PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gordie Howe passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i was 18 i was working at a gas station in CT
When I was 18 he was still playing for The Whale:
tumblr_kuj971AJYR1qaxe6do1_500.jpg

Hard to imagine these days a 50 year old guy throwing himself around in a NHL game with no helmet.

Gordie Howe (and Bobby Hull) were to me as a kid, not just hockey stars but any-sport gods. Besides being incredibly talented in comparison to their competition, the two - especially Howe - were tough as nails. I didn't catch Howe in his prime, but my father told me many tales of his legacy on ice that were never caught on camera nor mentioned by announcers at that time. It was certainly a whole different era.

RIP to an absolute all-sport legend.

What a legend, played professional hockey with his kids, not many pro athletes get to do that. An All Star and an enforcer he was a MAN.

May be the only time.

MY absolute favorite memory of Gordie was in a game against the Bruins around 1970. He was in the slot trying to get position and Don Awrey was behind him trying to hold him from getting free.

All of a sudden Howe gives Awrey a quick elbow up under his jaw. At that same moment the referee was calling a holding penalty on Awrey. As the refs right arm went up for the penalty his left arm was pointing at Awrey. The ref followed Awrey as he went down to the ice unconscious, pointing at him the whole way.

When Awrey woke up a few moments later (talk about resting in peace) he found out that he was heading to the penalty box. For some reason that memory has stuck with me for over 40 years.

RIP Gordie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore