PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Olb, de, te, wr, cb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of "nice to haves" and BPA's (every position but QB and NT). And I have seen those who have suggested signing a QB an/or a NT.
===============================================
However, to me, the list below represents very serious needs.

OLB replace Burgess, Thomas and compete with Crable
DE replace Green
TE replace Watson
WR fill flanker roster spot (replacing Edelman whom moves over to the slot)
replacing Welker for at least half the year
CB replacing (or competing with) Springs or Wheatley

Note that we need two OLB's even if Burgess is re-signed.

Last edited:
There are lots of "nice to haves" and BPA's (every position but QB and NT). And I have seen those who have suggested signing a QB an/or a NT.

DE replace Green
TE replace Watson

I am betting that Springs is released,I don't see him on the roster come week 1

I would think that a CB will come in round 2 if there is one that is worthy

DE replace Green
TE replace Watson

Agreed. I may even add another WR to the mix. Round two throughout has some talent capable of upgrading the bottom of the Pats WR corps. Seriously.

The Pats could rebuild the WR group from top to bottom this year. The class is full of guys who fit what we do, and they range from slot guys, to deep threats, to possession guys.

Even if you add just three, say for example Damian Williams, Emmanuel Sanders, and Marcus Easley, you add the most Pro-ready WR in the class who can play inside and outside; a deep threat who's played in a spread offense (or a variation thereof - a lot of what June Jones is similar to our Offense) with outstanding cutting ability and explosion; and then you add a big, fast possession guy who can move like a guy 4 inches shorter and 30lbs lighter.

Imagine shoving those in alongside Moss, Edelman and Tate.

Another variation of the above - Demaryius Thomas, Andre Roberts, Seyi Ajirotutu.

Put Thomas' locker next to #81's and tell him to glue himself to his butt for the next year, Roberts would become TFB's best friend (he is Deion Branch v2.0), and Ajirotutu would end up being or Anquan Boldin - big, strong, fast, and absolutely fearless.

So many options with the WR class this year. I adore it.

Last edited:

DE replace Green
TE replace Watson

Almost totally agreed, especially on the need for two OLBs.

1) WR spot - our hole is at split end, not flanker. If you want a flanker for 2011 to replace Moss, sure, but I don't see one in this draft. This draft class seems a lot more suited to split end - lots of good WRs with both big pluses and big minuses.

2) If you want another CB, fine, but draft them low. We have more pressing priorities. Play Chung as the nickel corner if you need to. We have Bodden and Butler to start at corner, which is a good area to be in.

Chung could be our nickel?

I guess corner is a higher priority than I thought.

There are more reps for nickel backs than for NT's and LDE's. I consider position equal importance to some of the starting positions.

Almost totally agreed, especially on the need for two OLBs.

1) WR spot - our hole is at split end, not flanker. If you want a flanker for 2011 to replace Moss, sure, but I don't see one in this draft. This draft class seems a lot more suited to split end - lots of good WRs with both big pluses and big minuses.

2) If you want another CB, fine, but draft them low. We have more pressing priorities. Play Chung as the nickel corner if you need to. We have Bodden and Butler to start at corner, which is a good area to be in.

Last edited:
I am betting that Springs is released,I don't see him on the roster come week 1

I would think that a CB will come in round 2 if there is one that is worthy

Unless we pick up a FA or draft a CB who is vastly superior from the first day of camp, I don't really know why we'd let Springs go. Beyond Bodden and Butler, Springs was a tad better than Wilhite and both were way ahead of anyone else on the roster. Without Springs, we have two good starters plus one barely adequate nickel/dime guy and . . . . and . . . . nada.

No one thinks the Pats need some OL help? Light, Kaczur, and Koppen we're pretty brutal at times last year. Neal and Light are old/can't stay healthy. I don't know how many more huge hits Brady can take.

No one thinks the Pats need some OL help? Light, Kaczur, and Koppen we're pretty brutal at times last year. Neal and Light are old/can't stay healthy. I don't know how many more huge hits Brady can take.
If Graham and Kindle are off the board, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats draft Pouncey if he's available. This line lacks toughness and Koppen is the weakest link of the group followed by Kaczur. However, worst case scenario Vollmer starts are RT. That's why Pouncey should be the pick.

Last edited:
If any CB is replaced, I'd rather it be Wilhite. He just did not look comfortable out there at all last year.

If any CB is replaced, I'd rather it be Wilhite. He just did not look comfortable out there at all last year.
You'd replace Wilhite over Wheatley? He may suck but at least he stays on the field.

Last edited:

DE replace Green
TE replace Watson

I think we need a CB who's better than Wheatley and can compete with Springs and Wilhite (who were about equal last year). Based on what I've seen of the prospects, I think a guy like that may have to come from the 2nd round. I feel like there's a fairly significant dropoff (to perhaps Wheatley level) immediately after that. Could be a sleeper though, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it. This might be priority #1-B for me.

Ton of WR prospects throughout this draft who could play split end opposite Moss better than Gaffney did (and waayy better than Aiken or Stanback). No reason for desperation there. Just get at least two, though.

Not sure BB is even looking to "replace" Watson, at least not necessarily in terms of seeking an "elite" receiving TE. So, a mid to late round pick (or two) will probably suffice there.

OLB and DE, though, absolutely #1-A priorities.

RB to upgrade at least one (if not two) spots on our five-man RBBC would be priority #1-C for me. Doesn't have to be an elite, complete, every-down back, just somebody who's younger (and potentially a bit better) than who we have now. Hardesty, Tate, Gerhart, Dorin ****erson, Lonyae Miller, Andre Dixon would all be suitable candidates available in the mid-late rounds.

So five players are needed and we have four picks early enough to draft starters. We then double up later on to increase the odds. Most teams can hope to fill two and dream to fill three of there needs in the draft. We can fill all five spots. That doesn't mean each guy will pan out though.

You'd replace Wilhite over Wheatley? He may suck but at least he stays on the field.

Wheatley has at least looked comfortable when he's on the field and you don't see him trailing a receiver by five or more yards as said receiver is streaking toward the end zone. Go back and watch both the Indy and New Orleans games from last year and come back and tell me if you think he looks comfortable at all in this defense.

I think you may have Wheatley and Wilhite confused. Wilhite was actually on the field for more snaps than Butler (580 to 525). He made some serious mis-judgments that cost us, but at least looked like he knew what he was doing a lot of the time.

Wheatley, OTOH, made the field for all of 21 snaps and never looked like he had a clue where he was supposed to be.

Wheatley has at least looked comfortable when he's on the field and you don't see him trailing a receiver by five or more yards as said receiver is streaking toward the end zone. Go back and watch both the Indy and New Orleans games from last year and come back and tell me if you think he looks comfortable at all in this defense.
Like I said, Wilhite is a horrible CB, but I give him props for actually staying on the field and trying.

I guess you gave Duane 'fly by me for a TD' Starks props too?

Wilhite got beat for 6 TDs last season. On four of those, he made a misstep and even his considerable speed couldn't close the gap. However, on one of Wilhite's TDs, he got beat by literally a few inches by one of the best receivers in the game on a perfect pass by one of the best QBs to ever play.

Overall, his stat line for 2010 was comparable to that of Dunta Robinson and Marcus Trufant (and Shawn Springs) and not all that far behind Asante Samuel. Not truly horrible for a sophomore. I think there's reason to be hopeful yet.

This draft is pretty weak at guard and center. It is deep at tackle though. I think we get a rotational guy later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back