PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Commish telling Packers to make a desicion

Status
Not open for further replies.
what makes no sense is that Farve has not even decided what he wants to do. As stated earlier, he is retired and has not filed any papers with the NFL informing them of his intentions to come back and play. So until he makes up his mind, why should the Paxkers have to do anything? Its almost like Farve and Goodell want to know what the Packers will do if Frave wants to come back, and then Farve will make his mind up. Sorry Brett, its does not work that way. Or at least, it shouldn't. You made the decision to retire, and now it should be up to you to make the first move as to what you want to do. Until then, the Packers should not have to do a thing and Goodell should stay out of it.

its all about ratings and image of the league and the commish thinks favre playing helps both so he is actually forcing the issue. iam just disgusted the amount of power a player holds over the league that he chooses to do what he wants with the commish on his side. the packers will be forced to trade him even if they dont get a good deal which is messed up...

Clouseau strikes again!

What is there to resolve, anyways?
Farve retired. He.s done.
If Faver wants to come back, Faevr will have to go through the normal procedures everyone else not named Farve has to go through.
Now Goodell wants to appease the whining Varfre.

That's all.
I just can't figure out any more ways to misspell Favre.

This guy is ******ed. First, he completely botched the cameragate situation to the point where it dragged out two months longer than it really should have. Now he's actually stepping in to teams' business? Goodell is a Nazi. He has no business telling the Packers or any other team what they need to do with their players and their money. I long for the Tagliabue days. What a great commissioner he was. Then he stepped down and was replaced this guy. What a complete 180. Hopefully, ownership around the league will get sick of this guy and vote him out.

I can't even imagine what in the world is going through Goodell's brain.

Is this guy the David Stern of the NFL? I think he imagines that he is.

Pete Rozelle is turning over in his grave right now.

He reminds me of the Anti Christ in the "Left Behind" book series. He just keeps getting a little more power and a little more power and then one day, BAM!, he'll have a statue and expect us all to travel to it and witness his resurrection.

This guy needs out. Now.

Last edited:
Yeah, they can. He is retired, not an active NFL player. He can't simply show up to practice.

The only way they have to accept him is if he files re-instatement papers.
Then the Pack has to let him in or cut him. Or trade him.

EXCEPT, they can still deny him entry, as the Dolphins did with Culpepper and the Titans did with McNair. Favre would have to file a grievance, which would be upheld, but that would give the Pack another month to decide what to do. That is the only scenario that makes sense if they are working a trade. You don't want him in camp, disrupting things or worse getting injured and ruining a trade and forcing the Packl to absorb his IR salary.

Anyway, Favre's agent says Favre has no intention of filing re-instatement papers. Favre wants to play. He doesn't want to go to training camp.

I was working on the assumption that he would have filed his re-instatement papers. What team is gonna let him show up on August 30th and start the opener? He's going to have to go to some training camp. The Packers can deny him entry at the beginning, but eventually that's going to force their hand. If I'm not mistaken, the two situations you referneced occured in the off-season and a decision was made before training camp.

Favre has been getting bad advice throughout this entire episode, including the latest, the decision to not file for reinstatement based on the idea that doing so would avoid fines for not reporting to camp. With the amount of money Favre has been paid over the years, he can't afford those fines? Give me a break. As it is now the Packers can stand back and do nothing; Favre is retired. Favre should file for reinstatement, report to camp, and force the Packers to make a decision.

Does Goodell believe that the Packers and Favre (BTW, 363839, I got a chuckle out of your alternative spellings) want this situation to drag on?

If there was a solution out there that both parties would be happy with, this story would already be over. The trouble is, they haven't reached that point yet. Having a third party step in and demand a resolution doesn't help the process.

On what legal or league rule basis does Goodell issue this edict? If the owners granted him this specifc power then they have no right to complain. My take is that His Excellency has simply assumed the power.

It will be very interesting to see how hard he comes down on the Vikes for tampering with Lord Faavree.

Last edited:
GOODELL TELLS PACKERS TO WRAP UP FAVRE FIASCO

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2008, 7:17 a.m. EDT

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has advised Packers G.M. Ted Thompson to truly move on without Brett Favre if the team plans to move on without Brett Favre.

If I were the Packers, I'd tell Goodell to mind his own business. What could he honestly do the Packers? As long as they stay within their rights under the CBA, Goodell has no authority.

If I were the Packers, I'd tell Goodell to mind his own business. What could he honestly do the Packers? As long as they stay within their rights under the CBA, Goodell has no authority.
Who knows? Maybe the league bylaws allow him to take any action that he deems to be in the best interest of the NFL (in his opinion of course).

LMAO @ RW's Samuel L. Jackson mini-"vid"...lol

"Goodell talked to Packers GM Ted Thompson, who confirmed the team was ready to move on without Favre. Goodell asked Thompson to begin exploring the market for the disgruntled QB, according to WEAU 13, an NBC television affiliate in Wisconsin.

The report also says Goodell told Thompson that he will reinstate Favre as an active player, should he make the request and that the commissioner has also spoken to Favre and promised his assistance."

Holy Macaroni. Is this type of dictum included in The Sheriff's job description:bricks: I mean-wtf. I realize we should probably wait for more info,etcetcetc- but he just gets more and more bizarre with each passing day... if I had the energy right now I'd go back and look up each and every decision he's made since he arrived at NFL/CIA just to confirm my overall impression but I don't think there's a need. H's so micro it's scary.

The Favre drama hasn't even gone on that long to begin with, certainly not so long that we need outside reinforcements yet :rolleyes:

If all the info on this situation is so far accurate and correct, and it turns out that GODell's acting within his scope as Commishioner, then the implications are mind boggling indeed. It'll be interesting to get reactions from around the league. I hope someone interviews the Tuna :rofl:

"Goodell talked to Packers GM Ted Thompson, who confirmed the team was ready to move on without Favre. Goodell asked Thompson to begin exploring the market for the disgruntled QB, according to WEAU 13, an NBC television affiliate in Wisconsin.

The report also says Goodell told Thompson that he will reinstate Favre as an active player, should he make the request and that the commissioner has also spoken to Favre and promised his assistance."

Holy Macaroni. Is this type of dictum included in The Sheriff's job description:bricks: I mean-wtf. I realize we should probably wait for more info,etcetcetc- but he just gets more and more bizarre with each passing day... if I had the energy right now I'd go back and look up each and every decision he's made since he arrived at NFL/CIA just to confirm my overall impression but I don't think there's a need. H's so micro it's scary.

The Favre drama hasn't even gone on that long to begin with, certainly not so long that we need outside reinforcements yet :rolleyes:

If all the info on this situation is so far accurate and correct, and it turns out that GODell's acting within his scope as Commishioner, then the implications are mind boggling indeed. It'll be interesting to get reactions from around the league. I hope someone interviews the Tuna :rofl:

Sorry about the double post- whatever happened was unintentional.

Last edited:
Who knows? Maybe the league bylaws allow him to take any action that he deems to be in the best interest of the NFL (in his opinion of course).

Looks like you could be right. Seems to me that Commish Gang Green jumps the gun way too quickly on issues and goes way overboard when trying to "protect" the NFL product. He might have good intentions but the manner in which he approaches situations makes it seem like the Commissioner's job is above his grasp. He was too hard on the Pats too quickly w/"spygate" causing an uproar from all sides. In this situation w/Favre he shouldn't get involved at all, there is a cba in place to handle these type of situations and until Favre files for re-instatement this should be a non-issue. I've never seen any Commissioner continually choke over a spoonful of water more than this guy. Can't wait to see what he does w/the Vikings' tampering situation.

www.kffl.com

NFL | Goodell to serve as mediator
Wed, 23 Jul 2008

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is serving as mediator between the Green Bay Packers and QB Brett Favre. Goodell said it is disturbing the way the public battle between the team and Favre was happening and said it reflected bad on the NFL.

Commish Gang Green has to allow Ted Thompson to do what's best for the Packers, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back