PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One of the most compelling arguments you'll see for why Jimmy G is worth a high 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it matters to a franchise, and it's one of the reasons (along with Jimmy's Illinois roots) that I keep circling back to Chicago. He'd make a heck of an image change from scowlin' Jay Cutler.

jay-cutler-dont-care.jpg

I liken it to tommy boy selling brake pads.

This draft pick has 4 years of guaranteed salary. A guarantee makes a man feel safe and warm on the inside.

BB: Well, that's great. If you want to draft that guy, but why do you think they need that guarantee?

Go on...

BB: Cause you know you are just drafting a guaranteed piece of ****. If you are looking for a quality investment at quarterback, come buy a qb from us, at the Patriots. For the sake of your franchise, and your job, we have a great quality Jimmy for you, that doesn't need a guarantee. If not, I can just take a dump for you right now, and save you the draft pick. I have some extra time.
234580193ff1aa029ee84519e80de354.jpg

People can make all the justifications and rationalizations they want. If I'm a GM there is no way I can talk myself into giving up anything in the top 15 for a guy with one and half games of experience.

I still say that if Bill truly believes Jimmy can play at a high level for this team for 10-15 years Brady will be an ex Patriot after next season. If not, he will go to the highest bidder.

People can make all the justifications and rationalizations they want. If I'm a GM there is no way I can talk myself into giving up anything in the top 15 for a guy with one and half games of experience.

I still say that if Bill truly believes Jimmy can play at a high level for this team for 10-15 years Brady will be an ex Patriot after next season. If not, he will go to the highest bidder.

You do realize that every single draft pick, from the top fifteen to Mr. Irrelevant, is ultimately "given up" for a player with zero games experience in the NFL, right?

In fact, GMs routinely give up numerous draft picks just to move up in the 1st round to ensure they get a guy who comes into the league with zero games of NFL experience.

Brady is different and a unique case. I don't think Kraft would allow Bill to trade Brady, unless Brady is 44 and showing obvious signs of declining. Or if he suffers a major career threatening injury.

I think Kraft leaves the football ops to the guys he pays to make the decisions. I just think Brady is different.

Another factor working in the Pats' favor is that in trading for Garoppolo, the team is sending the fans the message that they are ready to win now, which is good for building enthusiasm and getting butts in seats right away, as opposed to the caveat of delayed gratification signalled by drafting a QB early in the 1st round.

A similar factor is in play with regards to coaches and GMs with legitimate concerns that if they use their 1st round pick to draft a quarterback, it's the guys who take their jobs that will benefit if he develops into a quality starter.

Of course, there's also an added risk involved for teams/GMs/coaches -- if you trade for Garoppolo, you need to be confident that you're putting him in a situation where he can deliver, to a certain extent, on the promise he's shown thus far. That could be daunting, considering the quality of the organization he's coming from.

If you trade for him, and he ends up playing just like the bum you dumped for him, you know that it's your organization that's going to be judged as lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back