he hurt his shoulder on a 68-win team.

PP was the greatest 1 on 1 guy we've ever had, perhaps except Kyree, but Hondo was a phenom athlete and leader/winner.
It's not about points or rebounds, Havlicek was a Celtic. I remember a game when he hurt his shooting arm, he shot with the other arm. He didn't show up in a wheelchair or his head wrapped in a bandage. WTF? Paul Pierce was a great basketball player.

I was a row back at the basket when Jarrin' John hit that shot over Jabbar. 3rd overtime...the two of them matching shot for shot. Greatest night of BB I've ever witnessed live
I was there as well, seated behind the basket where Kareem made the winning skyhook shot over Finkel. Won't ever forget it.
Always loved Hondo. Sad to see him pass.
I was at that game too. The most underrated epic ever played at Boston Garden, mainly cause they lost I guess. Havlicek and Jabbar trading shot for shot, with a trophy in the back room cause we were up 3-2 in the series. That was also the game where Cowens and Oscar Robertson when diving for the ball at mid-court. Cowens fouled out in OT and Hank Finkel had to guard Jabbar, which he did ok but Kareem hit a running hook from at 15' at the buzzer to win by 1. Not his typical sky hook, he was facing the hoop in the key and headed toward the corner when he released it.
...And we lost the game!!!

...yeah we took the title in Milwaukee, but still

??!? Wtf.
I love the Truth- but Havlicek was better and anyone with any nba cred knows it.
I like MJ, he's obviously really good.

Would I take him over Havlicek, Russell, Wilt, Jerry West, or Elgin?

Lol. Of course not, never.

When I was a kid, young kids 12 and up were allowed to take the bus from the burbs to Hahvid Square and the subway to the Celts games. Guys would give my Dad (Bruins & Sox fan) Celts tix right up front. Got to see Russ, KC & Sam, Cooze, Satch Sanders, Lusky & a bit later John H up close. Celts were my 1st sports love. RIP John.

boston-celtics-john-havlicek-right-and-beth-havlicek-left-pose-for-a-picture-id931908976

boston-celtics-john-havlicek-left-and-beth-havlicek-right-pose-for-a-picture-id931908966

download-2019-04-26T163612.791-850x478.jpeg

beth-havlicek-left-and-john-havlicek-right-attend-a-boston-red-sox-picture-id931908986

00Havlicek3-facebookJumbo.jpg

0c81c04a-john_havlicek.jpg

Beth-and-John-Crop-PNG.png

A sad day indeed. He lived in the city that I grew up in and was a class act all the way. My lasting memory of him, besides Havlicek stole the ball, was the way he was constantly in motion on the court. Few if any players could stay with him.

RIP Hondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore