PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Olb, de, te, wr, cb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two good posts Brit! There are several WR variations the Pats can explore. I can't imagine BB disappointing.

And about the Wheatley comments. I've raved about his potential in numerous posts. Unfortunately, he needs to get on the field for everyone to see what I KNOW -- that he has terrific coverage skills. If he were healthy since he was drafted, I seriously doubt Wilhite would be ahead of him on the depth chart. Currently, he's an enigma. His health status is unknown, and there's no clue from Belichick regarding his development. :(

This is most likely his last chance to earn a roster spot, so he's a wait-and-see...

This draft is pretty weak at guard and center. It is deep at tackle though. I think we get a rotational guy later on.

Seems to me also. Lotta good tackles, not much depth in the Center/Guard slots. That bodes well for us methinks. BB can dig out a gem later on in the draft for competition at guard, and or center.

OLB/DE/WR/TE seem like the first 4 picks to me........ Everything else, like RB,DB,etc seems less vital but upgrading would be nice................

I think I'd consider an addition to the offensive line to be more of a need than cornerback. The line's performance drops off quite a bit when Neal is out of the lineup or is playing hurt, which has become too frequent the last couple of years; on top of that he is close to retirement. Koppen occasionally gets manhandled by bigger, stronger defenders. Light's not going to be around forever either.

It's unfortunate that the Pats have bigger needs at OLB, DE, WR and TE. If the Pats take an offensive lineman in the first two rounds I would be a little surprised but not upset at all. Otherwise maybe they can pick up someone like Ted Larsen later on.

I've been picking Carrington in most of my mocks, but I'm not certain we will select a 3-4 lineman at all in the first 5 rounds of this draft. I would not be surprised to see a situation where we go into the season with Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Pryor, Brace and Richard.

OLB and WR/TE/RB seem like the key additions to me on Day1-2.

This draft is pretty weak at guard and center. It is deep at tackle though.
Which is why pick 22 should be Pouncey then take a tackle in the 2-4 round like Jared Veldheer or Rodger Saffold.

For me the only positions that are legitimate, "I don't know how they can go on the field with those guys" spots are WR and OLB. I think if necessary we could get away with drafting a TE, OL, DL, or whatever position you are considering later. I think we go BPA or trade down with the first couple of picks. I also think that just because OLB and WR are our biggest needs we don't need to pick one or the other in the first couple of picks. Fortunately, this appears (key word appears) to be a deep draft at both spots. On top of that I don't think we need an absolute game breaker at WR I'm thinking more along the lines of Gaffney or Givens, solid move the chains outside the hash kinda guys. Our gamebreaker will come next year with the Raiders pick (take your choice of Green, Jones, Floyd, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
I guess you gave Duane 'fly by me for a TD' Starks props too?
I don't know, would you rather have a CB that actually can stay on the field, or a guy that just wastes a roster spot? And by the way, it's not his fault the Pats were dumb enough to trade for him.

I think we need a CB who's better than Wheatley and can compete with Springs and Wilhite (who were about equal last year). Based on what I've seen of the prospects, I think a guy like that may have to come from the 2nd round. I feel like there's a fairly significant dropoff (to perhaps Wheatley level) immediately after that. Could be a sleeper though, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it. This might be priority #1-B for me.

Ton of WR prospects throughout this draft who could play split end opposite Moss better than Gaffney did (and waayy better than Aiken or Stanback). No reason for desperation there. Just get at least two, though.

Not sure BB is even looking to "replace" Watson, at least not necessarily in terms of seeking an "elite" receiving TE. So, a mid to late round pick (or two) will probably suffice there.

OLB and DE, though, absolutely #1-A priorities.

RB to upgrade at least one (if not two) spots on our five-man RBBC would be priority #1-C for me. Doesn't have to be an elite, complete, every-down back, just somebody who's younger (and potentially a bit better) than who we have now. Hardesty, Tate, Gerhart, Dorin ****erson, Lonyae Miller, Andre Dixon would all be suitable candidates available in the mid-late rounds.

With respect to you, Dorin ****erson is a TE, you must've made a mistake and mixed him in with RB's.

I think you may have Wheatley and Wilhite confused. Wilhite was actually on the field for more snaps than Butler (580 to 525). He made some serious mis-judgments that cost us, but at least looked like he knew what he was doing a lot of the time.

Wheatley, OTOH, made the field for all of 21 snaps and never looked like he had a clue where he was supposed to be.

I'm guessing that Kontra is well aware of the differences between Wilhite and Wheatley.;)

It was 2nd rder Wheatley who some of us thought had good potential, and was starting to look good last year until his injury. He became buried on the depth chart last yr for reasons unknown (injury speculation), but it likely included the drafting of Butler, and the signings of Bodden and Springs. It has been believed that he may have still been a bit banged up, and Wilhite passed him up in TC. As seneschal2 stated, his health status is still unknown, and BB has not spoken too much in regards to his situation, he agrees that he's still an 'enigma.' I doubt that BB gives up too quickly on yet another 2nd rder before properly giving him opportunities.

Wilhite, OTOH, hasn't exactly shown us great reasons for optimism. The fact that he got more reps than rookie Butler doesn't mean much to me personally, as he may have been thrown into the fire due to lack of other viable options. You, however are not the only poster I've seen stick up for him, and I'll agree that it may be too early for us to properly evaluate him. I certainly hope that we have decent competition for him this yr, and that if he does play (at nickle or dime) he is on a short leash. Many of us are not as impressed as you were with his skills, and I am one who cringed every time the ball was thrown in his direction.

Hopefully, one of either he or Wheatley works out long term.

Which is why pick 22 should be Pouncey then take a tackle in the 2-4 round like Jared Veldheer or Rodger Saffold.

No. We can either fill holes with all 4 picks or use one of them on the BPA. But if we do that with 22, all of the other picks have to be needs based.

Remember, we need:
OLB x 1 (and Tully isn't a long-term solution at the other spot either)
DE x 1
TE x 1
WR x 1

We have four Day 1 and 2 picks and a 4th round pick. I'm currently hoping to spend the 4th rounder on a TE, so there is scope for a BPA pick in the 22-53 range - or we might trade that pick into next year. But we can't take both Pouncey and a tackle, the need just isn't great enough.

When you're in a fortunate spot like ours where you have four big picks in a loaded draft, I think you should address your needs rather than simply scrambling for the best player available.

Re: Wheatley.

After seeing him in action for the Buffaloes, and the way he moved at the Combine, there is no doubt he has immense physical talents. And the reports of his intangibles at Colorado were all the same - smart, hard-worker, leader. I just wish he could get on the field.

As for bolstering the O-line, I think we could see a Center drafted, but I'm not sure about the rest of the interior looking at the amount of players we've had contact with in the build up to the Draft. OT - certainly, I think we'll see one guy drafted, and probably on day 3, but I doubt it's someone high.

If we don't go Odrick in the first, I wonder if we'll leave it until later and target CB and a few of the skill positions early.

Re: Wheatley.

After seeing him in action for the Buffaloes, and the way he moved at the Combine, there is no doubt he has immense physical talents. And the reports of his intangibles at Colorado were all the same - smart, hard-worker, leader. I just wish he could get on the field.

As for bolstering the O-line, I think we could see a Center drafted, but I'm not sure about the rest of the interior looking at the amount of players we've had contact with in the build up to the Draft. OT - certainly, I think we'll see one guy drafted, and probably on day 3, but I doubt it's someone high.

If we don't go Odrick in the first, I wonder if we'll leave it until later and target CB and a few of the skill positions early.

I liked Wheatley a lot as a rookie. Both he and Wilhite appeared to be developing quickly under Capers. Then, last season, Wilhite's progress seemed to stall and Wheatley seemed to regress (injuries aside). I'd like to think that it was the coaching difference and that Brown will get both back on track. Meanwhile, the Pats appear to have had something beyond mere "due diligence" contact with several CB prospects who are projected to go early or very late (curiously, not many contacts with projected mid-round guys). So, I'm thinking they may not consider either Wheatley or Wilhite a worthy candidate for a solid CB triumvirate (with Butler and Bodden) and are considering a serious replacement prospect early and/or a sleeper/challenger for depth late.

Also, I think you're spot on regarding the O-line possibilities vis-a-vis pre-draft contacts. Pouncey (1st) and Tennant (3rd) are the only high-projection interior guys they've worked with significantly (beyond a simple PW). And Pouncey's contacts may well have been mere due diligence. They also appear to have invested a lot in (likely PFA) OT Chris Campbell. The rest of their O-line contacts could simply be DD, including Saffold and Veldheer (projected at #38 and #75, respectively now). Too bad since I think Saffold could pull a Seabass in 2010 at RG or RT.

They've looked hard at Alualu (2nd), Wootton (3rd) and Jones (5th) and done their DD on several others so I agree that they've set up later options beyond Odrick. I favor Alualu out of that group. We'd probably have to snag him at #44, though.

But we can't take both Pouncey and a tackle, the need just isn't great enough.
That's just your opinion, not fact. I think the need at Oline is greater than WR/TE. Taking a C and OT would be need based picks.

So many options with the WR class this year. I adore it.

Don't get your hopes up too high. There are WR prospects out there, but that doesn't mean they fit what BB wants in a WR. And don't be surprised if the Pats draft someone you've never heard of, or that many people will declare as 'reaches'.

Don't get your hopes up too high. There are WR prospects out there, but that doesn't mean they fit what BB wants in a WR. And don't be surprised if the Pats draft someone you've never heard of, or that many people will declare as 'reaches'.

If you'd read the rest of the post, you'd have seen the bit where I said "there's a lot of guys who fit what we do". There are a huge amount with the attributes required in a Pats WR - quick twitch, slippery, hard nosed, route running skills.

All those guys I posted fit the above criteria and skillset, plus a boat-load more I didn't mention.

If you'd read the rest of the post, you'd have seen the bit where I said "there's a lot of guys who fit what we do". There are a huge amount with the attributes required in a Pats WR - quick twitch, slippery, hard nosed, route running skills.

All those guys I posted fit the above criteria and skillset, plus a boat-load more I didn't mention.

Yep. This should be a great weekend to go shopping for a truly legitimate #3/#4 guy. Many on sale at bargain prices!

Many of these DBs can also return kicks or punts and play on coverage units. Someone like Robert McClain.

That's just your opinion, not fact. I think the need at Oline is greater than WR/TE. Taking a C and OT would be need based picks.

I would love to see the Pats take Pouncy at #22.....as big as our need is at WR/DE/OLB.....our #1 priority is keeping TFB healthy. We have seen how he can make JAG WR's shine. Pouncy works at both G and C....great future C for the club.

Of course it's just my opinion. If it was fact, Bill would be on the phone and getting me on a plane to Foxboro right away :p

At center, we have an experienced starter who is weaker in pass protection than we would like. Our division is filled with 3-4 nose tackles who Koppen can rarely handle by himself. When both our starting guards are playing, this is not a problem; when Neal is out injured, Mankins has to cover for Koppen which leaves the LT more exposed. Is Koppen a terrible center though? I wouldn't go that far. He isn't great, and we can definitely upgrade, but I don't see it as a hole per se.

At OT I think we're fine with Light, Vollmer, Kazcur and Levoir. We hit on Vollmer big time last year, which makes the position less of a need. At LT we have Light, Vollmer, Levoir. At RT we have Vollmer, Kaczur, Levoir. You can then add into that the unknown factor that is George Bussey.

Compare that to WR, which is Moss, Welker/Edelman, Tate, special teamers. There's no depth there at all. And it's the same at TE, where we have Crumpler then unknown practice squaddies.

Just my opinion :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back