PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 All-Time Boston Clutch Sports Performers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Inspired by mikey's report of the FOX Sports Poll and the obvious omissions of some BIG-TIME Boston guys (Orr, Bird, Russell, et al), I decided to go with my own list of Top 10 All-Time Boston Clutch Sports Performers.
----------------------------------------
The quick list:

10. Dave Cowens
9. Bobby Orr
8. Kevin McHale
7. Curt Schilling
6. Bill Russell
5. Adam Vinatieri
4. John Havlicek:
3. David Ortiz
2. Larry Bird
1.Tom Brady
The Expanded List:

Criteria:
1) Has to have won a championship WITH Boston (sorry, Ray Bourque!).
2) Must be a guy you want in there at crunch time.
3) Must embody the spirit of Boston in some way.
10. Dave Cowens:
1) Ship: Won NBA titles with the Celtics in '74 & '76
2) Clutch: Was always on the floor with the game on the line - in the crunch, his nasty rebounding and willingness to mix it up in big games separated him from the pack.
3) Boston: With that red hair and tough guy attitude, he could have just as easily been from Southie as from Kentucky!

9. Bobby Orr:
1) Ship: Won Cups in '70 & '72
2) Clutch: Look no further than his famous horizontal Stanley Cup clincher vs. the Blues in '70. Forget about the fact that he was a stout defender and constant scoring and assist threat.
3) Boston: He was the face of Boston during the Bruins last true glory years. Even my grandmother knew who he was. She used to say this little ditty, "Bobby Orr, Number Four, Watch Him Score!"

8. Kevin McHale:
1) Ship: Along with Larry Bird and The Chief, led the Celtics to five NBA finals and took home three of them (1981, 1984 and 1986)
2) Clutch: McHale used to call crunch time the "torture chamber" and he was torture on the opposition, shooting over 60% in the postseason in his career.
3) Boston: He did a guest spot on "Cheers", fahchrissakes! How much more "Bahstahn" can you get than that!

7. Curt Schilling:
1) Ship: Sox in ‘04
2) Clutch: He’s a pompous ***** to be sure, but he is most definitely clutch. Forget the bloody sock – it’s just his whole pitching attitude of “If you **** with me, you’re gonna pay!” His postseason performance in ’04 was the stuff of Boston legend. To steal a line from the movie “Swingers”, he’s money, babe. Pure money!
3) Boston: He inspired us in the spring of ’04 with that Ford ad (“I’m going to Boston to reverse a curse”) and then he goes and friggin DOES IT!

6. Bill Russell
1) Ship: Won an amazing 11 NBA championships with the Celts ('57, '59, '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '68, '69)
2) Clutch: His matchups with (and dominance over) fellow NBA superstar Wilt Chmaberlin ring out in memory. Russell was never the big scoring threat (15 points per game regular season career average; 16 points in the playoffs), but this was not due to lack of talent as much as committment to his role and his grasping the concept of t-e-a-m. He was a tenacious defender and led the NBA in rebounding five times and recorded 40 or more rebounds in one game an astonishing SEVEN times!
3) Boston: Russell had his problems with Boston's racist idiots, but eventually overcame that with his intelligence and boyish charm. Being a favorite of Red Auerbach didn't hurt him, either!

5. Adam Vinatieri
1) Ship: ’01, ’03, ’04 with the Pats
2) Clutch: The Snow Game; three Super Bowls all won by the margin of his foot; countless regular season wins, and just the general feeling that when AV stepped on the field, you were in.
3) Boston: He was the golden child of Boston and he never should have left. He should have played here for minimum, if need be. Indianapolis will never give him the juice and love he got in Boston.

4. John Havlicek:
1) Ship: Won EIGHT NBA titles with the Celtics in '63, '64, '65, '66, '68, '69, '74, '76!
2) Clutch: How about this? '65 Eastern Conference Finals, Hondo steals Hal Greer's inbound pass and hits Sam Jones on the fly. Ball game! Or, '76, second OT vs. the Suns, Havlicek drains a 15-footer, seemingly for the championship. Fans go nuts. Refs say there is 1 second left! Celts win in triple OT! MVP of the '74 Finals.
3. Boston: Oh yeah. Auerbach's favorite son! The guy has Celtic green and parquet running through his veins! How quickly we forget!

3. David Ortiz
1) Ship: ’04 – Sox
2) Clutch: Um, where do I start. Angels, ALDS ’04; Yankees – three times – ’04 ALCS; 20-something homeruns last year where he either tied or won a game, and that’s not even counting all the clutch hits to keep rallies going or move RISP!
3) Boston: I love the way he says “Bow-stone” with that Dominican accent. “I lubb to play in Bow-stone!” We love you, too, Big Papi!

2. Larry Bird
1) Ship: Celtics – ’81, ’84, ‘87
2) Clutch: Every game he ever played in he did something clutch, but in the Finals he was truly at his best. Who can forget him b!tch-slapping Kareem & Rambis to show them that the Celtics were not gonna be pushed around. All the pull-up clutch 12-footers! God, they just run together in your memory!
3) Boston: A Hoosier to the bone, Bird nonetheless became our redneck golden boy. His country charm and undying work ethic made him a centerpiece of the Celtics organization and the city.

1.Tom Brady
1) Ship: ’01, ’03, ’04 with the Pats
2) Clutch: The numbers alone speak the truth: 10-1 lifetime in the postseason; undefeated lifetime in OT. Even in losing to Denver last year for his first playoff loss, he still threw for 360-something yards and TD (plus one very ugly INT to Champ Bailey!). Here’s what makes Brady clutch: you’ve got two minutes left in the game and 70 yards to go to tie or win. Who do you want behind center? Peyton Manning? Ben Rothlisberger? Michael Vick?
3) Boston: This kid is going to be mayor of Boston, governor of Massachusetts, and a US Senator from the state, if he wants. Tom Brady can do no wrong in the Bay State. Tom Brady is a New England icon.

Last edited:
What about BILL FREAKIN' RUSSELL?

Last edited:
I'll give you criteria #3 (although I think he represents what is WRONG with Boston).....but please do explain how the Mighty Midget, Doug Flutie, meets your other criteria. Please pay special attention to "wins championship with a Boston team."

Last edited:
If Flutie is included (No championship) then you have to admit ........gee, I don't know, Ted Freakin' Williams!

Rocky Marciano, only undefeated heavyweight champion, from Brockton.

many of you are too young, but that yaz dude pretty much carried a crappy team to game 7 of the world series by himself

Garbanza said:
I'll give you criteria #3 (although I think he represents what is WRONG with Boston).....but please do explain how the Mighty Midget, Doug Flutie, meets your other criteria. Please pay special attention to "wins championship with a Boston team."

Yea, I gave him a pass becuase of all the post-retirement rigamoroll (sp?)!

I probably should have put Russell on there instead!

scout said:
Rocky Marciano, only undefeated heavyweight champion, from Brockton.

Big four...

(Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball)

PatsWorldChamps said:
many of you are too young, but that yaz dude pretty much carried a crappy team to game 7 of the world series by himself

Yaz was great, no doubt, but he never won a championship. I couldn't give out two passes!

Brady is very clutch! But I'd actually put Larry Bird there at #1

PatsWorldChamps said:
Actually, that team wasn't that bad with the direction of a hard nosed manager in Williams. But, Yaz was unbelievable, not only in winning the triple crown, but what he did in the final drive to win the pennant. That was clutch!

Include Yaz, Russell,and remove flutie please thats embarrassing...Nothing clutch about a Hail Mary..except maybe the guy catching it.If the receiver lets it slip through his hand is Flutie such a big deal?.No..He threw the ball to an area..A rather large area.He did not aim it at one guy.Not Clutch...Its like talking to small children.Damn flutie flakes

i forget who said it about yaz, but someone said that never before had one player taken a team, thrown them on his back, and carried them to the world series the way he did in 67...

and russell simply has to be there. all he did was win championships... i remember being at a semi-recent celtics playoff game, and they were showing former players on the jumbotron.... the crowd cheered as they showed JH, bird, cousey, etc... then they showed russell and the entire place gave him the only standing O... it was cool to see that the fans understood

Last edited:
At #6...

Took Flutie off, put Russell on!

I stand corrected!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's certainly tough, but i'd put AV at #3... brady and bird are incredible, so they get 1 and 2... but those kicks AV has made (i was at the snowbowl, when he made not 1, but 2 impossible kicks), make him a strong candidate for even #1

Last edited:
Does Russell win without Bob Cousy? I was wondering In colorado is Kordell considered clutch?

Kdo5 said:
Brady is very clutch! But I'd actually put Larry Bird there at #1

I could not agree more. Hitting three pointers to win at the buzzer. Stealing the ball from Isaiah.... Bird was Mr. Clutch in so many ways. I am (no longer) a basketball fan, but Bird wins this one by a MILE.

I think you would have to put Bobby Orr at least into the top 3. He was a GOD while he played here. I mean the dude owned the city, and is still highly revered to this day.

love papi, but not a top 5...in fact...no way should the sox have 2 top 10s from that one team...

cousy belongs i think, heinsohn, sam jones, loscy all rival mchale...cheevers, esposito in black and gold...tris speaker and babe ruth did more for the sox than ortiz and schilling...

PatsWorldChamps said:

Yaz was great. Among the greatest ever to set foot between the foul lines at Fenway. He is one of the best to ever play the game, anywhere. So, please don't crap all over me, but Yaz made the last out in both the '75 World Series and the '78 Bucky Bleeping Dent playoff game...He belongs in Cooperstown, he belongs in the hearts of Boston fans, but he doesn't belong on this list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back