PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok... I haven't been blasted much lately. We need a kick returner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kick returner is probably the position on the field where performance is least determined by talent, and most determined by the players around you.

The bears don't always have awesome kick returners because they draft awesome kick returners, but because they have terrific blocking on special teams. Same with the Jets, and the Ravens, and Bills.

They need better blocking. Not new returners.

I don't care if they got tackled in the backfield on some plays. The fact is, when they hit the hole, it seems like they do it with more authority. Almost like their intention is to move the whole pile forward. I don't see that from Maroney. You guys can apologize for him all you want. I just don't recall Bill giving the ball to Maroney on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 this year. That's certainly an indication that he doesn't trust him as much as he does Morris or Taylor to get that one tough yard.

Morris and Taylor are power runners. Maroney is not and was never billed as a power runner. Maroney is a cut back runner. So, no, his intention isn't to try and move the whole pile forward.

Its not a matter of "apologizing" for Maroney. Its a matter of having sensible expectations for the type of player he is.

And no, not giving the ball to Maroney on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 isn't a matter of trust. It's a matter of using the right tool. Maroney, as a cut back runner who can run with power, isn't the type of runner that ask to lower his shoulder and try and gut out the yard.

If Maroney was given the same plays to run from that Taylor and Faulk are given, then Maroney would have a better YPC. Because Taylor and Faulk were running a lot of draw plays.

Also, anyone who says that the O-line's run blocking isn't inconsistent hasn't been watching them very closely. When there are 2 or 3 defenders in the backfield as Maroney's getting the ball, then its clear that there is an issue with the blocking assignments of the O-line and not with Maroney. But people like yourself just would rather blame Maroney and say that he's the issue and let the O-line off the hook because they can pass block with the best of them.

Who cares about KR, the one position that utterly sucks on this team is P

Seriously if Hanson buries the ball deep in the 20 last week we arent wetting our pants with 30 seconds left

Who cares about KR, the one position that utterly sucks on this team is P

Seriously if Hanson buries the ball deep in the 20 last week we arent wetting our pants with 30 seconds left

No kidding! Is Hanson even capable of landing the ball between the 20 and endzone?

I was pumped about Maroney returning kicks the first game, the other team (bills) actually started kicking away from him. As much as I love Kfaulk I really can't stand watching him return kicks I would rather see Maroney getting the returns but often if he just ran in a straight line he would get 10 more yards than he usually does. I would like to see edelman return punts which we haven't seen very much of. Nobody should be asking to see welker in any return situation he should strictly be a wr theres too much risk for injury on special teams. Maroney is really our best option, just run damnit!

Kick returner is probably the position on the field where performance is least determined by talent, and most determined by the players around you.

The bears don't always have awesome kick returners because they draft awesome kick returners, but because they have terrific blocking on special teams. Same with the Jets, and the Ravens, and Bills.

Really Devin Hester, Leon Washington are not talented? Blocking is key but any NFL athelete can get to the 20-30 yard range. It takes more than just blocking to take it to the house.

Personally I think people in NE under value talent because of the whole "team" concept. Sure guys like Troy Brown, Bruschi, Vrable, etc. were good team players but they are also very talented.

Really Devin Hester, Leon Washington are not talented? Blocking is key but any NFL athelete can get to the 20-30 yard range. It takes more than just blocking to take it to the house..

Notice how when Devin Hester got replaced by Manning, and now Knox, the yards per return didn't go down at all?

In 2006 Maroney finished 2nd in the NFL in kick return average. He has 9 returns this season... with a long of 52. Why do we need another kick returner, again?

In 2006 Maroney finished 2nd in the NFL in kick return average. He has 9 returns this season... with a long of 52. Why do we need another kick returner, again?

And then in 2007 and 2008, Ellis Hobbs was in top 10. Its the blocking.

People want to get rid of Maroney because he was a first round pick and he hasn't turned into the lovechild of Gale Sayers and Jesus.

With Fred Taylor being out due to possible ankle surgery it might prudent for BB to look around the league for a good STer/return guy and save Maroney for the offense.

I don't like taking sides, but BlitzFritz is exactly right. Just watch the game. That coming to a complete stop crap on kickoff returns, and "oh, I'm going to go right, no wait left, no right", as he gets swarm tackled. I watched the game for the second time last night. We love our team/players, but it is what it is. Watch the tape.

P.S. - The thing is Maroney HAS talent, and can return kicks. When he's good, he's good. But, this not finding/hitting the hole thing may not be fixable with Maroney. I use to say give him time, but at some point..................

Has he gotten worse this year? He used to be pretty decent at returning kickoffs a year or two ago. Hobbs was better at it though. It seems like smaller/shiftier guys are better for kick returns. I mean look at guys like Devin Hester and Dante Hall. You'd think Edelman might fit the bill here? What do you say BB? Give him a shot?

No kidding! Is Hanson even capable of landing the ball between the 20 and endzone?

You're a few days late on this. Hanson has 12 punts on the season. 3 have been inside the 20. 3 have been TBs. 3 have been fair catches and 3 have been returned. He's averaging 38.3 Yards per punt and a net of 31.3. Is it great? Nope. Could it be better? Yep. Has it cost the Pats any games? Nope.

I was pumped about Maroney returning kicks the first game, the other team (bills) actually started kicking away from him. As much as I love Kfaulk I really can't stand watching him return kicks I would rather see Maroney getting the returns but often if he just ran in a straight line he would get 10 more yards than he usually does. I would like to see edelman return punts which we haven't seen very much of. Nobody should be asking to see welker in any return situation he should strictly be a wr theres too much risk for injury on special teams. Maroney is really our best option, just run damnit!

I do agree that Maroney seemed to have a brain fart on Sunday against the Ravens and that he should have just run. All we can hope for is that Fears and O'Brien pulled him aside and told him to just run.

Last edited:
All bashing will cease just as soon as Maroney puts two

good games back to back.

Well by the time that happens I may be too old to realize that I just **** myself and need a new diaper..she'll have to at least flush my bag......

Kinda like Al Davis right now!! :D

But people like yourself just would rather blame Maroney and say that he's the issue and let the O-line off the hook because they can pass block with the best of them.

Well you can add two distinguished persons to the list who "blame" Maroney as well:

Tedy Bruschi's Breakdown: Expect a chess match between New England Patriots and Denver Broncos - ESPN Boston

Reiss: From an individual standpoint, Laurence Maroney is a hot-button issue. That was a disappointing effort Sunday against the Ravens.

Bruschi: Everyone is upset with Laurence Maroney right now. Last week, I saw nothing good from him. He's still sort of dancing in the holes. Right now, he is not the best running back the Patriots have. With Fred Taylor's ankle keeping him out, they still have BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and we know the good things he's done with the ball. As for Maroney, I believe this coaching staff isn't close to giving up on him. He's still young, and youth is valued from a management perspective. I think they still feel they can possibly turn him into the running back they want.

Bruschi: Everyone is upset with Laurence Maroney right now. Last week, I saw nothing good from him. He's still sort of dancing in the holes.

This is as close to the gospel as we will ever get. I don't see how anyone refutes Bruschi speaking as the burning bush to Abraham in the form of Reiss. God isn't going to speak on this, and neither will BB.

Oh, and you could add Steve Grogan to the mix as well.

Grogan's Grade: Week 4 - New England vs. Baltimore

MB: After the game some friends of mine were complaining about Maroney, they're disappointed. What is your assesment of Maroney this season?

S.G.: I though in the beginning of the season he was doing more south running and hitting the hole more but yesterday he went back to his old routine. Kickoff returns he would bring the ball out to the 15 yard line and start dancing around and when they got him the ball he wasn't hitting the hole. I can't figure this kid out. He has so much ability but he's just not using it because he's so worried about breaking the big play everytime instead of just pushing the pile once in a while.

All bashing will cease just as soon as Maroney puts two

good games back to back.

Weeks 15 and 16, 2007. Weeks 19 and 20, 2007.

This is as close to the gospel as we will ever get. I don't see how anyone refutes Bruschi speaking as the burning bush to Abraham in the form of Reiss. God isn't going to speak on this, and neither will BB.

Sure. Bru also like BJGE and thinks the staff isn't close to giving up on LoMo.

Huh? It kind of helps if your fast and run forward though.

Oh, I forgot we were talking about Maroney. Yes, it is everyone else's fault.:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Synovia

2008 season

Willie Andrew 37.3 (4 returns)
Ellis Hobbs 26.0
Slater 14.1

Did they bring in a different 10 guys for Slater?

Last edited:
Wasn't there interest in Miller around the time last year when the Jets came into Foxboro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back