PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: In the end it came down to DEFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Another reminder that it all comes down to defence.
NO offence sputterred and had time to come back because of their defence not only in the sb but through out the playoff.

THe saints defeated 3 HOF QB farve,manning and Kurt...amazing. Everygame when it counted the defence held.

Even in the SB the NO defence came to play. Also intresting that in 4th quater the saints went to there presure package and brought extra fresh DLine guys.They played base 3 DL all game and then in the 4th completely switched to 4-3 with extra guys.

It was not the interception but all the plays before where they hurried manning to throw fast and read fast that caused the interception.

Each redzone trip to the Colts,Vikings and Arizona was contested.

ofcourse the colts defence could not hang when the NO went 3/4 wide.

Now i have to order saints jersey for my wife who is a big brees fan lol.

Again a reminder that you need a full team to win a SB not some offensive or defensive or spl team dominance by 2 week parts.

Last edited:
Re: In the end it came down to DEFENCE

Not only did it come down to defence, but it also came down to DEFENSE. :D

Re: In the end it came down to DEFENSE

how do you edit this

EDIT ===> GO ADVANCED then you can edit the subject.

LOL, I noticed that as well. It's good to see our cousins adopting our superior British spelling! :bricks::p

Not sure I buy this, sure you need a well rounded team but of all the teams in the playoffs these two were two whose defense thrived off of high scoring offenses. IMO the offenses got both teams to the SB not the defenses.

Not sure I buy this, sure you need a well rounded team but of all the teams in the playoffs these two were two whose defense thrived off of high scoring offenses. IMO the offenses got both teams to the SB not the defenses.

NO scored 25 in the 2nd quater and Colts scored 7 which you think is normal?.

NO scored 25 in the 2nd quater and Colts scored 7 which you think is normal?.
I'm just saying that of all the playoff teams, these two probably had the biggest gap between their offense and defense. They were both there because of offense. I don't think this is a good time to be espousing defense.

No need, it's fine as it is.
It was bizarre seeing Superbowl coverage in the rags that pretend they are news services here all using "Defence" when I've become accustomed to "Defense" when it comes to American English.

THe saints defeated 3 HOF QB farve,manning and Kurt...amazing. Everygame when it counted the defence held.

That's what I kept arguing for the last 2 weeks. Mediots were making blanket statements about the Saints D and the Colts D without taking into consideration the quality of the opponents both faced in the playoffs.
The Colts D played two very weak and limited offenses in the Ravens and Jets while the Saints faced two of the best offenses in football in the Cards and Vikes. The mediots were also not looking at the Saints O vs the Colts D and they should have been. To me the Super Bowl was played in New Orleans between the 2 best teams in the NFL this year, the Saints and Vikings.
That's why I was confident the Saints would win yesterday. They were the better team all year long. What was going to beat the Saints was their nerves. Once they settled down in the 2nd qtr they were on their way.

It was one great play on defense that made the difference in the game, but the reason Drew Brees won MVP is because it would take a high powered offense to compete with the Colts. Why else do you think BB brought in Randy Moss?

I think our defense is capable of a performance like last night's.

Keep in mind Manning only had 3 meaningful drives to do anything in the 2nd half. He had 4 drives against our defense in the 4th quarter alone.

Not saying we don't need help defensively, but I don't think we're that far off from the defense we need. And if the Saints offense left the defense out to dry like ours did in the 2nd half they might have suffered the same letdown.

Last edited:

Another reminder that it all comes down to defence.
NO offence sputterred and had time to come back because of their defence not only in the sb but through out the playoff.

Even in the SB the NO defence came to play. Also intresting that in 4th quater the saints went to there presure package and brought extra fresh DLine guys.They played base 3 DL all game and then in the 4th completely switched to 4-3 with extra guys.

It was not the interception but all the plays before where they hurried manning to throw fast and read fast that caused the interception.

Each redzone trip to the Colts,Vikings and Arizona was contested.

ofcourse the colts defence could not hang when the NO went 3/4 wide.

Now i have to order saints jersey for my wife who is a big brees fan lol.

Again a reminder that you need a full team to win a SB not some offensive or defensive or spl team dominance by 2 week parts.

I for one don't buy it. We've won Super Bowls with great offensive performances and when our defense was horrible. Go back to the Panthers Super Bowl, and our offense deserves all the credit for winning that one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating an offense heavy team. Not at all. But I don't think you HAVE to have a great D to win.

The Saints employed the Giants strategy last night. They let the Colts run to shorten up the game. They knew that the Colts, like the Pats, would get frustrated and go to the pass eventually.

I for one don't buy it. We've won Super Bowls with great offensive performances and when our defense was horrible. Go back to the Panthers Super Bowl, and our offense deserves all the credit for winning that one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating an offense heavy team. Not at all. But I don't think you HAVE to have a great D to win.

The Saints employed the Giants strategy last night. They let the Colts run to shorten up the game. They knew that the Colts, like the Pats, would get frustrated and go to the pass eventually.

It did all come down to defense. As great as Manning is, his one flaw is he likes to stack on 3rd and short and go slant out and does this more often than not, and Porter was sitting on it and jumped the route. It was the same route Asante Samuel jumped in the '06 AFC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe