PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Steelers vs. Pats POST game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats stupid. You can't compare every other team to the Patriots and BB's record off a bye. There is no such thing as being "due" for a win, you earn each win you take.

Like I assume the guy you quoted thinks, the Steelers WILL earn this win, and I agree. I don't think he meant they would be handed a win by the refs, again why are so little people seeing how good this team is, I think they are arguably top 4 slightly ahead of Baltimore, maybe even better than NO.

Reiss picked the steelers in this one saying the will get more pressure on brady than they usually do and the Pats D will struggle against those speedy WR's

With Bodden gone i see the latter happening..just hope he is wrong

As one steeler fan put it

If we can beat NE and Balt back-to-back, we will regain our swagger as the team to beat in the AFC

But i am not sure he looked at who they beat and their embarrassing loss to the ravens

Hope the pats kick the squeelers ass

Last edited:
Steelers will have no answer for Gronk, AH, and Wes.

Reiss picked the steelers in this one saying the will get more pressure on brady than they usually do and the Pats D will struggle against those speedy WR's

But i am not sure he looked at who they beat and their embarrassing loss to the ravens

It's amazing the level of respect the "speedy" receivers seem to get.

Amazing for the twenty something scoring offense in the league.

I've watched the Steelers games this season. They've looked fairly average in all of them.

the Pats D will struggle against those speedy WR's

With Bodden gone i see the latter happening

Bodden was covering the slot, so he would not be covering Wallace who lines up outside the numbers.

This is going to be the longest day ever

Oh, it snowed in Pittsburgh

Following the injuries on both sides- with Hines Ward being out, it looks most likely that the Steelers are going to commit to the long game, with Wallace and Brown working outside the hashes. I expect us to open in the nickel with a 3-4 look (or pure 3-4) because we are capable (and have proven) that we can stop their run game. Mendenhall did not run on us very well last year and only bit off big chunks in garbage time (Wallace padded his stats the same way). I think I would be happy if we went with the Ruby look in the nickel (three safeties).

The upside to cutting Bodden is the loud message it sends to the rest of the secondary: "We don't care what your pedigree is; if you're not with the program and not putting out 100%, you are out." I am sure that the secondary corp knows the onus is on them to prove themselves, and I think this is going to be a make or break game in terms of their confidence.

With all the noise on how Steelers D is experiencing some sort of resurgence- it's worth noting that all five of their wins have come against below .500 teams, and that's where they've padded their stats (e.g. #1 in pass D). As noted, they don't have anyone to match up with our TE's (more like hybrid WR's). Two of the big reasons that we have had overwhelming success against the Steelers are 1) Brady is deadly against zone defense, 2) we play spread against them and that forces their defense to play true more often than not. Polamalu is very effective when he is in the box, but when it's spread thin, he has more ground to cover and doesn't have the speed he once had.

One play I hope we'll see a lot of tomorrow is when the RB motions out of the wide split into the backfield at the last minute (from an empty pass play to a run). Not only will this force the defense to betray, but it also sets up for excellent play action because you know if nobody motions to the new formation, there is a zone blitz coming.

I think that we will all know, within the first five minutes of the game if the Steelers are doing something different on defense. If they aren't, then it pretty much seals their fate.

Following the injuries on both sides- with Hines Ward being out, it looks most likely that the Steelers are going to commit to the long game, with Wallace and Brown working outside the hashes. I expect us to open in the nickel with a 3-4 look (or pure 3-4) because we are capable (and have proven) that we can stop their run game. Mendenhall did not run on us very well last year and only bit off big chunks in garbage time (Wallace padded his stats the same way). I think I would be happy if we went with the Ruby look in the nickel (three safeties).

Sanders, with vastly better speed and quickness, is more than capable of replacing Ward's production, if not his toughness. Sanders was used very effectively last year as a move-the-chains wideout on 3rd downs, and is an excellent young talent. I think the impact of Ward's absence is both in the run game (where he's essentially used as a 2nd blocking TE), as well as on Miller, who may be asked to block even more than usual (a shame because I think Miller could have success underneath in the passing game.)​

The upside to cutting Bodden is the loud message it sends to the rest of the secondary: "We don't care what your pedigree is; if you're not with the program and not putting out 100%, you are out." I am sure that the secondary corp knows the onus is on them to prove themselves, and I think this is going to be a make or break game in terms of their confidence.

As an outside observer, I'm baffled regarding your secondary, which seemed loaded with high picks and good, young talent before the year started. Plus a great defensive coach to boot to coach them up...I'm surprised the unit hasn't taken a big step forward.​

With all the noise on how Steelers D is experiencing some sort of resurgence- it's worth noting that all five of their wins have come against below .500 teams, and that's where they've padded their stats (e.g. #1 in pass D). As noted, they don't have anyone to match up with our TE's (more like hybrid WR's). Two of the big reasons that we have had overwhelming success against the Steelers are 1) Brady is deadly against zone defense, 2) we play spread against them and that forces their defense to play true more often than not. Polamalu is very effective when he is in the box, but when it's spread thin, he has more ground to cover and doesn't have the speed he once had.

I've stated similar things in other posts. We have terrible matchups not only on your TEs, but with Welker (where our slot CB Gay is average at best) and your pass-catching running backs (since neither Farrior or Foote run well, and the one LB who *can* cover, Timmons, has been moved outside due to the Harrison injury). Not sure who's suggesting the Steelers' D is experiencing some sort of "resurgence" btw, I think most observers acknowledge a decline in the defense, particularly in the run game where age and injury have led to a precipitous decline in the play of both Hampton and Smith (even before he was IR'd) .​

I think that we will all know, within the first five minutes of the game if the Steelers are doing something different on defense. If they aren't, then it pretty much seals their fate.

I think the Pats match up incredibly well with the Steelers D, and we have some personnel issues in pass coverage that probably restrict what Lebeau can reasonably change schematically. Our DL doesn't generate pressure on its own, and our DBs (outside of Taylor) need LB pressure to hide their coverage weaknesses. When you spread the field and neutralize our LBs, we can look very average, and I think our D will have a difficult time getting off the field tomorrow.

I'd almost prefer that the Steelers blitzed more than 50% of the time and played press coverage (even though Brady kills the blitz, and our DBs are coached from day one to give soft cushions!) At least then we'd go out guns blazing, rather than "a death by a thousand cuts" (Pats constantly moving the chains with underneath stuff). I think our only real hope is that a monster game by Woodley and success with some of our blitzes keeps your scoring manageable, and we somehow outscore you. Short of that, I'm expecting something in the 41-20 ballpark (Pats victory).​

Thanks for getting the thread back on track btw. Nice analysis :)

I think the Pats match up incredibly well with the Steelers D, and we have some personnel issues in pass coverage that probably restrict what Lebeau can reasonably change schematically. Our DL doesn't generate pressure on its own, and our DBs (outside of Taylor) need LB pressure to hide their coverage weaknesses. When you spread the field and neutralize our LBs, we can look very average, and I think our D will have a difficult time getting off the field tomorrow.

I'd almost prefer that the Steelers blitzed more than 50% of the time and played press coverage (even though Brady kills the blitz, and our DBs are coached from day one to give soft cushions!) At least then we'd go out guns blazing, rather than "a death by a thousand cuts" (Pats constantly moving the chains with underneath stuff). I think our only real hope is that a monster game by Woodley and success with some of our blitzes keeps your scoring manageable, and we somehow outscore you. Short of that, I'm expecting something in the 41-20 ballpark (Pats victory).​

Thanks for getting the thread back on track btw. Nice analysis :)

Well I appreciate the impartial observations you are giving us from the other side. We rarely get those kinds of discussions from opposing fans, but when we get them, they are always enjoyable.

I am not sure our margin of victory (if we do get one) will be that large. I think last year's game is still on the Steelers' mind. I really do think they will try something different tomorrow with the hope of obtaining different results.

One question I have always wanted to ask you guys is why the insistence on zone defense and blitzing? Is it because that's the best use of the personnel you have on the team, or simply because LeBeau, at the age of 74, just isn't capable of a top to bottom overhaul? It works for the most part but is nearly always fatally exposed by a high-caliber QB.

I think that at one point the "this is what we do, see if you can beat us at this" would have worked, but there is a point where technique and design has to compensate for talent and physical ability (especially with age).

If I were you, I'd hope that the Steelers don't call zone blitzing against the spread. That is just too easy for Brady to exploit because the box gets too spread for pickup coverage to be effective (e.g., moving to cover a vacant zone because the player responsible for the zone has blitzed).

Last edited:
Bodden was covering the slot, so he would not be covering Wallace who lines up outside the numbers.
We should be playing a lot of zone, so Whoever Is Responsible For The Zone He Runs Into will be covering Wallace. I've heard Mr Into has had a good week of practice.

Like I assume the guy you quoted thinks, the Steelers WILL earn this win, and I agree. I don't think he meant they would be handed a win by the refs, again why are so little people seeing how good this team is, I think they are arguably top 4 slightly ahead of Baltimore, maybe even better than NO.

To be top 4, you have to have had at least ONE win against a team with a winning record.

Their wins are against teams that are now a combined 8-24 and their two losses came against 4-2 and 4-3 teams.

Color me unimpressed.

We should be playing a lot of zone, so Whoever Is Responsible For The Zone He Runs Into will be covering Wallace. I've heard Mr Into has had a good week of practice.

I have a feeling the safeties (three) will be in a cover 3, with corners in man on inside leverage so as to bump Wallace and Brown (and Sanders if he lines up outside) at the line and redirect them into the middle of the field. As Lillloyd says, not having Ward on the field forces Miller to assume more blocking responsibilities, so I think we will be in our nickel and sacrifice on the underneath, where we think the Steelers will not be as effective.

Who is Mr. Into?

I wish this game was in NE...with the snow and all we are getting tonight :D

I have a feeling the safeties (three) will be in a cover 3, with corners in man on inside leverage so as to bump Wallace and Brown (and Sanders if he lines up outside) at the line and redirect them into the middle of the field. As Lillloyd says, not having Ward on the field forces Miller to assume more blocking responsibilities, so I think we will be in our nickel and sacrifice on the underneath, where we think the Steelers will not be as effective.

I don't know how Ward being out affects Millers role. You don't really design plays by changing your TEs assignment because you have a lesser blocker at WR. It seemed like he was implying that Ward stayed in to pass block and now Miller will, which is ridiculous.

Our defense is always predicated on not giving up the big play. But regardless of speed no team throws enough go routes to make that the crux of an offense.
The bigger concern is going to be run after the catch in the seams. I could see us having corners playing INSIDE leverage to force the pattern wider and close the seam in the zone. The incuts, skinny posts and slants are the real worry IMO.

Who is Mr. Into?
It was a joke responding to the comment about who is assigned to Wallace because it will be "Whoever Is In The Zone He Runs Into".

Who is Mr. Into?
I also dont see 3 safties in the nickel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST