OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Who do you want to see OUT?

• Mac Jones OUT! Let us see Zappe!

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Matt Patricia OUT! Let someone else call the offensive plays!

Votes: 102 79.7%
  • Joe Judge OUT! He is ruining our Quarterbacks!

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • KEEP them ALL - I have complete FAITH in the choices BB has made so far this season!

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hey, I just thought of a silver lining!!!!

I bet teams won't be poaching any of our coaching staff in the offseason

So we have that going for us
yeah SteveB will not be poached but Mayo probably could be poached, if McD survives this season watch him go after Mayo as DC

Whatever your view of Mac, his performances simply cannot be analysed amongst the festering skip fire that is the O-line and play-calling.

Feels like 2006 again.

Something has to change.

Yeah, unfortunately this year is lost. Next year will be a big year for him. He will need better coaching, better o-line, and weapons.

I don’t think Brady yelled at his coaches other than maybe 1-2 times…he yelled at his teammates. I don’t think Bill is the kind of guy who tolerates what he perceives as disrespect. That’s just my opinion though.
Brady and Billy OBrien were about to throw down once; but that was just some competitive spirit

They are not that’s why they ask him to throw 5 yds passes the last 4 weeks
WRs and TEs are open all over including deep.

You need arm strength to hit those type plays.

I wonder where this team's focus is. You lost a game last week, season on the line and you miss a handoff on 3rd and inches on the first drive ? This team has no offensive leaders to lit a fire and the scheme and playcalling only makes them have more doubt in themselves.
God they were awful tonite.
Supposed team leaders aren’t. On offense that’s especially evident. Trent Brown? He was sick and it showed by game’s end. Rookie Strange69? Nope. The spoiled QB from colossally talented Bama? Hell, no.

The one guy rubs the coaches the wrong way. But Kendrick Bourne is the one guy with passion and heart.

WRs and TEs are open all over including deep.

You need arm strength to hit those type plays.

What you need more? Two tackles that weren’t absolute turnstiles last night. Fat, lazy Trent Brown is back and who can even name the RT last night.

Jones didn’t handle the pressure well in a lot of cases, but the o-line barely even tried to block last night.

But Patricia’s strategy last night was to throw short and exploit the Bills’ inability to tackle.

I think I would give up 3 1sts for Lamar or 5 1sts for Justin Herbert and I would sleep like a baby.

Chargers wouldn't trade Herbert for 10 1st round picks

But am not even talking long term. In this game, with this shyt OL, Zappe is better equipped to score more than 10 points. He is much more likely to avoid a rush and make a play.

It's not sustainable, as Ian said. Mac may be the better QB when all is normal. All is not normal.
Zappe came up from no where and _earned_ it.

The starter bidded his time and worked hard and was finally handed the keys to the fancy car.

Notice the difference?

Yeah maybe he was decent last week and I know he's missed some games but he also has seven touchdown passes and seven interceptions. Still an average quarterback and if you want to point out games we can.

He wasn't great against the Jets both times and he was bailed out buy a roughing the passer call and Jones saved the day the second game. He was also atrocious against Chicago in Baltimore where he threw three interceptions.

I get the frustration but it's a weird look when a not so great quarterback starts yelling at coaches.

He was decent last week., just decent?? He had over 300 hundred yards passing against a potential playoff team in a prime time game. His stats aren't the greatest when looking at them and a lot of those interceptions are his fault, but please tell me what QB in his draft class is doing any better? Again people who are down on Mac keep forgetting certain things. The coaching staff has hinder him, that's been said by everyone that is not a patriots fan. If you are honest with yourself that line is a complete a joke. He at times is not able to get into any rhythm, again he should shoulder some of the blame, he definitely should. But he is not the main reason for all of this, and your backup rookie QB does not solve the problem just like that. Not every backup is the answer in the NFL. History shows that.

And these coaches and players see both QBs everyday in practice. BB said after the Bears game that Mac is the QB for the rest of the season. Why do you think he did that? If Zappe is doing that much better than Jones in practice wouldn't he be starting?

Remember last season in training camp. Cam vs Mac. Mac did much better than Cam Newton and what happened? Cam Newton was cut before the season started and that was after Cam was taken more of the reps in preseason.

Last edited:
He'd have more to say if he was playing with the effort Meyers is. He just got mad and shut down...it's just really disappointing and it's certainly contributing to their issues this season.
I think it was more “he was shut down.”

And bringing in stranger Tyquan Thornton only in the fourth for the feeble downfield attempt was too little too late too sucky.

Hundred percent Patricia growing pains. He’ll be a good OC. In a year or two

So Mac want to throw the ball all over the field. So the approach at the beginning of the season was to please Mac and it was a disaster. If Mac is better the last few is because they came back to the quick game.

We are going nowhere with this guy cut bait now instead of losing 5 years.

Jones hated the offense the started the season. It wasn’t his choice. The goal was never to please Mac. That is a false narrative.

What did Mac do in the NFL to earn the right to tell his coaches what to do?

He has less game winning drive in the 4th quarter than f*cking Zack Wilson

this is football played by grown men. You think they just talk to each other. I don't know how much football you watch but they yell at each other all the time on the field. Mac is not a rookie anymore he is consider a vet and he is the starter on your football field. Also he understands football just like everyone else on the football field. Just like the defense can read plays and understand what the opp. is doing so can the offense.

Mac could clearly see what they were doing was not working during a highly emotional game. What was he suppose to do? walk over and whisper in the OCs ear??? These are grown man playing a brutal sports and he is not a rookie anymore. Gaming winning drives or anything else should have nothing to do with it, if you are a main part of this team and you are looking foolish out there. You better speak up. Your teammates would respect you more..

Zack Wilson has more game winning drives and he is benched by the Jets with his teammates screaming in the lock room while the media is there that they basically do not want him to QB anymore.....

tell me that is happening here with Mac Jones?

Last edited:
Feels great being in last place in the AFC east doesn't it?

I'm not ready to jump on the "toss Mac" or "toss Patricia" bandwagons. BB is the greatest HC in NFL history, so, while I'm not going to lump him with the dumpster fire that Gettleman built at the Giants (they took two years longer than they should to fire him...Mara's too nice a guy and Tisch is disengaged), I will say that Belichick has to bear a lot of responsibility for the current situation: Special Teams used to be their strength, now it costs them games; the D is not a Patriots' D with sloppy tackling and broken coverages that would normally cost the DC his job...but :) ; there's a weak cast around Mac and I have zero idea why Patricia is calling plays.

So, here's what I think. In the glory days, Belichick used to say that the Patriots' season started in the first week of December. Well, this year, December 1st marked the end of one season and the beginning of the next...anything else is delusional no matter what the standings say...put it this way, I give Tampa Bay with TB12 a lot better chance of making noise in January than I give the Pats (would love to be wrong about that, so Bookmark this to throw it in my face when the Pats win a Playoff game in January).

Yeah, there are some good things to build on, yada yada yada...but there needs to be a top to bottom review. If it were up to me, I'd fire the DC (yeah, right, that's gonna happen), get to the bottom of the Special Teams issues, give Mac another season with an O line that can protect him along with some weapons for him to use and get a new Offensive Coordinator, returning Matt to his old job. BB needs to focus on evaluating what he's got and be sure everyone on the team, from locker room attendants to all the players and all the coaches and all the staff know that their jobs are on the line.

The graphic during last night's game (comparing Brady over the last few seasons in Tampa with all of the Patriots' QB's combined during the same period) should be enough motivation for Belichick to want to prove that he can build a competitive team without the GOAT. He hasn't done that yet since, paraphrasing Bill Parcells' memorable words, he "does have to cook the meal but he also gets to buy the groceries." The buck stops with him.

Still, I'm putting my money on the greatest and winningest HC in NFL history, who now probably feels that he has something to prove. It's only because of the hit jobs done on him by the haters in Indy, at the Jetes, in the NFL office and at ESPN (and other media) that they aren't talking about putting his name on one of the trophies that gets handed out at the end of the year.

Last edited:
BB has proven to be average without Brady….and you are right most coaches reach legendary status because of the players they have (especially a legendary QB)…..Look at Andy Reid (not that he is legendary status yet) ….he was a stumblebum for years….until he stumbled upon a QB named Pat Mahomes (and Hill and Kelce didn’t hurt!

Regarding Andy Reid, he was not a stumblebum. He did very well in Philadelphia and did well in KC before Mahomes as well with Alex Smith. In fact, he took Alex Smith from being a bum to being a quality QB. I would argue that Reid is a better Coach than BB.

BB is a good coach that was made legendary by Brady.

Brady and Billy OBrien were about to throw down once; but that was just some competitive spirit

Yeah, Brady and McD went at it at one point too. That's why I said only 1-2 times Brady's done it and he gets a pass because he was a successful QB. Imagine being a young 2nd year player who hasn't done anything in this league and telling BB and Co. to throw the ball more. I doubt Bill appreciates it

Zappe came up from no where and _earned_ it.

The starter bidded his time and worked hard and was finally handed the keys to the fancy car.

Notice the difference?

Zappe earned it by Hoyer getting a concussion. Mac Jones was second last year in the OROY race. He didn’t win it because Chase had a historic year. And he beat out Newton in camp and the preseason. You saying that he didn’t earn his starting position and Zappe did?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back