PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Free Agents thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did he say that?

SNF just posted it on FB.

“I’m going into free agency as a Super Bowl champion. You know they overpay Super Bowl champions,” Bennett said on NFL Network.

2003: Rodney Harrison
2004: Corey Dillon
2014: Darrelle Revis
2016: Martellus Bennet/Chris Long

I wonder which league veteran who is sick of losing comes to win their first ring with the Pats this year

I keep hoping we can draft Ronnie Harrison from Alabama next year (he's a safety), so I can pretend his name is actually Rodney. I miss having a Harrison in our secondary!

Bennett is gone. He's already talking about how teams over pay SB Champs. See ya!

Bennett was an important (especially with Gronk injury) part of this team this year. Despite actually being underwhelming compared to expectations, he made some crucial plays this year (and every catch in the SB counts) and it worked out great for both sides.

That said, he's always had "one year Patriot" written all over him. He's not only eccentric but he's also the only guy on the team who doesn't talk the "Patriots Way" in interviews. I know some people think that's overstated but anyone whose hear him talk this year realizes he often says things Bill wouldn't like anyone else saying. After the game he's claiming he's underated, wants to get paid, etc. etc.

Loved having him for the year but with his injury concerns/age + his odd non-Patriots way answers many times this year I am not looking to lock him up.

Bennet was on NFLN last night with his brother and was saying that now that he has the ring its time to cash it in... i am pretty sure he is gone

I agree, but his statement was that teams overpay for Superbowl champions.

That really shows ignorance of what it takes to win a championship, and is indicting whoever over pays him, doesn't understand the cap and chase shiny objects. Rats?

It won't be the Pats. I am sure BB will give him an offer he can take if he can't find anything better in free agency.

We'll see if teams have learned anything watching BB dominate.

Last edited:
I will keep Amendola, he is clutch in play offs and a team player. Bennet looks like he is gone and someone will overpay him.
Been saying all year I doubt Bennett would stay. He finished his post game with something to the effect of how happy he was to be hitting free agency as a SB winner because they always overpay SB winners.

Blount had a chance to cash in big, but he didn't fully capitalize. Lucky for him that he put up really good regular season numbers, but he still cost himself some dough with that bad performance. I appreciate him still. He balled out this season.

Last edited:
Been saying all year I doubt Bennett would stay. He finished his post game with something to the effect of how happy he was to be hitting free agency as a SB winner because they always overpay SB winners.

I'd be careful with putting too much weight on what people like Bennett say when a camera is put in front of them. Either way we will know in a month. As long as he doesn't end up with the Dolphins I am fine with him moving on. Can't be too angry at players that hit their 30s and want to cash in one last time.

I'd be careful with putting too much weight on what people like Bennett say when a camera is put in front of them. Either way we will know in a month. As long as he doesn't end up with the Dolphins I am fine with him moving on. Can't be too angry at players that hit their 30s and want to cash in one last time.
Yeah after reading Bennett's quote, it sounded kind of like a joke to me.

Indeed. I would love for him to stay, but he'll want to cash in, I feel. And I agree that I can't hold that against him or any player. The only reason I brought up the post game is because he alluded to a big check twice at the end. And the way he said it really made it seem like it's something he wants. But I do understand what you're saying.

Pretty sure after Bennet's off the cusp comments last night that he's looking for a big payday in FA, so he's gone.

Hightower will be a really, really hard decision. Historically the Pats only ever overpay their defensive or offensive playcallers, the guys making reads. See McCourty. They will try to keep him, but he's going to want > Collins money, which will be hard to justify.

At least one of Ryan/Harmon is gone (we won't be able to pay both), and so yea our secondary is going to take a big hit. Butler will get the 1st rounder tender.

Basically, we might be looking at a pretty massive turnover on D in order to keep fiscal sanity. The flipside is that if we don't overpay any of these guys we'd have a lot of cap space, so could make some splashes in the usual bargain basement mill.

From a long term perspective, overpaying guys is a bad way to run a franchise, however we really don't have that many more years of Brady either, so yea there is a question mark there.

Bennett's gone. We are lucky that we have the best TE and this year draft is loaded with TE.

HT is a better player than Collins and we have 61m. They paid DMC, they will pay him too.

Why not - At least one of Ryan/Harmon is gone (we won't be able to pay both)? I can see us paying them both fair deals like 6/5m and easily keeping both.

If Bennett and Sheard are gone. They can keep all other FA if they want.

We have $65,415,426 ( If we cut Waddle and Extend Dola) and $68,310,503 if we cut Dola and Waddle.

HT - 13
BUT - 12.5
RYAN - 6.5 + incentives
HAR - 4.5 + incentives
LONG - 2.5 + incentives
BRANCH - 3.5 + incentives
BLOUNT 2 + incentives
DEVLIN - 1.5 + incentives
FLOYD - 5 + incentives
52M- 57m So, 8 - 11 m in cap room

Going back to Blount, I would like to see him stay another year. Maybe an incentive laden contract. Keep Blount and draft an eventual power RB replacement. Blount could mentor him. Then we still have White/Lewis for passing downs and stuff.

#1) Butler
#2) Hightower
#3) Ryan
#4) Blount

I think Amendola is great but Mitchell can take those reps and he missed a bulk of the season and Pats were fine. He does play huge in the playoffs. The anti Welker. I think Valentine and Malcolm Brown can man the middle. If Amendola takes the hometown discount bring him in!

In terms of other FAs I like

#1) Calais Campbell. I doubt AZ can pay both him and Chandler Jones
#2) Jordan Cameron. Replaces MB and gives NE the two TE look again
#3) Akeem Ayers - Bring him back!
#4) Zach Brown - Take him from the Billlls who have to pay Gilmore.

Bennett's gone. We are lucky that we have the best TE and this year draft is loaded with TE.

HT is a better player than Collins and we have 61m. They paid DMC, they will pay him too.

Why not - At least one of Ryan/Harmon is gone (we won't be able to pay both)? I can see us paying them both fair deals like 6/5m and easily keeping both.

If Bennett and Sheard are gone. They can keep all other FA if they want.

We have $65,415,426 ( If we cut Waddle and Extend Dola) and $68,310,503 if we cut Dola and Waddle.

HT - 13
BUT - 12.5
RYAN - 6.5 + incentives
HAR - 4.5 + incentives
LONG - 2.5 + incentives
BRANCH - 3.5 + incentives
BLOUNT 2 + incentives

DEVLIN - 1.5 + incentives
FLOYD - 5 + incentives
52M- 57m So, 8 - 11 m in cap room

Don't think any of the guys highlighted get that per year. Long was on a $1mil contract and can't imagine the Pats paying him more than double what he made this year with another year of tread on his tires.

Branch has been great, but doubt he gets that much. If he does, won't be upset about it.

Blount IMO is not worth that much...i know he had an absurd amount of TD's, but that was without Lewis for 3/4 of the year, the offense giving him a lot of gimme's, and he's on the wrong side of 30. He kind of faded down the stretch and as others mentioned, certainly missed a few open holes in the playoffs.

Floyd graded out as something like the 92nd WR out of 110 qualifies (ballparking, can't find source), was inactive for the playoffs, AND has a huge legal issue hanging over his head. No way the Pats give him that much unless it's over 2 or 3 years. For reference, Edelman is still playing on a 4 year, $17 mil contract with only $8 mil guaranteed.

Any chance Butler walks?

Any chance Butler walks?
A small chance, sure, but the Patriots would be getting a first round pick in return unless they offer him a lower tender for some absurd reason. It probably makes more sense for a team to go after Bouye or Johnson in free agency and not give up a first round pick.

You keep dogging Ryan and he keeps proving you wrong. He's a very good #2 CB and has been for 2+ years and will be paid as such. Learn the game.

You're overrating just as he's underrating, so "learn the game" is probably not where you should be going with this.

Yeah after reading Bennett's quote, it sounded kind of like a joke to me.
When he said that, his brother and Dion were also on-air with him so there's some truth in what you are saying, but I think if some team offers him a lot more money than we do, he's outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe