PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Sign Derek Wolfe to 4 Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Through 2019

I presume this is the minimum starting point for a Jones/Sheard extension.

That's a hefty sum for a serial cheater.

But then again, it's the Broncos...:rolleyes:

He's played well for them. From afar, it looks like he battle some injuries every now and then, but his play warrants the extension.

He's played well for them. From afar, it looks like he battle some injuries every now and then, but his play warrants the extension.

I think it's slightly high myself, but maybe that's just what players of that caliber at DE get anymore, and I'm just not quite used to it.

Very interesting to throw Sheard's situation into the mix for guys who need to be extended next offseason. We really weren't thinking about all that much at the beginning of the season.

Hard to see both being retained, although Sheard would really be taking over for Ninkovich. What to do? What to do? I'm guessing the development of the two rookies may help in solving this problem after yet another year goes by.

If you could lock up one of them for this contract do it now and trade the other while you can to maximize the value.

I think it's slightly high myself, but maybe that's just what players of that caliber at DE get anymore, and I'm just not quite used to it.
Which is why I think Jones is gone. Sheard has shown he can be an adequate replacement, though I have not seen what he is like wire-to-wire. There can be a difference when you go from being rotational to being depended on full-time. Jones will always be a player I like and I will follow his career no matter what team he is on, but I also view him as very inconsistent and not worthy of top dollar at his position. My biggest issue with him is that his plays never really happen when it "matters" most. I put that word in quotations because a sack is always going to matter per se. But take a guy like Ninko, where he may not get sacks in volume, but they come at critical points in the game where they change field position or possession. I have so many of those that I can list for him, but not as many for Jones (if any).

Which is why I think Jones is gone. Sheard has shown he can be an adequate replacement, though I have not seen what he is like wire-to-wire. There can be a difference when you go from being rotational to being depended on full-time. Jones will always be a player I like and I will follow his career no matter what team he is on, but I also view him as very inconsistent and not worthy of top dollar at his position. My biggest issue with him is that his plays never really happen when it "matters" most. I put that word in quotations because a sack is always going to matter per se. But take a guy like Ninko, where he may not get sacks in volume, but they come at critical points in the game where they change field position or possession. I have so many of those that I can list for him, but not as many for Jones (if any).

I share your skepticism regarding the possibility of keeping Jones beyond next year, and I agree that he hasn't been consistent enough for whatever reason.

I think Sheard would be the replacement at LDE though, and that a longer term extension would likely move Ninkovich, who would either agree to stay on as a role player, or who we may move on from after the completion of the 2016 season.

does he get a bonus for PED use?

patsderoer must be proud. That guy was head over heels for Wolfe.

With the cap expected to make a big jump for 2016, we can expect to see contract numbers on the rise again.

I share your skepticism regarding the possibility of keeping Jones beyond next year, and I agree that he hasn't been consistent enough for whatever reason.

I think Sheard would be the replacement at LDE though, and that a longer term extension would likely move Ninkovich, who would either agree to stay on as a role player, or who we may move on from after the completion of the 2016 season.
Hey Fly, I agree with almost everything. But I don't think we move on from Ninko unless there is a noticeable decline in his play. He does (and means) too much for this team. His impact doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, and I personally don't view him as being too long in the tooth (so to speak) to already be thinking of moving on. I mean he just signed the ext. like last year, no?

Ninko is the type of player BB loves. He's just a tick below Vrabel. And I know how it ended with Vrabes, but I don't see it going the same way with Ninko. In fact, there have been people since who have talked about how that move was one that BB kind of regretted a bit . . . though "regretted" is a bit strong. I just could not think of a better word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes