PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Andrew Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I really hate Miami for this shenanigan. I think they need to institute a draft lottery.
There's really no need to overhaul the entire system, especially when you consider that when you look at #1 overalls, you see just as many busts as guys who pan out. When I think of the best QB's in the game today, Brady, Rogers, (a healthy) Manning and Brees, I only see 1 top overall pick. And here are the last 10 #1 QB's:

Bradford (2010) and Stafford (2009): Jury's still out, with the early returns suggesting that Stafford is the real deal, Bradford not so much.

JaMarcus Russell (2007) and Alex Smith (2005): 2 complete busts, although Smith seems intent on salvaging his career this season. Let's just say if he were thrown back in the draft tomorrow, he'd be lucky to be a day 1 selection

Eli Manning (2004), Carson Palmer (2003), Michael Vick (2001): I categorize each of these guys as good-but-not-great.

David Carr (2002), Tim Couch (1999): Busts, although each had the misfortune of stepping into expansion teams.

Peyton Manning (1998): Hall of Fame caliber QB

Having Mallet means nothing. If the Patriots could get Luck and think the same of him as most others seem to, they'd push Mallet out the door faster than you can say "successor".

You deal in hypotheticals, I deal in facts. The Pats are as close to having the #1 overall pick as the Miami dolphins are close to winning the Superbowl this year. Mallet is on the Patriots roster and signed to a contract. Luck is still playing college ball and will likely be going #1 overall in the 2012 draft.

True or False: A player on our roster is more likely to make an impact than a player who is NEVER on the roster?

There's a reason people are saying the things they are about Luck, just like there's a reason Mallett fell to the 4th.

I don't understand why people would get all butthurt that they are talking the kid up. Unless you have a good reason to think he won't be any good, why would you care?

Mallet was a 3rd round pick, not a 4th. In no way am I saying that Mallett is as highly regarded a prospect as Luck going into the draft. But in terms of tools, I don't think he lacks anything physically besides mobility. Arm strength, height, build, athleticism are all there: 6-6, 250, cannon arm. As far as mental ability, I just don't know yet. He hasn't been tested enough to make an accurate assessment. But BB has a better idea of what Mallet can do than we do.

But in the great scheme of things this discussion about Luck is moot as far as the Pats are concerned. I don't see the Saints tanking badly enough for the Pats to even have a shot.

Last edited:
You deal in hypotheticals, I deal in facts.

Yes, when dealing with a hypothetical, I deal in hypotheticals. That's generally how it's done. As for you dealing with facts, I'd say that's debatable.

The Pats are as close to having the #1 overall pick as the Miami dolphins are close to winning the Superbowl this year. Mallet is on the Patriots roster and signed to a contract. Luck is still playing college ball and will likely be going #1 overall in the 2012 draft.

And the discussion has been varied, with people such as myself floating the notion of the Patriots trying to get Luck. Perhaps you should have read the thread before posting. Hell, perhaps you should have read the words of mine that you quoted, since it was specifically about trading for the kid and not about the Patriots somehow sucking enough to get the #1 overall pick.

True or False: A player on our roster is more likely to make an impact than a player who is NEVER on the roster?

True or false: I don't give a rat's ass about your question since it ignores what I've been saying in the thread, even though you actually quoted my post talking about trading for the kid.

Last edited:
Hell, perhaps you should have read the words of mine that you quoted, since it was specifically about trading for the kid and not about the Patriots somehow sucking enough to get the #1 overall pick.

Oh, so you were proposing pulling a 'Ditka' to get Luck. It looks like I mistakenly gave you more credit than that. I stand corrected. :D

Last edited:
I really have no idea who Luck is..whenever anything to do with college football or MLB, on ESPN or whatever network, thats when the FF button comes in great use for me.

Oh, I didn't realize you were proposing pulling a 'Ditka' to get Luck. I guess I mistakenly gave you more credit than that. I stand corrected. :D

Get back to me when you learn the difference in import between a running back and a quarterback.

I know one thing, the kid is about as homely as Pey-Me-A-Ton, and that's saying something. :eek:

I know one thing, the kid is about as homely as Pey-Me-A-Ton, and that's saying something. :eek:

I'd rather be a homely Millionaire than a handsome studly pauper

If you're a guy it doesn't matter how butt ugly you are if you are wealthy and famous. If you don't believe me, just ask Mick Jagger.

If you're a guy it doesn't matter how butt ugly you are if you are wealthy and famous. If you don't believe me, just ask Mick Jagger.

Keith Richards is WAY more of an outstanding example...

Patti Hansen

google her...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes