PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bills hire female special teams coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I have no idea why anyone would think a female NFL ref would underperform her male colleagues. The discussion was, is or should be about the introduction into a highly violent sport with a behind the scenes underbelly that will contain socially unacceptable speech and mannerisms. And since society traditionally provides special protection, customs and law, for females from violence and a seemly underbelly, logic absolutely dictates that a discussion be had about what the ramifications are when one is introduced into the other.

That's not sexist, mean or anything else other than pragmatic. Unfortunately rarely is pragmatism part of discussions on these subjects.

I thought she did a pretty lousy job in the Eagles game, but I don't think that is because she lacks a Y chromosome.

FAir enough. I agree, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the lousy job she did and the lousy job the other 99% do.

I had almost completely forgotten about the female ref until reminded by this thread. So tell me, those who wore moaning about it when it happened, has it changed the game in horrific ways for you? Do you even notice she's there? Because I sure as hell didn't except when that non-story about BB trying to explain something to her happened.
If BB agrees it was a "non-story," I'll go with that. But I do seem to recall her egregiously missing multiple false starts by the Eagles (not kidding about that).

If BB agrees it was a "non-story," I'll go with that. But I do seem to recall her egregiously missing multiple false starts by the opposition (not kidding about that).

Did she miss those false starts because she's a girl or because the refs in general are lousy?

It's whatever anyone wants it to be, should the interpretation occur. I have had more than one person assume I'm male in any event.

I might also point out there's a rather large difference between me using a play on words as a joke and the actual "perpetuation of an unfair patriarchal society."

Just answerin'...

No actually you aren't "just answerin" B-Chick. Simple questions: (1)did you select your name with the intention of identifying your gender? Doesn't matter if it also included someone thinking your male or you like baby chickens. The term "chick" indicates gender and you either did or did not select it as a gender idetifier (whether to play on words or anything else). (2) Are you aware that "chick" is considered a terribly derogatory term by a distinct minority of people but that minority is, seemingly, the core part of your ideology?

Just askin and answerin :)

Did she miss those false starts because she's a girl or because the refs in general are lousy?
Perhaps it was because she's new at the job. Or maybe she was rushed into it unprepared because the league wanted to make a headline-grabbing PR/marketing move pandering to the female fan base (which several women I know believe to be true).

If BB agrees it was a "non-story," I'll go with that. But I do seem to recall her egregiously missing multiple false starts by the Eagles (not kidding about that).

If you can idientify that as a problem specific to her and not more widespread then I think you are on to something. Otherwise, from what little I know of it, she is performing at a level that is normal...

Perhaps it was because she's new at the job. Or maybe she was rushed into it unprepared because the league wanted to make a headline-grabbing PR/marketing move pandering to the female fan base (which several women I know believe to be true).

It could definitely be because she's new at the job. As to your second point, if she was rushed into it, it's deeply embarrassing for the league that I notice no difference between her performance and the rest of them.

If you can idientify that as a problem specific to her and not more widespread then I think you are on to something. Otherwise, from what little I know of it, she is performing at a level that is normal...
She was line judge, directly responsible for reffing offsides and encroachment. The Eagles offensive line got a free pass on multiple occasions. I bore witness in person.

It could definitely be because she's new at the job. As to your second point, if she was rushed into it, it's deeply embarrassing for the league that I notice no difference between her performance and the rest of them.
It helps to know individual responsibilities of the various officials. Plus, she's easy to spot.

No actually you aren't "just answerin" B-Chick. Simple questions: (1)did you select your name with the intention of identifying your gender? Doesn't matter if it also included someone thinking your male or you like baby chickens. The term "chick" indicates gender and you either did or did not select it as a gender idetifier (whether to play on words or anything else). (2) Are you aware that "chick" is considered a terribly derogatory term by a distinct minority of people but that minority is, seemingly, the core part of your ideology?

Just askin and answerin :)

LOL, are you kidding me? Chick is not derogatory unless you are from the era where you are driving around in Greased Lightening and singing duets with Olivia Newton-John. LOL!

Ooooh, by ideology do you mean, gasp, being a FEMINIST? Am I betraying the cause? Will I have to turn in my birkenstocks?

THE HORROR!

Plus, she's easy to spot.

If you're looking for her, I suppose.

Although I'm sure that big sign she has to wear that reads I HAVE BREASTS probably does make her stand out a little.

If you're looking for her, I suppose.

Although I'm sure that big sign she has to wear that reads I HAVE BREASTS probably does make her stand out a little.
I didn't notice her boobs specifically, just that she looks like a boy in the ref's uniform and all her hair is stuffed under her hat.

She was line judge, directly responsible for reffing offsides and encroachment. The Eagles offensive line got a free pass on multiple occasions. I bore witness in person.

Doesn't answer the question though. Was her errors abnormal on a league wide sample and of the kind that are specific to her only? If not then are those kind of errors she made routine enough to consider it a norm of refereeing?
Seems to me, anecdotal I admit, hers are errors that other male refs also make. Most ref crews make some pretty bad errors which leads me to believe her errors are normal refereeing. No?

Doesn't answer the question though. Was her errors abnormal on a league wide sample and of the kind that are specific to her only? If not then are those kind of errors she made routine enough to consider it a norm of refereeing? Seems to me, anecdotal I admit, hers are errors that other male refs also make. Most ref crews make some pretty bad errors which leads me to believe her errors are normal refereeing. No?
Well, it sure would be interesting to see how she graded out for the season. I suspect BB's in-game tutorial helped her learning curve.

Bill Belichick weirdly put his arms way too close to NFL's only female official

LOL, are you kidding me? Chick is not derogatory unless you are from the era where you are driving around in Greased Lightening and singing duets with Olivia Newton-John. LOL!

Ooooh, by ideology do you mean, gasp, being a FEMINIST? Am I betraying the cause? Will I have to turn in my birkenstocks?

THE HORROR!

Now you're getting it Chick! :)
-Despite your belief Sandy and Danny are the only ones that thought "Chick" was derogatory, the term "chick" is considered a contemporary derogatory by a select group of ideologues.
-No not specific to "feminists" ("feminist" never entered my mind, PCism did), this is for all those that march under the banner of PCism (an ideology that seeks to stop thought and pragmatism), and how those who do march under it and expect others to follow it can rarely follow it themselves.
-Ultimately what I am getting at is your inability to admit something so completely innocuous and without any negative connotation. You far more likely than not used the word "Chick" in your screenname as a play on your gender. Great! It's a good name. I like it a lot -- I suspect many here do. Yet you have gone to lengths to not admit that 'Chick' was a word play on your gender. Why? If Chick is not a derogatory then why? If PCism really that important that you could not simply state why you have your screenname then you're doing yourself a disservice.

Well, it sure would be interesting to see how she graded out for the season. I suspect BB's in-game tutorial helped her learning curve.

Bill Belichick weirdly put his arms way too close to NFL's only female official

Agreed. If a fair rating system would be employed it would be interesting to see. I have strong suspicion she would not grade out the worst. However, a fair system and the NFL are not cohesive terms. The NFL is about PR. And once that became the case we might as well forget about fair (or honest).

Agreed. If a fair rating system would be employed it would be interesting to see. I have strong suspicion she would not grade out the worst. However, a fair system and the NFL are not cohesive terms. The NFL is about PR. And once that became the case we might as well forget about fair (or honest).
I'm curious upon what you base your "strong suspicion" that she didn't grade out as the league's worst line judge. Unfortunately, we'll never know. We do know she didn't make any of the "all-star" playoff crews.

I'm curious upon what you base your "strong suspicion" that she didn't grade out as the league's worst line judge. Unfortunately, we'll never know. We do know she didn't make any of the "all-star" playoff crews.

Based on:
(A) I suspect the ability to learn the rulebook and watch film in order to indentify a rule violation isn't a male centric ability.
(B) 1 female referee/X amount of referees = statistically unlikely.

To be fair to her she is new. The NFL probably rushed her along, too, to satisfy their deflategate type PR mindset. She really should be given time before a judgment can be passed on her ability to ref a game (a small amount of latitude should be given to all newby refs, no?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes