PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: How is everyone doing during this storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was pretty much a non-event here in Western MA, (Agawam). Some wind and rain, quite a few leaves in the pool, but no real damage. Right now the sun is out and there is a nice breeze.

NYC/Jersey City did not suffer that much damage even though there was mandatory evacuation in certain areas. Public bus service in NYC and Jersey City, which along with the train service was shut down since noon yesterday, might get restored by end of today, albeit at a very low level.

That said, many suburbs in NJ and NY have a lot of downed trees and powerlines and as a result, power cuts. Many low lying areas in the suburbs of both NY and NJ have potential flooding concerns.

My house floated away and now I am a stray. Authorities have yet to locate it yet.

Eff me I really should halve lived in a Houseboat on the lake.:D

Last edited:
Marlton, NJ got rain and a power outage from the 3rd quarter until noon today.

Otherwise, alot of ho-hum about nothing.

Everything is fine here, the neighbor kids decided to use our hot tub last night and woke us up about 12:30, They quited things down after I asked them to, Had to scold them for bringing glass in to the tub.

All in all dodged another bullet.

Hope all is well for my East Coast neighbors.

Gun how the hell did you end up as a Jets fan in OR? Although I don't have a lot of room to talk- I was born in OR, have lived in SC almost all of my life and I'm a Pats fan. :p

My freshly cut lawn is now full of leaves and little branches. It' horrible. I called a TV news crew to come and report on it.

A tree fell on my barn, but I don't see much damage. The goats are going to get at the leaves and bark tomorrow, so a happy event for them, if an expensive one for me.

The train systems in NY/NJ is going to take at least a day or two to get restored because of many downed trees and flooding on the tracks. Not sure about the NYC subway systemn.

Many areas in Long Island, NY, and Westchester, NY have been severally impacted with flooding in the basement. Ditto with many areas in NJ and Pennsylvania.

The rivers in many parts of NJ have a lot of flooding concerns. I just saw the footage of two rivers in Pennsylvania that breached their walls and it was scary! They were flowing at a good speed nearly at the height of a STOP sign in an intersection. Pity the housholds caught in such unfortunate areas.

As a follow up, two more trees have partially come down (all have been from the neighbors' yard). One hit the deck and one hit the roof. There are now 4 holes in the roof, part of the rafters will need repairing, and the deck suffered damage, but we can't assess it right now, due to how the trees fell.

I really hate trees near houses.

My freshly cut lawn is now full of leaves and little branches. It' horrible. I called a TV news crew to come and report on it.

This. Very overblown event.

7:15 this morning, walking out to my car to head to Dunks for the usual Sunday morning coffees. I park under a giant oak, as I'm walking to the car, about 10 feet from it, I hear this horribly loud shredding sound. The oak is coming down!, I U-turn and start running while at the same time trying to figure out the direction of the falling oak. Came right down on top of my car and literally stood over it, due to a giant stump that literally held it up and just over my car.

Power goes out on the entire street. This tree was so full and massive that I had no idea the extent of the damage. Neighbor comes over with his chain saw, we work our way to the driver's side. He starts chain sawing his way through, clears a path and I'm able to get the car out of it with out any damage, complete miracle, if not for that stump that it had landed on, the car would have been crushed. 10 second later, I could have been backing out right into it. Aside from that and keeping gas in the generator, everything's ok I guess.

15 deaths, 1,000,000 + without power, millions of $ worth of damage. I wouldn't exactly call this "overblown"

On a serious note, Irene was a tropical storm, not a hurricane.
I live in South Jersey where they evacuated 900K people along the shore - no real damage has been seen in most of those areas. There were 2 deaths in our state.
They shut down Atlantic City for only the 3rd time since gambling was legalized…I'd say that was a bit of an overreaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
7:15 this morning, walking out to my car to head to Dunks for the usual Sunday morning coffees. I park under a giant oak, as I'm walking to the car, about 10 feet from it, I hear this horribly loud shredding sound. The oak is coming down!, I U-turn and start running while at the same time trying to figure out the direction of the falling oak. Came right down on top of my car and literally stood over it, due to a giant stump that literally held it up and just over my car.

Power goes out on the entire street. This tree was so full and massive that I had no idea the extent of the damage. Neighbor comes over with his chain saw, we work our way to the driver's side. He starts chain sawing his way through, clears a path and I'm able to get the car out of it with out any damage, complete miracle, if not for that stump that it had landed on, the car would have been crushed. 10 second later, I could have been backing out right into it. Aside from that and keeping gas in the generator, everything's ok I guess.

Only the "Riddler" could escape the jaws of catastrophe in that fashion!

I hope for everyone to be safe, sound... and safe.

15 deaths, 1,000,000 + without power, millions of $ worth of damage. I wouldn't exactly call this "overblown"

Considering the scale we're talking about (~65 million people in the path of the storm), it's not unreasonable to call it overblown. Compared the amount of news coverage it got (24 hours a day for the last two days or so), it wasn't all that bad.

Hurricane Isabel, the last real notable hurricane to hit the east coast, left more than 5 million without power and was the cause of over 30 deaths, but it didn't receive nearly the same coverage in the days leading up to it. I lived in the path of that storm (which was a Cat 5 just a few days before landfall) and did not get the same sense of fear-mongering that I got with this one.

The reason it's a problem is because there will be a real nasty storm one day and people are not going to listen to the cries of "wolf" from the media.

No storm here...just record heat.

Considering the scale we're talking about (~65 million people in the path of the storm), it's not unreasonable to call it overblown. Compared the amount of news coverage it got (24 hours a day for the last two days or so), it wasn't all that bad.

Hurricane Isabel, the last real notable hurricane to hit the east coast, left more than 5 million without power and was the cause of over 30 deaths, but it didn't receive nearly the same coverage in the days leading up to it. I lived in the path of that storm (which was a Cat 5 just a few days before landfall) and did not get the same sense of fear-mongering that I got with this one.

The reason it's a problem is because there will be a real nasty storm one day and people are not going to listen to the cries of "wolf" from the media.

This was the super bowl for the weather channel, big hype for storms equal big ratings.

I agree with the whole "cry wolf" theory. One day, a big store will arrive and many people will dismiss it, because of the media.

Here in NS : maybe something will happen in the next few hours, but other than the power flicking a couple of times, nothing. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back