PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jeff Fisher resigns from Competition committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, this might effect the Ram's chances of landing Peyton. Big negative in his eyes not to have a rep from his team on there.

Now Jeff can go back to being a terrible coach full time, no distractions!

Maybe he'll spend the extra time styling that mullet/mustache combo that just cannot go out of style. Timeless.

(I'm glad to know I'm not the only Pats fan who despises this idiot, he's one of my least favorite NFL figures)

Now Jeff can go back to being a terrible coach full time, no distractions!

Maybe he'll spend the extra time styling that mullet/mustache combo that just cannot go out of style. Timeless.

(I'm glad to know I'm not the only Pats fan who despises this idiot, he's one of my least favorite NFL figures)
I'd say Jeff owes his NFL coaching longetivity entirely to the Air McNair era (rest his soul, loved the guy) in the late 90's-early 00's. Back then he actually coached some pretty stout teams.

The problem is, this isn't the early 2000's NFL anymore. You can't get away with the cheap shots Jeff's defenses would thrive upon. Jeff's style simply does not translate to today's game.

Just like his mullet/stache combo doesn't translate to today either. ;)

Jeff Fisher is a special kind of idiot. He's on the committee that enables a team with a great QB/WR combo to be dominant...and spends his entire head coaching career building a team that wants to run the ball. Steve McNair was awesome, but what has he had since McNair? Trash.

I also think of this guy

hqdefault.jpg
And don't forget his nephew:

I ask this in all seriousness -- does Belichick seem like a committee guy to you? To me, BB is a real life example of the TV/movie character trope, "Detective who plays by his own rules, good at heart but disciplinarian, will ream out his guys in private but will defend them to the death to his superiors, thinks his superiors are empty suits who don't truly understand and should be grateful they have someone like him to do the dirty work, superiors hate him but respect how he gets the job done, the people he leads will take bullet for him despite/because of the tough love." Best current comparison is Mark Harmon's character Gibbs on NCIS, but there are loads of them through film/TV history. That's not a committee guy to me.
Sounds as much like Dirty Harry as Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

{insert meme here with Belichick's face photoshopped over Clint Eastwood's body and a .44 magnum pointed at the entire competition committee}

I've always wondered this myself. Where's the integrity* in picking representatives from just a handful of teams to make the rules of the game? What's to stop the committee from changing the rules to give advantages to their own teams? (SEE: Polian, Bill)
the competition committee doesn't change any rules. each of the NFL teams can propose rule changes. the competition committee studies the proposals and then makes a report to all of the owners, who then vote on whether to accept the rule changes at their annual meeting.

take for instance extending the goal posts by 5 feet. belichick submitted that proposal for the rule change, the competition committee reviewed the proposal, and then the owners passed the rule.

edit: the competition committee can also propose its own rule changes, but they still have to be voted on by the owners at their annual meeting.

I don't understand why every team isn't required to have a representative on the committee.
Too logical. There appears to be some sort of Coaches' Subcommittee as well but just having ONE rep from each team (not necessarily the HC, but some sort of liaison whether that's an Ernie Adams type person or someone front office to speak for the team) would seem to provide a little more clarity for the process

Too logical. There appears to be some sort of Coaches' Subcommittee as well but just having ONE rep from each team (not necessarily the HC, but some sort of liaison whether that's an Ernie Adams type person or someone front office to speak for the team) would seem to provide a little more clarity for the process
Belichick should head the committee. Nobody knows the rules better than him.

True, but sure to never happen lol. It could be headed by the HC with most time in service, if looking for a rule to apply other than just BB doing it

I'm not sure how active a process the committee is, seems like if looking for a way to provide equal access and if you have someone non-HC whose job it is to be each team's rep then they could meet as frequently and equitably as necessary without impeding on other parts of coaches or GMs jobs.

My suggestion:
Each billionaire owner appoints one of their lucky spawn to represent their team on this committee. Put 32 entitled Spaulding Smails into a room, lock the door, and turn the cameras on. I'd watch this over a Thursday night Tennessee/Jacksonville nail-biter.
"My G6 is bigger than your G6"

While this isn't on Fisher alone, did anyone notice there isn't a big push to change or add any rules this offseason? There's been talk about tweaking the "catch" rule, but that happens every couple years. Other than that, nothing. That's much different that last year, when there was a rule change stemming from each Patriots playoff victory.

I think we would have heard some rumblings if Brady had been the one to fall down/give himself up when he was in the path of an oncoming defender, only to get up and complete a 30 yard pass.

Never happen he has too much common sense.. put a camera on end zone pilons?? Let them tell you all the reasons why that can never happen.. Throw the red hankie on any play?? No bad idea, need to only allow a limited number of plays that can be contested.. do not want to make the blind refs look worse than they actually are.

I've always wondered this myself. Where's the integrity* in picking representatives from just a handful of teams to make the rules of the game? What's to stop the committee from changing the rules to give advantages to their own teams? (SEE: Polian, Bill)

Changing rules to help their own team has been going on since Don Shula was on that committee. In fact, he might have been the first to abuse the committee that way.

Last time I checked, the current committee's 4 AFC reps consisted of three members from the AFCN. Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore), Marvin Lewis (Cincy) and Mike Triplin (Stealers). How much integrity* will that crew have?

Last edited:
the competition committee doesn't change any rules. each of the NFL teams can propose rule changes. the competition committee studies the proposals and then makes a report to all of the owners, who then vote on whether to accept the rule changes at their annual meeting.

take for instance extending the goal posts by 5 feet. belichick submitted that proposal for the rule change, the competition committee reviewed the proposal, and then the owners passed the rule.

edit: the competition committee can also propose its own rule changes, but they still have to be voted on by the owners at their annual meeting.

The competition committee has more say on rule changes than the NFL officials. I heard Mike Periera talk about that a few years ago in an interview with Felger and Mazz. Here's an article about his opposition to the Polianic changes.

Pereira says emphasis on illegal contact "didn't seem logical"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand