PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre continues his streak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Favre continues his streak

Favre played a hell of a game, especially given the beating he took. As for those who wanted him to run, you may wish to recall that Favre had gotten his ankle injured and had to get it re-taped.

I agree with this. Also when I saw the reply there seemed to be a LB waiting for him not too far down the field. Even though Aikman says he could have run for it I seriously doubt it. It looked like the Saints had the run covered. He had no choice but to try and force a pass. I would rather see him try and get intercepted then try to run for it or just throw the ball away. Not saying it was the best outcome just saying he had to take a gamble at some point.

The problem with the last drive was calling so many run plays when they were just out of field goal range and the 12 man penalty. Not really his interception.

The INT was a throw they teach a 12 year old not to make. There is no excuse for it.

Favre claimed after the game he didn't run because he didn't know how many yards he would have needed to set up the field goal. That is an embarassing failure all around for both him and the coaching staff. How do they not once but twice go into the huddle and call a play there not knowing how many yards they want to pick up?

I don't like Longwell's chances from 55 yds (which is what the FG would have been since the ball was at the 38 - like all things revolving aorund Favre it is being exagerrated to 57 yds) but Favre's terrible play gave them no chance.

Kudos to Favre, he got hit so many times last night and kept getting back up. The man is a legend, yeah that Int was not good at the end of the game but to have played as well as he did for so long this season and for most of last night at 40 years of age is just an incredible feat.

The fumbles cost the Vikings bigtime last night, Favre would have been taking a knee in regular time only for that.

I didn't like him after '96 for obvious reasons but I respected him always, and I now realise just how fierce a competitor he is and I identify with people like that.

3 year in a row throwing an INT to end the season. Guess he won't retire now

The last 4 times he's been to the play-offs, he's ended the season by throwing an Interception. This is nothing new..He reverted back to the Farve of old and felt the need to be a gunslinger.. And it cost them.

I gotta say I really felt bad for him man. I'm glad the Saints won, but to blow it like that (again) after coming so far you could really see it wearing on him after the game.

Our QB has obviously had better finishes in his last four postseason appearances.

vs. Baltimore
Incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, sack.

vs. NYG
Incomplete, sack, incomplete, incomplete

vs. Indy
Interception

vs. Denver
Interception

Well, maybe not.

Sure there were two crucial interceptions, but I blame the DBs of New Orleans for that. They need some work on the juggs machine. He threw at least two more right in their laps.

Favre played a hell of a game, especially given the beating he took. As for those who wanted him to run, you may wish to recall that Favre had gotten his ankle injured and had to get it re-taped.

You do realize that he was throwing on the run when he made that terrible decision. He was injured yes, but all he had to do was throw it away, or keep running and slide, or run out of bounds....any of these and the Vikes have a great chance to win that game. Favre did a great job this year not making those decisions....until that last play!

You do realize that he was throwing on the run when he made that terrible decision. He was injured yes, but all he had to do was throw it away, or keep running and slide, or run out of bounds....any of these and the Vikes have a great chance to win that game. Favre did a great job this year not making those decisions....until that last play!

It's been said on this thread, and Dilfer talked about it very well last night (man, is he a great analyst), but making that decision is exactly what accounts for Favre's great plays, as well. It's what makes Favre Favre.

The Vikes shouldn't have been in that position. People can call him a choker, but he played magnificently under incredible duress for most of the game, and if not for some terrible clock management that probably falls on Childress more than anyone, it should have just been a run on 3rd down to seal the FG opportunity.

Well, to be fair, this year he played like hell in the last game. If overtime rules were different, they might have won.

For whatever else you can say about Favre, for this game, he was NOT the reason his team lost.

Ummmmm, did you miss the INT that he threw across the field into double coverage? Who do you blame for that? and if he was not the reason for that, than who was?

Now if you are going to do the whole Chaos threory of if this had not happened than this and than that, that does not work. Bottom line, he threw a pass into the center of the field across his body. They were in field goal range. Would the guy have made it? Who knows - but Farve did not give the guy a chance, did he?

Ummmmm, did you miss the INT that he threw across the field into double coverage? Who do you blame for that? and if he was not the reason for that, than who was?

Now if you are going to do the whole Chaos threory of if this had not happened than this and than that, that does not work. Bottom line, he threw a pass into the center of the field across his body. They were in field goal range. Would the guy have made it? Who knows - but Farve did not give the guy a chance, did he?

They weren't in FG range at that time...

It's been said on this thread, and Dilfer talked about it very well last night (man, is he a great analyst), but making that decision is exactly what accounts for Favre's great plays, as well. It's what makes Favre Favre.

The Vikes shouldn't have been in that position. People can call him a choker, but he played magnificently under incredible duress for most of the game, and if not for some terrible clock management that probably falls on Childress more than anyone, it should have just been a run on 3rd down to seal the FG opportunity.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not laying this loss on Favre. Deus was making a point that Favre probably didn't run because he had an ankle injury in the game. My point was that he was running when he threw the pick, so that argument is worthless. Favre is certainly not the big reason why they lost the game, the turnovers were. With that said though, if he would have thrown it away or run with the ball....then all those turnovers wouldn't have mattered (provided they made the FG) I actually like the play call for the last play....Farve had the opportunity to get 12 yards or so and go down/out of bounds which would have taken it from a 57 yard try to a 45.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not laying this loss on Favre. Deus was making a point that Favre probably didn't run because he had an ankle injury in the game. My point was that he was running when he threw the pick, so that argument is worthless. Favre is certainly not the big reason why they lost the game, the turnovers were. With that said though, if he would have thrown it away or run with the ball....then all those turnovers wouldn't have mattered (provided they made the FG) I actually like the play call for the last play....Farve had the opportunity to get 12 yards or so and go down/out of bounds which would have taken it from a 57 yard try to a 45.

Understood, and on that basic point, I agree. When he was rolling out & close to the LOS, I even said "whew, he's going to run it," because I was afraid of what might happen. I didn't even have a real rooting interest in the game, but I just didn't want to feel bad for Favre again, as I do now.

For all of the excitement he has given the NFL over the years, he probably deserves better than to have a big part of his legacy be the 3 INT's he has ended the last 3 seasons with....

Our QB has obviously had better finishes in his last four postseason appearances.

vs. Baltimore
Incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, sack. Please note it is NOT an interception.

vs. NYG
Incomplete, sack, incomplete, incomplete Please note it is NOT an interception.

vs. Indy
Interception

vs. Denver
Interception

Well, maybe not.

You need to review Favre's interceptions. 3 of 4 of them led to his opponents scoring points to give them the win. Neither of the 2 interceptions you mentioned led to Colts or Broncos getting Points to win.

Favre had his moments, he also made critical mistakes. Made some great throws under pressure. Let's not forget though a couple dropped picks by Jabari Greer and someone else I think. He could've ended the day with 3 or 4 picks. It was an okay game considering the beating he took, not a great one not a bad one.

The fumbles are where Minnesota lost the game. You're right it's not Brett's fault they lost. But he had his hand in it.

Well, to be fair, this year he played like hell in the last game. If overtime rules were different, they might have won.

For whatever else you can say about Favre, for this game, he was NOT the reason his team lost.
Yeah, he was. He had yards of green space in from of him. He hobbles a few years, hook slides, and the Vikes kick a FG to win. Instead he did what he always does in tight games. He choked.

Three years in a row ending a season with a pic. Do I hear four?

...and if you dont respect Favre after that game, then you never will. The dude is a machine. Got broken in half, got up, got his legs and ankels destroyed (which is 100% a flag every time by the way) and still didnt miss a play.
You got that right. I never will.

The dude is a machine, alright, a heart-break machine. Drew Bledsoe played just as tough as Favre, and broke your heart the same way. Lead you on, then throw the game away.

If not for Desmond Howard, Favre wouldn't even have a SB win.

The guy chokes in tough games, and if you don't see that, you are in denial.

We don't know that, Green Bay still would've had a 6 point lead with the ball had it not happened. And I'm not about to put my full faith in Bledsoe getting the lead back. I don't like Favre either and I think he's no longer reliable in the playoffs, but in his prime he was as good as it gets. 2 big TD throws and ran one in too in that Super Bowl, no TO's I can recall. It was a great performance. He also did well in the next super bowl, almost well enough to win but Denver just outgunned them.

You need to review Favre's interceptions. 3 of 4 of them led to his opponents scoring points to give them the win. Neither of the 2 interceptions you mentioned led to Colts or Broncos getting Points to win.

And that makes it so much better. Point is, that neither our superstar QB or their superstar QB ended the season looking like a superstar.

You got that right. I never will.

The dude is a machine, alright, a heart-break machine. Drew Bledsoe played just as tough as Favre, and broke your heart the same way. Lead you on, then throw the game away.

The guy chokes in tough games, and if you don't see that, you are in denial.

In denial about what? I dont really care about Favre choking or not. I'm just calling it as I see it. I'm a pats fan, not a min or NO fan, and the only people that chocked in that game last night were the refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back