PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok... I haven't been blasted much lately. We need a kick returner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
And Justin Miller has been cut by the Raiders. Disregarding the Seau deal, would you dump Lockett to get Miller here on ST's? I admit I'd think it over.

And Justin Miller has been cut by the Raiders. Disregarding the Seau deal, would you dump Lockett to get Miller here on ST's? I admit I'd think it over.

How long has Miller been on the market? No takers? I think I recall character issues. Red flags.

How long has Miller been on the market? No takers? I think I recall character issues. Red flags.

I think they re-signed him last week and cut him again.

He got passed over by the Jets and Bills too, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Character issues have a way of settling down when there's winning to be had.

I'm not adamant, I just think he's a stellar return man, something this team does NOT have, unless Tate is going to be the man when gets off the PUP.

Last edited:
Nah. Maroney is good enough and we still have Edelman and Slater if anything happens. We're good.

Nah. Maroney is good enough and we still have Edelman and Slater if anything happens. We're good.

I think Maroney is one of the worst I have seen back there. I think we're giving the other team 5 yards on each kickoff return. 17 yards in the NFL just doesn't cut it.

Maroney could improve his return average by taking a knee in the endzone.

I think Maroney is one of the worst I have seen back there. I think we're giving the other team 5 yards on each kickoff return. 17 yards in the NFL just doesn't cut it.

Nobody rips off returns for TDs everytime they touch the ball. Maroney is very shifty in space and he's good enough for now. I remember everyone saying the same thing about Hobbs everytime he didn't take one back.

That said, I wouldn't complain if Edelman took over the duties either.

Maroney could improve his return average by taking a knee in the endzone.

Ouch! But so true. The guy, whether its returning kicks or running the ball just doesn't seem like he wants to punish would be tacklers. Looking at Morris and Taylor, they seem to love hitting defenders at full speed as much as running through creases. I don't see that with Maroney

Ouch! But so true. The guy, whether its returning kicks or running the ball just doesn't seem like he wants to punish would be tacklers. Looking at Morris and Taylor, they seem to love hitting defenders at full speed as much as running through creases. I don't see that with Maroney

Morris and Taylor both got tackled in the backfield a couple of times this past Sunday, just like Maroney. The only difference is that nobody crucifies them for it.

Morris and Taylor both got tackled in the backfield a couple of times this past Sunday, just like Maroney. The only difference is that nobody crucifies them for it.

I don't care if they got tackled in the backfield on some plays. The fact is, when they hit the hole, it seems like they do it with more authority. Almost like their intention is to move the whole pile forward. I don't see that from Maroney. You guys can apologize for him all you want. I just don't recall Bill giving the ball to Maroney on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 this year. That's certainly an indication that he doesn't trust him as much as he does Morris or Taylor to get that one tough yard.

I think he stands out because of his long hair:D well what else could it be, the other RBs can do what they want and they are great, even BJGE is rated better than him by a large number of the chimps that post on here.

dude, are you watching the same games as the rest of us??

look at the tape
- on kickoffs, maroney rarely makes it back to the 20. usually because he slows down at the 12 and starts dancing.
- on runs, he cant find the hole.

he's fast in space, but has poor vision. and he hasnt broken a tackle in his entire career. keep watching and tell me the first time you see him break a tackle.

He might be worth getting as insurance at a later time if he is still available but frankly spending a roster spot on another special teams only guy when they have a guy on the team who is actually doing not too bad of a job doesn't make sense...

Kick returns over their careers Maroney is actually slightly BETTER than Miller: 26.8 yards per return vs. 26.2 yards.

This year Maroney is BETTER than Miller in returns: 23.1 yards per return vs. 17.7 yards per return.

Miller's five TDs look great but overall there is no real improvement over Maroney overall when you really look at them...

A short memory you all have. Maroney has not been particularly good at returns this year, but neither has anybody else ont he team...which suggests that blocking may have to do with it.

Maroney has historically been a very good kick returner. He didn't return much in the last couple years, but in 2006 he returned 28 kickoffs for an average of 28 yards. That's pretty damn impressive. He has the ability, and I feel quite comfortable with Maroney out there.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing what Edelman does back there either.

I'd rather give the waterboy a go instead of LM next week. Seriously though, from what we saw last week, unless you were on the moon, Maroney is a horrible KR. Hobbs used to make us start on the 30-37 yard line, that's a nearly 10-17 yards difference. I would give Edelman a go from here on out, he looked pretty damn confident and fast doing it in Week 2.

Last edited:
I know Edelmann is versatile, but I would like to see him continue to progress as a receiver, and I think there are ample examples that it's hard for some guys to do both. I'd rather continue to have Maroney back there for now because he is really good in space and has ripped off very impressive returns in the past.

On somewhat of an aside, do you all think that Maroney is just afraid of contact?

A short memory you all have. Maroney has not been particularly good at returns this year, but neither has anybody else ont he team...which suggests that blocking may have to do with it.

Maroney has historically been a very good kick returner. He didn't return much in the last couple years, but in 2006 he returned 28 kickoffs for an average of 28 yards. That's pretty damn impressive. He has the ability, and I feel quite comfortable with Maroney out there.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing what Edelman does back there either.

It ain't the blocking entirely...a look closer over the last 10 years and the numbers say more- the stats are about average for them overall for the last 10 years. They average about 23.41 yards per return per season, their lowest was 20.1 yards in 2001 and highest was 26.8 in 2006(with Maroney doing the majority of returns that year).

All this complaining about the returns just four games in and over a 2.2 yard drop is getting a bit ridiculous...frankly if it wasn't Maroney back there alongside Faulk I doubt we would have this thread .

I'd love to see us use Jules as our return man. I think he has the raw talent to be very effective.

Last edited:
Maroney had a horrible game, but he has not had a horrible year, and he is not a horrible back. He is a JAG who shows flashes of potential never realized. He will never be a great returner or a great back, never gain 1000 yards, and he will be gone next year. Can we do better? Sure, Taylor, Morris and Faulk are all better in the backfield. On KO returns, we should try new guys. There are several guys with potential there, but my favorite would be Darius Butler. My guess though is that Maroney gets another shot in Denver.

Interesting post on the kick returner situation. I know Maroney gets blasted alot for being indecisive and not hitting the holes, as a running back. Well, I noticed in the Ravens game, on returns, he did the same thing. That is the stutter steps, the indecision, and all that crap that drives us all crazy.

Maybe, that will just never be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing