PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One play remaining. All zeroes on the clock. Ball on the one. Your play call?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st and 10 at CAR 39 L.Blount right guard to CAR 34 for 5 yards (W.Horton).

2nd and 5 at CAR 34 L.Blount up the middle to CAR 33 for 1 yard (S.Lotulelei).

3rd and 4 at CAR 33 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to S.Vereen to CAR 27 for 6 yards (D.Florence).

1st and 10 at CAR 27 L.Blount right guard to CAR 27 for no gain (S.Lotulelei).

2nd and 10 at CAR 27 T.Brady pass short right to R.Gronkowski to CAR 17 for 10 yards (R.Lester; T.Davis).

1st and 10 at CAR 17 L.Blount right guard to CAR 14 for 3 yards (L.Kuechly; G.Hardy).

2nd and 7 at CAR 14 L.Blount up the middle to CAR 8 for 6 yards (M.Addison; T.Davis).

3rd and 1 at CAR 8 T.Brady pass incomplete short left to A.Dobson.

4th and 1 at CAR 8 S.Gostkowski 26 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-D.Aiken, Holder-R.Allen. NE 20-17

5 rushes, 15 yards, 3 ypc.

not a great average, but not bad odds for picking up 1 yard, IMO

New England Patriots vs. Carolina Panthers - Play By Play - November 18, 2013 - ESPN

That is not running it down any team's throat, which is what the person was claiming. People are 'coloring' their memory of what the running game was doing on that drive.

That is not running it down any team's throat, which is what the person was claiming. People are 'coloring' their memory of what the running game was doing on that drive.

I am one of those whose memory was "colored" as you say, although I also feel that they were running the ball effectively enough on the drive previous to that to pick up one yard either way. The 2 drives combined happened fairly quickly, as it was one of only two times throughout the game where we actually forced CAR to punt. The momentum and the game was there for the taking, unfortunately they just could not execute.

It is just frustrating that there have been times where we needed one measly yard yet could not pick it up for whatever reason, and I think that leads to the questioning of certain playcalls. As fans some of it is probably natural. What is incorrect is making it out to be a bigger issue than it needs to be by calling out Josh McDaniels. Personally, I would have liked to see something different there, whether it have been a run or a different pass--but it is not fair to make too big of a deal about it. It didn't work, so it's time to try and move on.

Depends on how defense sets up.

If the line is set up to stop the sneak, then handoff to Vereen to run outside toward pilon on whatever side of the field has more space. Receivers heavier on the other side. Gronk on the side Vereen is running to, chipping anybody who might have a play and bringing his defender toward the other side.

Foot race between Vereen and whoever is left on the defense.

Hmm quite a few options.

Ridley would be the best option if we were going to carry it. But if Carolina is totally ready and expecting that I would not have a problem going play action. I'm not sure I could stomach going into the shot gun for an obvious pass.

I personally think it would have been a Brady sneak. It has worked too many times in short yardage not to use it. It works even when defenses fully expect it.

...It is just frustrating that there have been times where we needed one measly yard yet could not pick it up for whatever reason, and I think that leads to the questioning of certain playcalls. As fans some of it is probably natural. What is incorrect is making it out to be a bigger issue than it needs to be by calling out Josh McDaniels...

This has been my only point. I don't have an issue with people who'd have preferred a different play be called there, abecause there was room for reasonable people to disagree. I have an issue with people who go so far as to claim that the play that was called was a 'bad' play, particularly if they say that just because it wasn't a run.

Whether we judge based just upon that one drive, or based upon full game statistics, a pass was actually the higher percentage play there.

Whether we judge based just upon that one drive, or based upon full game statistics, a pass was actually the higher percentage play there.

What's you basis for saying that targeting A. Dobson, in particular, is a higher percentage play for gaining 1 yard than many of the alternatives (Blount run, Brady sneak, Gronk pass, Vereen run)?

His target percentage is not high.

What's you basis for saying that targeting A. Dobson, in particular, is a higher percentage play for gaining 1 yard than many of the alternatives (Blount run, Brady sneak, Gronk pass, Vereen run)?

His target percentage is not high.

I said that (generically) "a" pass was the higher percentage. I didn't comment on the throw specifically to Dobson. However, if you want to look at it that way, Dobson ended up with 4 receptions on 7 targets, and was 3 out of 4 prior to that pass attempt (all penalties discounted).

I'd prob give it to Blount. I like the idea though of spreading them out and going Brady sneak. Or Deus' idea of going Brady sneak if they don't line up well to protect against it.

I'd prob give it to Blount. I like the idea though of spreading them out and going Brady sneak. Or Deus' idea of going Brady sneak if they don't line up well to protect against it.

You'd give it to Blount? Not saying he is bad by any means but Ridley is easily the better RB in a goal line situation.

You'd give it to Blount? Not saying he is bad by any means but Ridley is easily the better RB in a goal line situation.

Yeah, personally I'm not so sure that we'd want to give it to Blount. I'd probably prefer either the sneak or the handoff to Ridley, Vereen, or even Bolden over Blount.

Blount is fine as a bruising downhill runner, but he may be too big to be able to shift and squirt through a hole that isn't really there.

Depends on how defense sets up.

If the line is set up to stop the sneak, then handoff to Vereen to run outside toward pilon on whatever side of the field has more space. Receivers heavier on the other side. Gronk on the side Vereen is running to, chipping anybody who might have a play and bringing his defender toward the other side.

Foot race between Vereen and whoever is left on the defense.

Bingo. Vereen should've been given the ball, either via pitch-out, stretch hand-off,
quick-hitter or even direct snap. Throwing the ball was plainly & simply ******ed.
Thanks for nothing, again, Skippy.

Five wideouts, QB sneak.

If I could call the play, I'd call a pass play to Ben Coates in the back of the end zone.

Then, I'd call a Vinatieri run for the two point conversion (assuming the opponents utilize the highly questionable invisible defense tactic).

oh wait

Go deep.

Power formation left and Ridley right behind Mankins. No screwing around just win the battles and drive it down their throats.

Direct snap to Vereen :rocker:

easy, QB sneak on the left side, TD

Sign Ben Jarvis and give him the ball.

Direct snap to Faulk of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back