PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official (not rumors) 2013 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't going to hear about anyone the Patriots are close to getting. Go look at the list of corners and find out what guys are not being talked about. Those are the guys that are talking to the Patriots and may be close to being signed.

My cursory glance comes with these names that all we hear are crickets

1) Aqib Talib
2) Sean Smith
3) Grimes
4) Winfield

my guess is that we end up with 1-2 on that list.

You aren't going to hear about anyone the Patriots are close to getting. Go look at the list of corners and find out what guys are not being talked about. Those are the guys that are talking to the Patriots and may be close to being signed.

My cursory glance comes with these names that all we hear are crickets

1) Aqib Talib
2) Sean Smith
3) Grimes
4) Winfield

my guess is that we end up with 1-2 on that list.

Add Aso to that list

Winfield will be 36 in a couple/few months. Some people are making fun of guys like Woodson and Reed calling them dinosaurs etc and they're younger and safeties!

36 yrs old for a CB seems a bit extreme, although I'd love the signing as long as he was low on the depth chart for cheap money. Otherwise, no thanks.

yeah i did confuse it...would still like to know what his cap hit is but probally isn't out yet

Well, you can sort of figure it out. He is getting a $6 million signing bonus, which means 1.2m of cap hit thus year for bonus. All that's left to know is 2013 salary. With a $6 million signing bonus, it ain't gonna be much. $3 million cap hit is a good guess. The $31 million is silly. This is gong to be, for all practical purposes, something like a 2/11 or 3/14 deal, with 2.4m dead money if he has to be cut in three years.

I haven't heard a word on Kenny Phillips yet; have I missed something or wasn't he mentioned at all during all the safety-rumors around Woodson & Reed?

I haven't heard a word on Kenny Phillips yet; have I missed something or wasn't he mentioned at all during all the safety-rumors around Woodson & Reed?

If he knee checks out, Phillips could be the best safety on the market. Me want. Resign Talib, sign Phillips, convince Winfield (slot) and Wilson (safety/LB hybrid) to sign team friendly contracts for a shot at a SB ring, break Dennard out of jail. Giddy up!

The "crickets theory" is a sound one. Among the current cricket list that interest me:

Phillips
Wilson
Smith
Bennett
Freeney
Nelson
Talib
Vollmer
Edelman

From the Texans' Twitter account:

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Wheels up! GM Rick Smith is on his way to pick up free agent S Ed Reed in #Texans chairman & CEO Bob McNair's private jet

Winfield will be 36 in a couple/few months. Some people are making fun of guys like Woodson and Reed calling them dinosaurs etc and they're younger and safeties!

36 yrs old for a CB seems a bit extreme, although I'd love the signing as long as he was low on the depth chart for cheap money. Otherwise, no thanks.

O T I S Smith!!!!

From the Texans' Twitter account:

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Wheels up! GM Rick Smith is on his way to pick up free agent S Ed Reed in #Texans chairman & CEO Bob McNair's private jet

That's sucks. Pats need to get crackin on DB's.

James Christensen ‏@NEPatriotsDraft
RT @ByTimGraham: Source tells me former Bills WR Donald Jones is visiting the Patriots today.

Philly reported to be out of the running for free agent Sean Smith, posted on rotoworld.

You can add SF to that list.

Per Schefter: Jeremy Trueblood signs with the Redskins

Matt Cassel released by the Chiefs

Going to say reed is a texan by and of day

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
CB Sean Smith has agreed to terms with the Chiefs.

That sucks, hoping he'd be someone we got.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
CB Sean Smith has agreed to terms with the Chiefs.

3 year deal but haven't seen $$ yet. I hope it's ~7m or less, Smith was probably going to be the highest paid CB this year, maybe Talib. This deal will be the CB market tone setter and we'll pretty quickly see the rest fall into place now. Probably all gone by the end of tomorrow.

Lets just hope we can snag at least one, hopefully two.

A great big "meh" on the Smith signing.

A great big "meh" on the Smith signing.

It's going to be Thomas/Decker/Welker v. Flowers/Smith/Robinson

Denver wins that by a landslide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes