PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Dan Morgan, Pats in the running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have to make a play for morgan. LBs coming out of the draft are very average at best.

While I've been thinking for the past year that Morgan would be a good fit here, he certainly is a big injury risk. It would have to be a very friendly contract. If available, I'd also like Keith Brooking. I think he'd be a good fit here.

So we have a contingency of posters here who are completely opposed to Morgan coming here because of his past injuries, who think he's toast and that he's nothing but a shell of his former self. Where's the risk in signing him to a cheap veteran contract?

If he's willing to accept a veteran contract like the one Seau signed last year, what's the harm? I say give it a go and if he can play, great. If he can't, oh well, it will be but pennies on the salary cap.

The problem is, there is no way to count on his being able to play for any length of time, even as a fill in. That many concussions is scary, new mouthpiece or not. The guy had a special helmet for heaven's sake. Were it just the other injuries he had (I think he had a shoulder along with the Achilles) I would say maybe.
I could see Denver taking a flyer on him though. That's a Shanahan type move right there.

So we have a contingency of posters here who are completely opposed to Morgan coming here because of his past injuries, who think he's toast and that he's nothing but a shell of his former self. Where's the risk in signing him to a cheap veteran contract?

If he's willing to accept a veteran contract like the one Seau signed last year, what's the harm? I say give it a go and if he can play, great. If he can't, oh well, it will be but pennies on the salary cap.

What if he makes it through the preseason and training camp OK (most likely part-time). Then you're cutting another guy who would have otherwise made the roster. That player a good chance of catching on somewhere else. Then, if Morgan gets injured again (decent chance of that considering his history), then you're left looking for someone to fill that hole.

You just can't rely on him to stay on your roster and stay healthy.

What if he makes it through the preseason and training camp OK (most likely part-time). Then you're cutting another guy who would have otherwise made the roster. That player a good chance of catching on somewhere else. Then, if Morgan gets injured again (decent chance of that considering his history), then you're left looking for someone to fill that hole.

You just can't rely on him to stay on your roster and stay healthy.

Poor TJ Slaughter.

Re: Dan Morgan, Pats in the running?

Dan Morgan, please stay retired, for your family's sake, unless you need to feed your family of course.....

I'm with you. The guy is a monster in the middle, but he's been beaten and battered in the brain. I can understand a man's desire to compete, but he's made millions, & the risk of being a vegetable would push me to call it a career.

I'm with you. The guy is a monster in the middle, but he's been beaten and battered in the brain. I can understand a man's desire to compete, but he's made millions, & the risk of being a vegetable would push me to call it a career.

This situation reminds of the feeling I had everytime I saw Trent Green take a snap this year....why? Why do that to yourself when you know you've had one too many serious knocks to the head. Just doesn't seem look good judgement to keep on playing.

His career might be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back