PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK, you X and O guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming everyone reports correctly on the Patriots side, the sensible thing to do as a blitzing defense is to play zone coverage, line up one of your DE's on the outside of Kaczur and send a corner blitz on the same side as part of a 5 man rush.

No-one there to block the corner, either Brady gets the ball away in 2 seconds or it's a sack.

EDIT: damn, unoriginal got there first.

Last edited:
See Bobs answer above.

How about this alignment ? I'll bet that would cause a Ravens time out.
I don't ever recall a five rb offense.

Green-Ellis Light Mankins Koppen Neal Kaczur Morris

Taylor Faulk

Brady

Maroney

Maybe a timeout out of sheer bafflement, but Green-Ellis and Morris are fairly pointless players there since TEs can block better and catch better.

That said, a line up of Watson-Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-Kaczur-Baker with the same backfield would be potent. Is this some old formation I've never heard of?

One thing I think the Jets would do is bring pressure on the weak side where the Pats have no receivers, in an effort to get to Brady quickly. The Pats would be outnumbered on that side allowing somebody a free lane to get to Brady. That would eliminate the possibility of Moss or Galloway running a long, or even medium route because Brady would have to get rid of the ball very quickly.

The other thing is they'd probably have somebody right on the line with Welker, expecting him to step behind the other receivers on a screen, and those other receivers become his blockers. Stick somebody close to him to try and tackle him for a loss behind the line of scrimmage if that happens, or maybe even jump that right for a pick six.

Ok, so I think this would be technically legit:

Code:
Galloway                                   LT   LG   OC   RG   RT   Watson
             Moss  Edelman  Welker     

Brady

Watson moves to the other side, so that kaczur isn't an eligible receiver. I put Brady further back because, if you're using an empty backfield, there really is no reason not to have your QB in shotgun.

At this point, though, it's pretty much a trips left set, with Welker as something like a wingback, and not something all that different than having trips left with Faulk motioning out from the backfield.

As for how the Jets would defend it, well, that would depend entirely on down and distance, wouldn't it?

Would rolling the OL and Brady out away from weakside pressure afford him enough time to find an open receiver?

Ok, so I think this would be technically legit:

Watson moves to the other side, so that kaczur isn't an eligible receiver. I put Brady further back because, if you're using an empty backfield, there really is no reason not to have your QB in shotgun.

At this point, though, it's pretty much a trips left set, with Welker as something like a wingback, and not something all that different than having trips left with Faulk motioning out from the backfield.

As for how the Jets would defend it, well, that would depend entirely on down and distance, wouldn't it?

I believe Kaczur can report as tackle eligible, cover up the end and thus be legit allowing Watson to stay on the strongside.

Assume 1st and 10 down/distance.

If the Jets countered with 6 DB's ...........

Code:
                                       SLB       X       X        X         WLB

Galloway  Moss  Edelman  Welker     Watson   LT   LG   OC   RG   RT

Brady

..... could 4 of our OL handle the Jets 3 man front?

Last edited:
One thing I think the Jets would do is bring pressure on the weak side where the Pats have no receivers, in an effort to get to Brady quickly. The Pats would be outnumbered on that side allowing somebody a free lane to get to Brady. That would eliminate the possibility of Moss or Galloway running a long, or even medium route because Brady would have to get rid of the ball very quickly..

If you bring guys on the weak side, you're going to end up with several wide open receivers. If brady gets the ball out, you're looking at a huge gain.

Maybe a timeout out of sheer bafflement, but Green-Ellis and Morris are fairly pointless players there since TEs can block better and catch better.

That said, a line up of Watson-Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-Kaczur-Baker with the same backfield would be potent. Is this some old formation I've never heard of?

No, I've never seen five running backs line up, but if it's ever happened, I'd bet Belichick knows about it.

I'm just thinking it would baffle the defense, and make them waste a timeout.

How would the Jets funky defense matchup scheme wise

Code:
Galloway  Moss  Edelman  Welker     Watson   LT   LG   OC   RG   RT

Brady

They would overload the left side, play press coverage on the WR's, roll the safeties over and bring them closer to the line of scrimmage, say eight yards. Line up a linebacker on the outside shoulder of Watson with an end head up. No free release for Watson, LB either comes or sits in the passing lane overload side blitz roll's through Kazcur and knocks Brady into turf.

I like 2x2 WR sets against their scheme not 4x0. Or maybe just commit to run the ball with less zone blocking crap.

First Off I am about 99% sure that Kazcur can't be an eligible receiver in this formation. He can't declare himself eligible unless there are 5 other O-lineman and watson with the 80's number doesn't count. I am going with watson on the right side and the 4 receivers on the left.....I think they would man up the outside 3 receivers with a safety over the top.....They would put a LB to split the difference of welker and the LT....They would have a 3 man line....They would have a MLB lined up over the center and 5 yards off the LOS....They would have an OLB outside of Watson and the other safety over the top.....I think they would jam the 3 receivers in man the LB between welker and Light would flow to the flats on the strong side and try to jam welker, The MLB would get a drop for any crossing routes, The OLB would blitz off the weak side and the extra safety would pick up watson Off the line...This kind of a formation is predicated on pressure...If you can't get pressure someone will get open all day long but you have to get pressure to be successful....

I thought that there could only be 5 players eligible to receive the ball, meaning if Kaczur was, one of the others couldn't be.

I believe Kaczur can report as tackle eligible, cover up the end and thus be legit allowing Watson to stay on the strongside.

Assume 1st and 10 down/distance.

Making Kaczur eligible on the right side isn't going to get you an extra eligible receiver on the left, though -- you need a minimum of 7 players on the LOS, and 5 on the interior are ineligible. If you put Watson on the left, he'd have to essentially be playing tackle -- and I'm a )not sure that would be legit, and b) I am sure that you're not getting anything good out of it.

My take..

I'm surprised the pats didn't run more crossing routes when the jets lined up man to man and overloaded on one side..

And to be honest, I really felt the loss of Welker really hurt their ability to beat the blitz.. So its important he's back next week and vs the Jets..

TO COMBAT THE JETS on their overload blitz on 3rd and long.. I would lineup Moss, Welker and Galloway on one side (trips).. Watson lined up next to Kazur and Faulk and Brady in their shotgun positions... if the Jets blitz from the right, I'd hand it off to faulk off tackle or anywhere behind RG-RT-TE.. And let him do his thing.. If the Jets blitz on the left side, I'd have the trips run crossing routes, welker being the hot read.. And at the same time, have watson run a slant out and faulk run a curl route straight ahead..

Could also run two TE's, while brady is in shotgun, faulk in the backfield.. Lineup two WR's on one side.. ANd do the same thing..

Faulk was to quiet that game.. Especially without Welker playing

Shucks ...... I thought the only restriction I had to worry about was making sure I had an eligible receiver between the OL and the sideline.

Thanks, in this case, do you envision the WCB lining up on the weakside or covering one of the WR's on the other side and blitzing from that strong side?

Further, do you see them covering "zones" to the Pats weakside or just on the strongsdie

I think any team that is aggressive would overload the weakside with 3 rushers against 2 blockers. You can rush 4 (or even 5) play man on all the receivers and have a free safety over the top.

If it were me, I'd line up a DL over the C, one in the C/G gap, the G/T gap and another outside the T.

If I'm on offense I run an inside receiver all the way to the sideline and have his man picked off in traffic, and/or and outside guy to the middle.

The problem with empty backfield is not only that you have no one to go help with an overload, but that it is easy to overload because you don't have to worry about the run.

By the way, what you are showing is really just a bunch formation, but I dont ever remember seeing it with 5 to one side.

As far as the tackle eligible .... which of our OT's (if any) is a former TE and presumably a decent receiver? Volmer maybe?

Your biggest issue is that you made one of your WRs ineligible so that Kaczur could be an eligible receiver.
You only get 5 eligible receivers. Putting one inline and making Kaczur ineligible negates the point of having that guy on the field.

Shucks ...... I thought the only restriction I had to worry about was making sure I had an eligible receiver between the OL and the sideline.

Essentially you have made Kaczur a TE, and Watson a T, and set up a bunch formation left.

What about flipping Kaczur and Watson. Here is what you create:
A defender must cover Watson on the weakside. (No one would ever defend this with a zone. ) You have 4 WRs to the left. I still think you get an overload to the weakside, but depending on alignment, Watson can have a block/route read.
Make it real intesting and move Neal to the left side too, and run a WR screen.

Essentially you have made Kaczur a TE, and Watson a T, and set up a bunch formation left.

What about flipping Kaczur and Watson. Here is what you create:
A defender must cover Watson on the weakside. (No one would ever defend this with a zone. ) You have 4 WRs to the left. I still think you get an overload to the weakside, but depending on alignment, Watson can have a block/route read.
Make it real intesting and move Neal to the left side too, and run a WR screen.
So, this, AJ?

Code:
Galloway  Moss  Edelman  Welker     RT  LT   LG   OC   RG   Watson

Brady

What about sticking Volmer in for Neal at RG for max pass protect?

This was shown on varsity blues with a slight diff they have 4 bunch receivers to one side and 1 on the week side this would force them to cover moss 1 on 1 between Revis and Moss I believe moss would win less of the battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back