PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ohrnberger a Bust ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobbs played 16 games over two years (starting 7) and then retired. It's hard to say the deal was particularly bad.

He's not retired yet. I asked him about life after the NFL on Twitter and he yelled at me for assuming he was done :lol2:

No, it's not. You're using a freak injury to define a trade. I'm using the established game of Hobbs in comparison with the career, to date, of Ohrnberger. It was a bad trade.

Hobbs was a ****ty injury prone corner with one year left on his contract. Trading him for two fifth was a pretty good deal.

You can either say judge it at the time it was made-in which case they got decent value-or judge it in hindsight, in which both teams lost and it's a wash.

Either way not a bad trade.

Hobbs was a ****ty injury prone corner with one year left on his contract. Trading him for two fifth was a pretty good deal.

You can either say judge it at the time it was made-in which case they got decent value-or judge it in hindsight, in which both teams lost and it's a wash.

That's an embarrassing comment. I'd go as far as to say a ridiculous one. Hobbs was a serviceable corner and a very good special teams player.

I would call him a bust because of what the Patriots have invested in him and what he has returned.

Foremost is that they elected to keep him on the roster and let Ted Larsen go.

Now you're a bust if the team keeps you rather than cutting you? That's a real twist on the definition of bust. :confused:

Hobbs was the teams' starting CB, and he had been for years. He was the team's best CB at the time he was traded, and he would have remained so in the 2009 season, along with Bodden. Orhberger, basically, hasn't seen the field. You base the trade on what you gave up compared to what you got in return.

It's idiotic to claim that the trade did not end up as a bad trade, at least to this point.

Last edited:
We picked him up in the 4th and hobbs was on his way out- --- what's the eagerness to label him a 'bust'?

Is it basically first year pro-bowl or a-hole in the nfl now?

Edit: waaaaiitaminute.............did I just get tricked into a joke thread?

You seem confused. The fact is that a fourth rounder was cut after his second season training camp and none of the other 31 teams wanted to claim him.

I read all the other posts on this thread looking for a poster who said that a draftee has to be "basically first year pro-bowl or a-hole", as you claimed. No other poster said anything even remotely close to that.

Last edited:
The fact that this is even being discussed here is very very sad.

Hobbs was a ****ty injury prone corner.

You're right! Now O'Neal, that is what a corner should be! :rolleyes:

Hobbs was a good corner! Nothing special, but was asked at times to be a #1 corner, which is he wasn't!

Last edited:
The fact that this is even being discussed here is very very sad.

Things are quite good if we are debating whether a 4th round pick is a bust or not.. next up, the discussion of the plusses and minuses of long snappers Paxton, Ingram & Katula??

well the long snapper already got waived, so he's a bust.

The 7th round cb/st er we drafted...what's up with that when there are tons of guys floating around the league who can play STs for minimal money.

Anyway, I called ohrnberger a bust a long time ago. Just too little. I'm not sure who drafted him BB or Pioli, seems to have been kind of an emotional pick...played lacrosse, had him in for a visit, liked him personally. That's all nice but he's was a pretty tiny guy. They've fattened him up but I don't think he has the frame to play OG without getting run over.

Oh, and I was called a stinker for saying he was a bust.

Last edited:
My definition of a bust is really confined to the top 10. They should be ready made impact players from day 1.

I would have agreed with you before I ran across this article:

A 50% Chance You'll Squander Millions - WSJ.com

The article covers a long period of time and is written by two academics who understands statistics. The chance of producing an impact player with one of the top five picks in the draft is less than 50%. The chance of producing a bust is 14%.

It is not just bad teams making off-the-wall picks. There is usually a considerable consensus of opinion who the best players are.

I like the article because it demonstrates just how hard it is to pick a real winner even with the top five picks and it gives a perspective on how hard it is to pick well in the rest of the draft.

If memory serves the Pats traded Kickoff returner and starting CB Ellis Hobbs to the Eagles for a fifth round pick. They then promptly traded that fifth round pick along with their own fifth rounder, to get up into the fourth round to take Ohrnberger in the 2009 draft.

Just to clarify, they got two 5ths for Hobbs, both of which were traded for the 4th than netted Ohrnberger along with a 6th.

Draft recap, Sunday: Pats trade picks, Hobbs

I think what we have here is in fact 2 bad things. First, that we devalued Hobbs to a point where we let him go for a 5th round pick. Maybe he wasnt worth the 3rd we used to draft him, but he was a servicable nickle back and a dynamic ST weapon. Now add in the problem that we overvalued and traded up for Orny. He was drafted in a typical spot for a G/C that STARTS in the league at some point in his career. First and second round picks are rarely used on G/C. The fact that Dante obviously ok'd the pick and couldnt develop him is telling me that YES in fact he is a bust. But our cupboard is so thin at G he is still here. Now why didnt we pick up Moffitt instead of Mallett???

How do you know that it's the offseason, and the lockout has ruined the FA period?

Answer: there's a 35 post thread about Rich Ohrnberger.;)

I think what we have here is in fact 2 bad things. First, that we devalued Hobbs to a point where we let him go for a 5th round pick. Maybe he wasnt worth the 3rd we used to draft him, but he was a servicable nickle back and a dynamic ST weapon. Now add in the problem that we overvalued and traded up for Orny. He was drafted in a typical spot for a G/C that STARTS in the league at some point in his career. First and second round picks are rarely used on G/C. The fact that Dante obviously ok'd the pick and couldnt develop him is telling me that YES in fact he is a bust. But our cupboard is so thin at G he is still here. Now why didnt we pick up Moffitt instead of Mallett???

i agree with you completely. 4th round pick on a guard means "guy who should at least PLAY sometime in his career", not "guy who barely hangs on to his job on a guard depleted team". He's just too tiny. I saw him playing in gargabe time and he's a tiny guy with a big gut now. I think Cannon is evidence as to how they realize they screwed up...BIG TIME.

i agree with you completely. 4th round pick on a guard means "guy who should at least PLAY sometime in his career", not "guy who barely hangs on to his job on a guard depleted team". He's just too tiny. I saw him playing in gargabe time and he's a tiny guy with a big gut now. I think Cannon is evidence as to how they realize they screwed up...BIG TIME.

Since when is missing on a guy in the 4th round a BIG TIME screw up? Those guys have about a 25% chance of still being in the league 4 years later and about a 10% chance of being better than average.

It seems that BB's drafting is too good, because it caused fans' expectations to get all out of whack.

Last edited:
The Pats have had more luck with undrafted folks such as Connelly and Wendell -- not much with late round OL picks. Last year though both their late round OLmen were cut but ended up making the full squads of other teams.

If he can't make an impact this year, then I think we can safely call him a bust. So far he hasn't really shown anything, but some players take a while to develop. Seems to me that, given how good Scarnecchia is and our well-documented issues on the interior of the line, if he can't make it here I doubt he'll make it anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore