PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One of the most compelling arguments you'll see for why Jimmy G is worth a high 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Jason Lisk of The Big Lead says there's significant reason to believe that trading for a young quarterback with a high ceiling (and some experience starting in the NFL) might actually be a better investment than drafting a QB even with a Top 5 pick!

(Jimmy Garoppolo-Type Acquisitions Have Outperformed First Round Quarterbacks)

Lisk looked back over 30 years of transactions to find quarterbacks of Garoppolo’s age (25-28 years old) that were acquired with less than one season of starting experience to see how they succeeded over the next five years, and compared them to the first five years of 1st round quarterbacks.

screen-shot-2017-01-03-at-2-11-51-pm.png

It’s clear that can’t-miss quarterbacks selected 1st overall- like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck- are better investments than acquiring a quarterback; 1st overall quarterbacks start 8+ years in the NFL 69% of the time and achieve "elite" status 10% of the time.

But it seems like trading for a player like Garoppolo yields better results than any other draft pick. Quarterbacks like Garoppolo- which includes the likes of Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunnell, and Matt Schaub- start at least 8 games 71% of the time, playing above average 44% of the time, and obtain "elite" status 10% of the time. Furthermore, these kinda of quarterbacks end up starting for careers that last 8 or more years 20% of the time.

Meanwhile, those drafted 2nd to 5th overall are above average only 23% of the time. Furthermore, QBs that are drafted 6th to 17th only start 8+ games 49% of the time, are above average just 19% of the time, and elite only 4% of the time. So in other words, Garoppolo-types are twice more likely to be successful long-term, than quarterbacks selected 18th to 32nd overall.

Rich Hill of patspulpit.com sums it up best: "[W]hen the Patriots start the price discussion for Garoppolo, they should point at the weak class of quarterbacks entering the draft, the laughable success rate of 1st round quarterbacks taken outside of the top 3, and whether or not Garoppolo is a more sure-fire bet than any other draft prospect. The Patriots could also highlight that Garoppolo showed more potential in 6 quarters of football than most of the other quarterbacks that were acquired in Lisk’s study."

I liken it to tommy boy selling brake pads.

This draft pick has 4 years of guaranteed salary. A guarantee makes a man feel safe and warm on the inside.

BB: Well, that's great. If you want to draft that guy, but why do you think they need that guarantee?

Go on...

BB: Cause you know you are just drafting a guaranteed piece of ****. If you are looking for a quality investment at quarterback, come buy a qb from us, at the Patriots. For the sake of your franchise, and your job, we have a great quality Jimmy for you, that doesn't need a guarantee. If not, I can just take a dump for you right now, and save you the draft pick. I have some extra time.

I think the Market is lining up just right for the Pats and puts them in the position of leverage. Still a tough choice though.

But considering a reportedly weak QB draft, JG's better than decent audition, a year left on his rookie contract and teams needing a starting QB, I can see the Pats getting 1500 + drafting points for him.

We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
What you get with Jimmy is a very high floor. He worked hard enough and showed enough promise that Bill Belichick was willing to hand him the keys rather than looking for an experienced backup when his starter was grounded. IOW, he can handle NFL coaching and playbooks and he's not going to be a total flameout.

And better yet, he's ready.

He has a strong arm. He seems accurate. He can make all the throws. He has athleticism and can run and scramble and will only get better at it.

I honestly want to keep Jimmy G. But we have the GOAT and he is playing into his 40's... I just want to see Max kellerman.. if he is even still on the radar.. eat **** and lots of crow after Brady puts up MVP numbers next season at age 40.

Aren't the Browns and their front office turning to advanced analytics to run their team now?

Maybe we should spam them this.

Garoppolo is good. I just hope that we do not get fleeced.

Either these cough meds are ripping or that source is suggesting that 1 and 1/2 qbs of the Garoppolo type become elite?

Well, one became elite and BSPN is still having a panel discussion about the other guy; so, one and "a half".

It's a small sample size no matter how you slice it. He play good against Arizona( in a game we could have lost if not for a missed field-goal in the final seconds) and shows signs of greatness and one half against Miami. If someone wants to throw all kinds of draft except the patriots "awesome" but I think it's ridiculous

Last edited:
I liken it to tommy boy selling brake pads.

This draft pick has 4 years of guaranteed salary. A guarantee makes a man feel safe and warm on the inside.

BB: Well, that's great. If you want to draft that guy, but why do you think they need that guarantee?

Go on...

BB: Cause you know you are just drafting a guaranteed piece of ****. If you are looking for a quality investment at quarterback, come buy a qb from us, at the Patriots. For the sake of your franchise, and your job, we have a great quality Jimmy for you, that doesn't need a guarantee. If not, I can just take a dump for you right now, and save you the draft pick. I have some extra time.

If I want to get a good look at a QB I can stick my head up his ass but I'd rather take the scout's word for it.

:p

What you get with Jimmy is a very high floor. He worked hard enough and showed enough promise that Bill Belichick was willing to hand him the keys rather than looking for an experienced backup when his starter was grounded. IOW, he can handle NFL coaching and playbooks and he's not going to be a total flameout.

And better yet, he's ready.

not only that, but he is a very marketable dude and anywhere he becomes a starter, he will have a huge following of you lady types

not only that, but he is a very marketable dude and anywhere he becomes a starter, he will have a huge following of you lady types

That's the truth, it never hurts for the face of your franchise to have a million-dollar smile.

(Of course, this particular lady type is also a draftnik and prepared to sacrifice a year of that million-dollar smile for Chicago's 1st + 2018 3rd.)

That's the truth, it never hurts for the face of your franchise to have a million-dollar smile.

(Of course, this particular lady type is also a draftnik and prepared to sacrifice a year of that million-dollar smile for Chicago's 1st + 2018 3rd.)

make it a 2017 3rd and I'd actually consider it!

Jimmy da 'G' playin' fer da bears would have them all jizzin and wizzin

I don't think it is an insignificant part of the equation.

The QB is the face of a franchise and it doesn't hurt the Pats that Brady has those leading man looks along with being well-spoken. Probably just another reason for the haters to hate him, Brady is too perfect. I remember a quote from Christian Faria when he played for the Pats which perfectly described it "women want to be with him and men want to BE him".

I remember thinking about that when the Pats drafted Ryan Mallet. I was hoping he would be good, but also wondered how people would react to a QB, whose personna was such a polar opposite of Brady.

I don't think it is an insignificant part of the equation.

The QB is the face of a franchise and it doesn't hurt the Pats that Brady has those leading man looks along with being well-spoken.

I do think it matters to a franchise, and it's one of the reasons (along with Jimmy's Illinois roots) that I keep circling back to Chicago. He'd make a heck of an image change from scowlin' Jay Cutler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back