PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's not Peyton's fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamo

praedica numerum!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
... or so NBC says. They were *very* quick to start the Manning pass-the-buck bandwagon to make themselves look less foolish...

Colts supporting cast falls short in Super Bowl - Super Bowl XLIV- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Headlines: Colts supporting cast falls short in Super Bowl
Manning did what he could, but his receivers came up short in loss

MIAMI - Peyton Manning’s receivers came up short in Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Hank Baskett botched an onside kick recovery to open the second half, Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie couldn’t catch third-down passes to keep drives going and Reggie Wayne watched Tracy Porter jump his route and run 74 yards for the game-sealing TD.

Manning did what he could, repeatedly driving the Colts down field and forcing the Saints to gamble. But unlike the previous games this season, his supporting cast didn’t come through.

Seriously... when I read that I looked at the URL to make sure I hadn't clicked on The Onion by mistake...

Last edited:
Re: It's not Peyton's Fault!

Hell with NBC. They're masters of spin.

That pick six was Manning's fault. For one, Porter was closing in on that route at a pace which said that Manning should not have thrown the ball. For another, there is a huge chance that it was Manning that called that play. Watching his postgame presser right now, he sounds VERY defensive about whatever questions come up about that play.

That pick six was Manning's fault. For one, Porter was closing in on that route at a pace which said that Manning should not have thrown the ball. For another, there is a huge chance that it was Manning that called that play. Watching his postgame presser right now, he sounds VERY defensive about whatever questions come up about that play.

Yup, Porter was sitting on that route all the way, and Manning didn't see it. That one play, at least, is totally on him.

Hell with NBC. They're masters of spin.

You miss my point (or I didn't make it very well): That article is hilarious! It does read *exactly* like the Onion review of the game.

I think it was just a great play by Porter. He was reading it the whole way. I'm happy it was Manning that threw the pick, but big props to Porter. Reminded me of Ty Law smarts back there.

I think it was just a great play by Porter. He was reading it the whole way. I'm happy it was Manning that threw the pick, but big props to Porter. Reminded me of Ty Law smarts back there.

Exactly. Its asking too much to expect a player to have a perfect game in the highest level of football. It happens but when it doesn't you can't blame that payer. The Saints played very well.

Well it SHOULD have been easy to read it. For God's sake, the Colts only ran three routes the entire night. Hitch, slant, crossing route. Rinse and repeat.

"Porter made a great play. That's all I have to say about that, Porter made a great play."

Translation..."I refuse to take any responsibility for losing this game. In fact, I refuse to acknowledge I participated in that particular play."

"That onside kick in the 2nd half was tough. It negated the coin toss."

Translation..."I'm going to kick Hank Baskett in the nuts so hard, Kendra Wilkinson will feel it."

"And we had that bubble screen that looked like it was going to be a big play, but lost yards."

Translation..."Seriously, do I have get out there and block too?"

"Then we missed the FG and gave the Saints good field position."

Translation..."I'm going to kick Matt Stover in the nuts so hard, Kendra Wilkinson will feel it."

Well it SHOULD have been easy to read it. For God's sake, the Colts only ran three routes the entire night. Hitch, slant, crossing route. Rinse and repeat.

Tha Saints knew that was his go to pass on blitzes and manning should have known better with his experience

Exactly. Its asking too much to expect a player to have a perfect game in the highest level of football. It happens but when it doesn't you can't blame that payer. The Saints played very well.
The GOAT doesnt hand away the game on the biggest drive of his life. No matter what excuses you want to make for him.

17 points is far from perfect except for one play by the way.

Hey, not mannings fault, there was no roof over the stadium.

Who gets the blame for those short passes over the middle down by two scores with less than two minutes left? Or that run play? Or throwing for yet another INT that thankfully for him was just out of bounds

Must be the receivers each time, running over the middle. Nope, he looked like he was aiming right for the middle of the field. Must have been the receiver in the end zone not getting in front of the defender...nope, he mugged him to prevent him from getting the ball to no avail. Must have been the running back not breaking it to the outside...nope, he didn't get much help on the play.

But don't blame Peyton, it's not his fault his "team let him down" :rolleyes:

I was joking about Manning being classless when he walked off the field.

But his comment on the bubble screen and 51 yard FG miss are totally classless and not becoming of a leader. Maybe if you converted the 3rd down, Peyton, you wouldn't need to kick a 51 yarder, especially from the foot of a guy who has been money in his career, but who is 1 of 8 from that distance in the playoffs.

Manning actually had a good game today. That pass to Clark was unreal.

he was 31/45 for 333 yards an 88.5 rating. The colts running game was good for 99 yards and Brackett had 13 tackles. I think the Saints won the game more than the Colts lost it. I'd blame the coaches more than the players as I felt they were too conservative with the Saints gaining momentum after the 10-0 lead.

I like to bash Manning for fun ... but he played well except for that 1 pass today.

Win or lose Jim Caldwell does a spot on Bernie Lomax

Well at least we did not give up and and pull him out of the game with over 5 minutes of play left.....where have I seen that at? Hmmm.... :confused:

Porter read it all the way and set up Peyton for the choke really nicely. If Porter jumps the route like that and it turns out to be a hitch and go though, Porter's the goat and it's an easy 6 for the Colts. Manning threw it pretty blind though, so yeah it was Favre-esque.

Manning threw four interceptable passes tonight. The bomb to Wayne (second quarter?), one over the middle to Collie which he had to knock out of Vilma's hands, the one to Wayne on the sideline which Jenkins nearly picked off, and then the actual INT itself.

You could argue the INT was simply a terrific defensive play by Porter, but the other three were awful passes. He had it coming. As always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes