PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread - Pats @ Raiders

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's just hilarious to see the doom and gloomers go on about pre-season when even Brady led teams would struggle on offense the first month of the regular season. Anyone recall 2014? Belichick was actually asked if he had thought about the status on Brady as the starter..

I don't understand what a "Patriots/BB apologist" is. Yes, there are people posting on a Patriots fan forum being hopeful that things will turn around in a positive direction. If this bothers you, I'm sorry (is this the "apologist" part?)
Apologist doesn't strictly mean "to apologize for" it's another word for defender/explainer of a position

it's just hilarious to see the doom and gloomers go on about pre-season when even Brady led teams would struggle on offense the first month of the regular season. Anyone recall 2014? Belichick was actually asked if he had thought about the status on Brady as the starter..
You're not wrong but don't forget a lot of people were speculating and even expecting Brady to fall off a cliff and the Chiefs game was their proof. At least that was a real game. Preseason games are even more ridiculous to use for "proof"

This situation could not be more different than when Brady was the NE QB.

There is a mess on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s disappointing that we didn’t double up at wr with doubs at that pick. Especially with the amount of time we spent scouting him pre-draft. He looks like he’s going to help GB right out the gate.
GB boards are really down on Doubs for his insane amount of drops.

Maybe Khalil Shakir would've been a better pick instead of Kevin harris

Popovich's departure correlated with a drop-off in OL performance, but I struggle to see how you can definitively state he was doing a "great job", short of working internally with him and others. It could've been dumb luck. Hard to know. Regardless of whether Popovich is a quality coach or not, the OL appears to need better coaching at this point in time.

As for his side-kick, Bricillo, the OL didn't fare very well under him last season, either, so I'm not sure he was anything special ... nor am I sure that he was Popovich's side-kick (again something I don't think any of us can really know, without personally knowing the people involved; there isn't exactly comprehensive reporting on the matter).

I can hear Kraft asking Belichick what is going on at OL. I don't see how bringing up the matter is a sign that this is the beginning of the end. Can't fix the problem without first addressing it.
I mean, we're going through a scheme change. Isn't it likelier that this is relate to the scheme change?

As for Popovich, the team dominated the Bills a few games after he left. And then had trouble with better teams late in the year.

The OL Looked great against the Jags. Then like crap against playoff teams.

People are really reading into this too much.

Our Super Bowl caliber OL of 2014-2016 struggled mightily when we switched to zone for a year in 2015.

It's scheme that's the problem. Are these guys equipped athletically for this scheme?

That and talking around the 1000s of personnel and coaching mistakes hes made while winning 6 of 9 Super Bowls and making the playoffs 17 of the last 21 seasons
You forgot throwing around his record without Brady devoid of any context because of magical QB powers. I mean obviously Brady won all those years with garbage teams Bill was too cheap to build right.

My question is why do we shift the scheme when we don't have the right personnel . Our best offensive lineman and brown and onwenu and OZ from what I heard does not suit their strengths .

The new guyz hines and stueber are also big folks who are not that athletically equipped to operate at OZ. So if that were the case , whats the point of trying it out.

If we move back to our original scheme, is strange a good fit ? I heard OZ fits strange really well, so what happens if we revert to the mean. Can he perform well enough? Hopefully with brown being next to his side the matchups could be favorable.

My question is why do we shift the scheme when we don't have the right personnel . Our best offensive lineman and brown and onwenu and OZ from what I heard does not suit their strengths .

The new guyz hines and stueber are also big folks who are not that athletically equipped to operate at OZ. So if that were the case , whats the point of trying it out.

If we move back to our original scheme, is strange a good fit ? I heard OZ fits strange really well, so what happens if we revert to the mean. Can he perform well enough? Hopefully with brown being next to his side the matchups could be favorable.
We didn't change schemes. We incorporated new concepts/plays into the existing one. On top of that the vernacular/language was changed.

For some run plays Mike is great. For others he is not.

It's a gradual process and one that doesn't happen overnight.

We didn't change schemes. We incorporated new concepts/plays into the existing one. On top of that the vernacular/language was changed.

For some run plays Mike is great. For others he is not.

It's a gradual process and one that doesn't happen overnight.

Thanks RW. I have started following the preseason the last few years and the concern was because we have some heightened expectations on offense this season because of the upgrade in WR quality but not seeing the results on the field either in joint practice or preseason games.

Add to that there is always this cloud of failures hanging over Patricia and judge heads that we are not willing to give them the benefit of doubt that they can do anything meaningful.

I just hope in the quest for experimentation we don't stunt mac's growth and confidence this year and turn him into a JAG.

Thanks RW. I have started following the preseason the last few years and the concern was because we have some heightened expectations on offense this season because of the upgrade in WR quality but not seeing the results on the field either in joint practice or preseason games.

Add to that there is always this cloud of failures hanging over Patricia and judge heads that we are not willing to give them the benefit of doubt that they can do anything meaningful.

I just hope in the quest for experimentation we don't stunt mac's growth and confidence this year and turn him into a JAG.
Believe me...i'm concerned as well.

I understand the strategic/tactical benefits BB hopes to realize from the changes but it'll require patience and time.

Last edited:
I mean, we're going through a scheme change. Isn't it likelier that this is relate to the scheme change?

As for Popovich, the team dominated the Bills a few games after he left. And then had trouble with better teams late in the year.

The OL Looked great against the Jags. Then like crap against playoff teams.

People are really reading into this too much.

Our Super Bowl caliber OL of 2014-2016 struggled mightily when we switched to zone for a year in 2015.

It's scheme that's the problem. Are these guys equipped athletically for this scheme?
We aren’t going through a scheme change.
This is the most overblown and incorrect dialogue in the history of this board.
Just rewatched the first team offense. They ran the plays we have always run. It’s the same offense. The coaching staff thinks it can be successful more often with zone block run plays and they may be right, the run in the red zone by Stephenson was blocked very well, a couple of inside runs looked like a zone scheme. I saw one stretch play that sucked and would have been audibles out of in the regular season and another where they had Ty Montgomery at RB and instead of making a decision and cut he just ran to the sideline. Weve run zone block runs for as long as bb has been here.

It’s funny how you guys used to trash McDaniels them he leaves and he is a genius.
I am fine with the coaching staff. It’s still the best in the NFL.
McDaniels took over play calling after 1 season with Belichick. Patricia has been with him for a decade.
Never once trashed McDaniels, but nice try at deflection.

These guys aren’t robots, they’re not all the same. Because Patricia has been with Belichick a long time before taking over offensive play calling duties doesn’t mean he’s going to be as good an offensive coach as McDaniels is.

Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Wynn.
Agree, the talent it there, that poster is just trolling. They need to communicate better and have Wynn stay healthy and Strange get a little more experience.

Believe me...i'm concerned as well.

I understand the strategic/tactical benefits BB hopes to realize from the changes but it'll require patience and time.

Yep. And with uncharacteristic lack of depth this yr also health. Hard to build anything on absent starters.

Never once trashed McDaniels, but nice try at deflection.

These guys aren’t robots, they’re not all the same. Because Patricia has been with Belichick a long time before taking over offensive play calling duties doesn’t mean he’s going to be as good an offensive coach as McDaniels is.
Come on now, the game day threads are searchable.

Yes McDaniels is a good coach, that’s says nothing about whether the guy who follows him is. And he IS a good coach too.
BB runs the show, this is a team where the offense is handed to the coordinator and the HC doesn’t pay attention, quite the opposite actually. Everything McD learned, BB taught him, and everything he did was in conjunction with and under the supervision of BB.

Come on now, the game day threads are searchable.

Yes McDaniels is a good coach, that’s says nothing about whether the guy who follows him is. And he IS a good coach too.
BB runs the show, this is a team where the offense is handed to the coordinator and the HC doesn’t pay attention, quite the opposite actually. Everything McD learned, BB taught him, and everything he did was in conjunction with and under the supervision of BB.
BS

Go search the game day threads if you like, but don’t spout nonsense.

Yes, BB is the head coach and has final say, just like every other head coach. It’s been pretty well documented though that he was pretty hands off with McDaniels once he became established.

But go ahead, find something to continue your argument, as you always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST