PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: Dan Morgan, Pats in the running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand some of his throws were off, but I feel one of the major reasons for that was because he wasn't able to get into a rhythm, getting knocked down so much. And yet, he still had us in position to win the game when it mattered most...

I'm not blaming Brady for the loss, and I understand that it's tough for a QB to have a great game when the pressure is coming up the middle. I pin most of the 'blame' on the O.L., particularly Mankins, the offensive game plan, a fluke Manning pass, a missed interception and a stupid blitz call, in no particular order. I just don't think Brady was 'Brady' in either the AFCCG or the SB.

Not to be a jerk or anything but this thread is not about the Super Bowl, Tom Brady or throwing the ball for that matter.

Dan Morgan.

I'm not blaming Brady for the loss, and I understand that it's tough for a QB to have a great game when the pressure is coming up the middle. I pin most of the 'blame' on the O.L., particularly Mankins, the offensive game plan, a fluke Manning pass, a missed interception and a stupid blitz call, in no particular order. I just don't think Brady was 'Brady' in either the AFCCG or the SB.

I agree...

Not to be a jerk or anything but this thread is not about the Super Bowl, Tom Brady or throwing the ball for that matter.

Dan Morgan.

I still think it would be a good deal if he were to sign at a low cost and try it out, but do you guys think, if he does decide to play next season, that the pats would be a front runner to get him?

Last edited:
I still think it would be a good deal if he were to sign at a low cost and try it out, but do you guys think, if he does decide to play next season, that the pats would be a front runner to get him?

Why not? Does he have some sort of agenda against NE for winning the Super Bowl in 2003/2004? I should surely hope not.

Great player when healthy, when being the key word. Can be THE guy if needed to be but probably needs rest on his body.

If some team comes out and says hey we want you for X amount of years and we'll give you 3-4 million a year. I would hope Dan takes it. But i think he takes a one or maybe even 2 year deal from a team that wants to contend.

Why not us is my question?

Why not? Does he have some sort of agenda against NE for winning the Super Bowl in 2003/2004? I should surely hope not.

Great player when healthy, when being the key word. Can be THE guy if needed to be but probably needs rest on his body.

If some team comes out and says hey we want you for X amount of years and we'll give you 3-4 million a year. I would hope Dan takes it. But i think he takes a one or maybe even 2 year deal from a team that wants to contend.

True. I think that it might turn out to be the best fit for both the player and team if he's healthy, and BB does have a knack for bringing in players everyone thinks are out of their prime only to have them perform really well...he doesnt have to be as dominant as he was but if he's still got some solid play in him it would work out very well for our team. Of course his health is the most important factor in this equation.

Last edited:
maybe they could just load him up w/incentives and make the contract easy to get out of if it comes to that.
something like the moss or stallworth deals.
I don't know how much they can really pay him, but I'd think you could toss the guy a couple mil in incentives over the minimum salary.

At vet's min a player who has a great motor and speed and is a very aggressive, physical tackler would be a great move. We just signed Slaughter for a similar deal the other day and he isn't even 25% the player Morgan is. Morgan has great range and makes plays all over the field. He separates from blocks quickly and is a playmaker when on the field. He is also a good blitzer. The negatives are the constant injuries but if you sign him to a no-risk vet min deal there is no monetaty risk on the cap. Rodney was hurt when we signed him in 2003 as was Seau, I do admit that those players had a much better overall track record but Seau was an aging LB who missed the entire previous season with Miami before we signed him. Morgan is only 29 and at the right price I see nothing wrong with bringing this player in. I seriously doubt any other team will give him any sort of guaranteed $$ w/his injury history.

maybe they could just load him up w/incentives and make the contract easy to get out of if it comes to that.
something like the moss or stallworth deals.
I don't know how much they can really pay him, but I'd think you could toss the guy a couple mil in incentives over the minimum salary.

If he's cleared to play (which I doubt, the Panthers wouldn't have tossed him to the curb if his brains weren't scrambled eggs and his achilles wasn't a rubber band as he is one of the better MLBs in football when he's healthy), he'd go for more than the minimum with incentives. Maybe he'd want to come to New England for the chance at the ring (believe it or not, the Patriots will be heavy favorites next year), but maybe he'll just want to get paid. It's up to him.

Ok, some possible reasons not to go after him (I haven't really pondered it, I'm just tossing out some easy reasons):

1.) Injury prone in general, having never played more than 13 games in a season

2.) Too many concussions (after the T.J. affair, this will likely be a big issue in N.E.)

3.) Played in a 4-3, not a 3-4

4.) Coming off an achilles injury (don't always heal anywhere near 100%)

yeah, well, if his brains are scrambled eggs maybe he'll think we're offering him a billion instead of a million when he looks at the deal.
advantage: pats

Morgan is a big reason Carolina's D was so nasty not so long ago. Hes not very old i would bring him in but only for cheep, dont rely on the guy and dont let him effect your draft plans, just bring him in and see what he can do. Sign him to a deal like Moss, one year, prove what you can do.

Dan Morgan.

You need to get over it. Dan Morgan is physically a wreck. He's not going to sign with anyone.

Ok, some possible reasons not to go after him (I haven't really pondered it, I'm just tossing out some easy reasons):

1.) Injury prone in general, having never played more than 13 games in a season

2.) Too many concussions (after the T.J. affair, this will likely be a big issue in N.E.)

3.) Played in a 4-3, not a 3-4

4.) Coming off an achilles injury (don't always heal anywhere near 100%)

1) Understandable, but that was as a full time starter.

2) Has had half as many as TJ did. Patriots also have the mouth piece for player that reduces the risk of concussions. Patriots havent had one player have a concussion in recent memory. Coincidence or effectiveness of the product?

3) Morgan can still play inside and at 6'2'' 245 he fits the bill as a "Patriot LB". His best years were when he had that great line in front of him. He would have that here in NE.

4) True, just taking his word that hes near 100%. Not always the case.

You need to get over it. Dan Morgan is physically a wreck. He's not going to sign with anyone.

I disagree. Though Dan Morgan's list of injuires is not pretty i think someone will still sign him. If not us then someone will. Hes still a very high upside player.

um if he was physically a wreck right now..why would he go out and say its fortunate his time in Carolina is up but he fully intends on playing..maybe a change can put an end to the bad luck

hes ready to play..the concussion problems were more than a year ago. his recent injury was achilles which hes gotten better from. hes ready to play football..

those saying hes not signing anywhere are foolish. Until he gets hurt..he'll be playing good football until he hits sideline. Ernie Sims had a history with concussions in college..got picked top 10 and is playing lights out. Theres ways of preventing the injuries and i think he got his helmet/mouthpiece adjusted since the last one. Deion Branch with an injury problem went to Seattle for their first round pick. Tyrone Poole after injury problems went to few teams. we can go on. Its not like he was sidelined with a concussion last year..he had it..came back from it..and played.

Last edited:
um if he was physically a wreck right now..why would he go out and say its fortunate his time in Carolina is up but he fully intends on playing..maybe a change can put an end to the bad luck

hes ready to play..the concussion problems were more than a year ago. his recent injury was achilles which hes gotten better from. hes ready to play football..

those saying hes not signing anywhere are foolish. Until he gets hurt..he'll be playing good football until he hits sideline. Ernie Sims had a history with concussions in college..got picked top 10 and is playing lights out. Theres ways of preventing the injuries and i think he got his helmet/mouthpiece adjusted since the last one. Deion Branch with an injury problem went to Seattle for their first round pick. Tyrone Poole after injury problems went to few teams. we can go on. Its not like he was sidelined with a concussion last year..he had it..came back from it..and played.

Right, like I'm sure he'll go around telling teams he has major medical problems.

Deion Branch with an injury problem went to Seattle for their first round pick.

Huh? Branch had that nagging hamstring problem, but it never really prevented him from playing. The only major injury he suffered was that freak one that kept him out a good chunk of 2004. Otherwise he was fine.

Tyrone Poole after injury problems went to few teams. we can go on.

Tyrone Poole has gone to one team, the Raiders, and been nothing more than mediocre. Poole had one good season - 2003.

Please do go on.

Its not like he was sidelined with a concussion last year..he had it..came back from it..and played.

Just like he did after the first concussion. And the second. And the third. And the fourth. And the fifth. And the sixth. After that, he was pretty damn close to retiring. Probably should have:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/the_bonus/10/12/morgan.concussions/index.html

The only reason he did not have a concussion last year is that he barely played. After all the negative press the Pats took for TJ, I'd be surprised if they brought him in even for the veteran minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back