OK, you X and O guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or how about this for max protect ....

Code:
                                              Volmer  LT  LG  OC  RT   Watson
Galloway  Moss  Edelman  Welker 

Brady

This was shown on varsity blues with a slight diff they have 4 bunch receivers to one side and 1 on the week side this would force them to cover moss 1 on 1 between Revis and Moss I believe moss would win less of the battles.
Yeah, not sure Moss beats Revis singled up enough.

My thinking in bunching up to one side is to cause man coverage confusion on the Jets part. Or, if they play zone to be able to flood the zone expecting a free roamer. In either case my thinking was that having all/most of the players bunched up to one side might make ID'ing easier for a smart QB like Brady.

Of course, protection is paramount.

My thinking in bunching up to one side is to cause man coverage confusion on the Jets part. Or, if they play zone to be able to flood the zone expecting a free roamer. In either case my thinking was that having all/most of the players bunched up to one side might make ID'ing easier for a smart QB like Brady.

No doubt it would, but I'd expect any defense to switch out of man anyways because it would be too easy to lose a guy on a pick play with that kind of overload. With an overload like that the zone of where the pass is going is much more definite than which man is getting it. They would use that to their advantage.

They might do an "Adalius Thomas jam" thing on the one eligible end in the 4-man bunch to disrupt the route tree and get some leverage against any kind of outside screen, but that can be done in zone too. If you're overload blitzing the weakside, you'd probably be more efficient in coverage and have a better chance for a turnover if you flooded the short zone with every available body except the free safety. Maybe even zone drop the strong end and tell him to get his arms up.

You also would want to play zone there so your linebackers have their eyes on the QB if he decides to scramble, which Brady will do against a failed overload (or just an undisciplined contain rush).

Well as long as we are talking X and O's, we know that the wildcat is derived from the wing formation teams used to run many years ago.

Why don't we ever use the true wing formation? I mean think about it- when you don't know who the ball is being snapped to, the QB, FB, or RB- that uncertainty should mess up the timing of a blitz-happy team.

Just a rambling thought.

Well as long as we are talking X and O's, we know that the wildcat is derived from the wing formation teams used to run many years ago.

Why don't we ever use the true wing formation? I mean think about it- when you don't know who the ball is being snapped to, the QB, FB, or RB- that uncertainty should mess up the timing of a blitz-happy team.

The standard wing offenses don't use enough space. Defenses are too fast now and they'd disrupt the backfield and run down the tailback easily.

Also, the NFL field has been adjusted so it has the narrowest hash lines in American football. Wing offenses work better in college and (especially high school) because they stick their strong side towards the field and run into space. An NFL offense wouldn't be able to play with that kind of pasture.

They would laugh because only Galloway and the RT would be eligible receivers, and the Pats would march backwards 5 yards because Kazur forgot to report the he was eligible....

You must have 6 men on the line of scrimmage the 2 most outside guys are "eligible receivers" and must have an eligible number or report to the ref prior to the play.

What he said. That formation is illegal.

If Moss is on the line and Galloway, Welker, and Edelman are off and Watson is aligned next to the RT it would be legal. We already use a more efective formation. Moss wide right and trips left with a RB next to Brady. Watson can block for slip screens to Welker. Faulk or Maroney can stay in to block or run routes or motioned. If Welker is healthy, Galloway should be left one-on-one. It's up to him to make the play.

Last edited:
scheme wise, im 99% sure that it doesnt matter what the jets do, nor what we do...because if we score a touchdown on the play it will be called back for illegal formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes