PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Andrew Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Colts get the top pick AND if Manning says he can go a few more years I don't see the Colts spending enormous amounts of cash on a backup for 3 or more years...of course this all is if Peyton gets healthy enough to play.

There will be teams ready to give up their first born to Indy for Luck such as Miami,Tennessee,Minnesota and perhaps Seattle and Arizona,Indy would have more picks for the next few years then they could count and could fill holes all over that defense,OL and RB position

Carolina,like Indy is in the drivers seat if they get #1 - At least Carolina can say the long term future looks like Newton and would certainly not go for Luck and then stockpile boatloads of picks in a trade for the top spot.

IMO Miami and Minnesota are the teams that if #1 will definitely use
the pick for Luck....I just don't see Luck in Indy unless Manning announces an early retirement

Andrew Luck was made to start for the team that drafts him from day one like Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan ...Luck will not be holding a clipboard for years at what he will be earning unless he screws up badly during camp.

$90Mill for Manning (starter for another 3-4 years)
$60+Mill for Luck (backup) as #1 pick

Perfect....Colts might as well fill the rest of the roster with IU UDFA's and pencil themselves in as bottom dwellers in AFC South

Teams will not fork over too many picks for Luck - simply put the economics of today's NFL vs. price teams would have to pay to move up draft board for a guy like him #1. I suppose there's always a Vikings GM, or Mike Ditka or Al Davis lunatics roving around to pay a stupid price, but doubt it in this case

He is still "potential", and as seen since 1998 you have following #1 QB's drafted, with mostly below average return...

complete busts
Couch, Carr, Smith, Russell

Below Average - Mediocre

E. Manning, Palmer, Vick

TBD
Stafford, Bradford, Newton

Many of these QB were labelled as next NFL "superstars". Until you can prove yourself on NFL Gameday, the college hype is simply hype.

Before Peyton Manning, the #1 QB picks dating to '83 are
Bledsoe, George, Aikman, Testaverde, Elway

Suffice to say in past 28 years of all the #1 QB picked the only one's that really panned out are Elway, Aikman, Manning. Vast majority are average to busts.

So, while Andrew Luck does look like a great QB playing in Pac 10, the reality and pressures #1 selection of NFL as a QB will be a LOT different than playing at Stanford against mostly inferior competition in that conference. Regardless whether he is smarter than Ryan Fitzpatrick who went to Harvard, or has more physical talent than a Michael Vick, or can read defenses faster than a Peyton Manning, he will still have to prove it quickly he can translate his game to Sunday's.

Right now is is what he is - a great College prospect. Whether he can handle the pressures along with being surrounded by right people in the right organization are still question marks. He could turnout to be the next Peyton Manning or he could be the next David Carr, one never knows.

Even likes of Sam Bradford who looked good n year 1, come back to reality in year 2 after league starts to figure out their sterngths and weakness. Ofcourse it does not help Bradford he has no other talent around him

Anycase, good chance Miami is Luck's landing spot, especially given the tank job Dolphins are putting in full display.

Nope, those were the old days. Under the new rookie cap, Cam Newton signed for 4 years, $22 million. Which is the other reason Luck hype is so strong: under the new CBA, #1 picks are actually worth it.

Last edited:
Nope, those were the old days. Under the new rookie cap, Cam Newton signed for 4 years, $22 million. Which is the other reason Luck hype is so strong: under the new CBA, #1 picks are actually worth it.

True, but Newton's deal is actually 5yr 36 Mill (team option for 5th year @ $14Mill). Also, these are real #'s now. None of that phony $78Mill for Bradford of which only $50mill guaranteed. Regardless, Luck will have a hefty payday close to $40Mill, and since Manning just signed for $90Mill, unless the Colts will move to void that contract in Feb after SuperBowl, they'll be on the hook for large cap # tied into QB's.

Last edited:

No way does Polian pluck even 20M for a potential backup until 2015 or longer when he can stash away some nice extra picks and maybe still grab a QB in 2013 if they want one then,the Colts have some holes to fill,especially at RB and OL

Aaron Rodgers situation was about as rare as they come.....it's not everyday that a QB of his talent sits so long on the sidelines......there are few Favre/Rodgers or Young/Montana duos these days at QB 1&2.

Last edited:
Of course highly touted QB prospects sometimes fail. Every kind of player sometimes fails -- even "proven" veterans. (It wasn't so long ago that Carson Palmer was an elite NFL QB, right?) So there's no such thing as a sure thing...but IMO that's no reason to ignore the best QB prospect in years.

Andrew Luck is the total opposite of lunkheads like Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell. He's the classic "student of the game," the highly intelligent son of an NFL QB. He's in his third full season leading a pro-style offense in a major conference, where he puts up amazing stats and piles up wins. He has excellent poise, reads defenses and goes through his progressions well. He has sound mechanics, good touch, and throws an accurate, catchable ball. He has great pocket awareness, decent mobility and retains his accuracy on the run. He is a hard worker and a respected leader, on and off the field. Oh, and he's 6'4" 235.

IOW, if you don't get excited about that guy, who the heck do you get excited about?

I live in the Bay Area and frequently watch Stanford. Luck reminds me of watching a pro QB.....for the things that PatChick mentioned (and I bold-ed). You watch Luck and you come away feeling solid QB play and that he emulates an NFL QB. The belief that he will likely be a good QB in the NFL is largely a fair prediction (albeit, leave it to the media to take an arguably good possibility and go off the deep end with it). With that said, nothing is a guarantee no matter how good he looks in the college game. The college game is not the pro game.
To the OP, I think either you haven't watched Luck or you are not a Stanford fan (nothing wrong with being either or both of them).
To the poster who would like to see Luck fail, never forget help is just a phone call away.

Perfect....Colts might as well fill the rest of the roster with IU UDFA's and pencil themselves in as bottom dwellers in AFC South

Teams will not fork over too many picks for Luck - simply put the economics of today's NFL vs. price teams would have to pay to move up draft board for a guy like him #1. I suppose there's always a Vikings GM, or Mike Ditka or Al Davis lunatics roving around to pay a stupid price, but doubt it in this case

He is still "potential", and as seen since 1998 you have following #1 QB's drafted, with mostly below average return...

complete busts
Couch, Carr, Smith, Russell

Below Average - Mediocre

E. Manning, Palmer, Vick

TBD
Stafford, Bradford, Newton

Many of these QB were labelled as next NFL "superstars". Until you can prove yourself on NFL Gameday, the college hype is simply hype.

Before Peyton Manning, the #1 QB picks dating to '83 are
Bledsoe, George, Aikman, Testaverde, Elway

Suffice to say in past 28 years of all the #1 QB picked the only one's that really panned out are Elway, Aikman, Manning. Vast majority are average to busts.

So, while Andrew Luck does look like a great QB playing in Pac 10, the reality and pressures #1 selection of NFL as a QB will be a LOT different than playing at Stanford against mostly inferior competition in that conference. Regardless whether he is smarter than Ryan Fitzpatrick who went to Harvard, or has more physical talent than a Michael Vick, or can read defenses faster than a Peyton Manning, he will still have to prove it quickly he can translate his game to Sunday's.

Right now is is what he is - a great College prospect. Whether he can handle the pressures along with being surrounded by right people in the right organization are still question marks. He could turnout to be the next Peyton Manning or he could be the next David Carr, one never knows.

Even likes of Sam Bradford who looked good n year 1, come back to reality in year 2 after league starts to figure out their sterngths and weakness. Ofcourse it does not help Bradford he has no other talent around him

Anycase, good chance Miami is Luck's landing spot, especially given the tank job Dolphins are putting in full display.

One point worth mentioning is that, I remember the Couch, Carr, Smith, and Russell drafts. Was anyone talking about those guys as potential all-time greats? In all of those years, it seemed even at the time that they jut happened to be the most highly regarded QBs in their respective classes, and that was that. I kinda put Stafford in the same boat, FWIW, though he's panned out a lot better than any of those guys did.

Thinking back to guys who came out with the "this guy is the next great QB" label... there aren't that many of them. Peyton and Eli both had it, Palmer and Bradford did too. Matt Ryan kinda did, to a lesser extent.

Basically, I don't see the point in using guys like JaMarcus Russell as an example of why you should beware of Luck. They're completely different players, and all #1 picks aren't the same. Some are a whole lot more highly regarded than others.

Mirer was runner up for ROTY.

And in the midst of this whole "Suck for Luck" campaign, he decides, well to heck with that, I'm staying another year in Stanford! Haha, that would be classic.

Albert Breer is reporting that his sources says that Luck's father, Oliver, might pull an Archie Manning and force a trade if he doesn't like the team picking Andrew. Oliver has NFL connections (played for the Oilers and coached in NFL Europe). He won't want his son going to a disfunctional organization.

Some fear Luck could make a power play | ProFootballTalk

If true, the Dolphins might want to rethink sucking for Luck. The way that Ross treated Sporano last offseason and it generally and the instability in the front office might scare off the Lucks. He also may not want to go to Indy if he feels he will be holding a clipboard for Peyton for two to three years.

If you've watched Luck play, you'll know why he's rated the best QB prospect since Forehead Boy.

He makes reads that half the QB's in the frigging NFL can't.

As for Barkley or Landry Jones being better - yeah, and maybe I'll wake up next to Megan Fox tomorrow too.

Why is it that EVERY Football analyst and mediot is ALREADY crowning this kid the next Peyton....Elway.....Montana.....or Brady??? I mean the kid hasn't even played ONE down in the accelerated game that is the NFL and already they are all salivating over who will get the "next great one" in next year's draft! I remember a certain #1 pick that came out the same year as Drew Bledsoe....and he was going to be the next Marino.....going to challenge all the records....and win countless SB's......you might remember his name.....Ryan Leaf????
The sports media, ESPN mentality is they love to build a guy up just so they can tear him down later. Andrew Luck is in "build up" mode.

If you've watched Luck play, you'll know why he's rated the best QB prospect since Forehead Boy.

He makes reads that half the QB's in the frigging NFL can't.

In my mind if there is one area he has improved in over last year, it is in speeding up his reads.

He's got his first true test this week against Washington. Considering how few weapons he has to work with on that team, I am shocked they are undefeated thus far.

Last edited:
Albert Breer is reporting that his sources says that Luck's father, Oliver, might pull an Archie Manning and force a trade if he doesn't like the team picking Andrew. Oliver has NFL connections (played for the Oilers and coached in NFL Europe). He won't want his son going to a disfunctional organization.

Some fear Luck could make a power play | ProFootballTalk

If true, the Dolphins might want to rethink sucking for Luck. The way that Ross treated Sporano last offseason and it generally and the instability in the front office might scare off the Lucks. He also may not want to go to Indy if he feels he will be holding a clipboard for Peyton for two to three years.

The Luck pick is valuable regardless of whether he wants to play there.
The Luck Winner can trade him/it for tons of picks.
Remember all the excitement of the Pats having the very first very valuable pick, the first in the 2nd round of the draft? Oh wait...

Of course highly touted QB prospects sometimes fail. Every kind of player sometimes fails -- even "proven" veterans. (It wasn't so long ago that Carson Palmer was an elite NFL QB, right?) So there's no such thing as a sure thing...but IMO that's no reason to ignore the best QB prospect in years.

Andrew Luck is the total opposite of lunkheads like Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell. He's the classic "student of the game," the highly intelligent son of an NFL QB. He's in his third full season leading a pro-style offense in a major conference, where he puts up amazing stats and piles up wins. He has excellent poise, reads defenses and goes through his progressions well. He has sound mechanics, good touch, and throws an accurate, catchable ball. He has great pocket awareness, decent mobility and retains his accuracy on the run. He is a hard worker and a respected leader, on and off the field. Oh, and he's 6'4" 235.

IOW, if you don't get excited about that guy, who the heck do you get excited about?

Mallet, who also is a son of a Coach, stands 6-6 250, and has sound mechanics, good touch, and is a hard worker, who more than satisfied Bill Belichick with his football knowledge and as "a student of the game". Mallett has the strongest arm in football, the one thing that all QBs need to do, which is Pass the ball. Mallett started at Michigan, a true football power and transfered when LLoyd Carr retired, and the new Coach was a proponent of the Single Wing, aka Wildcat. He then played in the SEC, the best collegiate football, in a pro scheme.

Mallett is not a runner though. Runners haven't won too many Superbowls, or exactly ANY, though. But then neither Brady nor Montana, nor Marino, nor Unitas nor Namath were runners either, [and neither was Elway when he won his SBs], and it did not appear to be a detriment to their careers.

With him being a red shirt junior, if he doesn't like the teams high up in the draft (i.e. Miami giving up on the season just to get him) he could always stay in college another year....that would be quite funny if Miami went 0-16 to get Luck, then he didn't declare for the draft :p

With him being a red shirt junior, if he doesn't like the teams high up in the draft (i.e. Miami giving up on the season just to get him) he could always stay in college another year....that would be quite funny if Miami went 0-16 to get Luck, then he didn't declare for the draft :p

I look forward to him saying "I won't play for anyone but the Patriots". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back