PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Well put, excellent post! I had came around on Bryant I respect that he got better, and worked hard. However as you perfectly put it, he's undersized and it was hard to watch him giving up continued completions to guys when he was targeted. Wilson, Austin, Bolden absolutely have a place on this team. I believe for the 2nd CB opposite Gonzo is up for grabs. This projects to bring out the best of the competition.

I believe J. Jones is going to play the slot or be moved to FS.. just my opinion. Marcus absolutely figures into the picture as well. We need him badly on special teams his speed is just so elite. I'm happy that Mayo is going away from the dwarf CBs on the outside.. the Alphonso dennards, Kyle Arringtons, Ellis hobbs..

6ft CBs are what you want on the outside to challenge guys.

Part of me is wondering if Isaiah Bolden is going to be used at FS or at FB or in the mold of Bryant and be at both... Bolden did not look out of place last year at either position.

I know the Pats brought in Hawkins on a 1 year deal. It will be interesting to see if they draft someone else or go with what they have.

They have Peppers, Dugger, Hawkins, Bledsoe, and Bolden. They could, in theory, have Mapu there as well. I have him listed at LB, but we'll have to see what happens with him.

I'd like to see Blackmon or Simmons be brought in.

Well put, excellent post! I had came around on Bryant I respect that he got better, and worked hard. However as you perfectly put it, he's undersized and it was hard to watch him giving up continued completions to guys when he was targeted. Wilson, Austin, Bolden absolutely have a place on this team. I believe for the 2nd CB opposite Gonzo is up for grabs. This projects to bring out the best of the competition.

I believe J. Jones is going to play the slot or be moved to FS.. just my opinion. Marcus absolutely figures into the picture as well. We need him badly on special teams his speed is just so elite. I'm happy that Mayo is going away from the dwarf CBs on the outside.. the Alphonso dennards, Kyle Arringtons, Ellis hobbs..

6ft CBs are what you want on the outside to challenge guys.
Some of the all time greats have been 5'10 or 5'11.

Part of me is wondering if Isaiah Bolden is going to be used at FS or at FB or in the mold of Bryant and be at both... Bolden did not look out of place last year at either position.

I know the Pats brought in Hawkins on a 1 year deal. It will be interesting to see if they draft someone else or go with what they have.

They have Peppers, Dugger, Hawkins, Bledsoe, and Bolden. They could, in theory, have Mapu there as well. I have him listed at LB, but we'll have to see what happens with him.

I read somewhere within the past 24 hours that Mapu will start out at safety again (Mayo quote, I believe). Hopefully, not in the deep safety role. He needs to play closer to the line of scrimmage than he was asked to play last year.

EDIT: Here is the quote…

On what position we should expect to see from Marte Mapu:

“Marte Mapu, he’s one of those guys that we talk about versatility. He’s one of those guys, that he can play big star. He can play safety, and he can also can play linebacker. Now, he’ll start in the safety room, and we’ll work our way down from there.”

It seems noticeable that the Packers rarely draft short cornerbacks. I wonder if this will be one shift that we will see in terms of drafting defensive backs. Under Wolfe.
This type of thing scares the crap out of me:

If it's something Mayo wants then that's one thing. But if Wolfe comes in with certain specifications that he wants and it runs contradictory to something that the coaches want/have run for years that's been successful then that to me is a big concern.

Maybe Mayo wants something a little different out of his secondary so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but if he is trying to replicate what he did with BB and Wolfe just wants to stick to his own old ways then IMO that's where the coach should win his way.

I read somewhere within the past 24 hours that Mapu will start out at safety again (Mayo quote, I believe). Hopefully, not in the deep safety role. He needs to play closer to the line of scrimmage than he was asked to play last year.

There were a few times that when he was asked to play in coverage, starting at the line, there was an issue. Either between him or another DB. He's got the speed to play back there, but was used to being a "ROAMER" where he was asked to recognize a play or a receiver and play accordingly. Which is different than what he was asked to do last year. I honestly believe he was thinking too much instead of properly reading/reacting with his football instincts..

His development along with Marcus Jones, Isaiah Bolden, Alex Austin and Marco Wilson will really shape how the Secondary does.

I didn't catch Mayo's interview. Any insight on the base defense? The 2-2-2-5 that BB was running? Or more traditional?

There were a few times that when he was asked to play in coverage, starting at the line, there was an issue. Either between him or another DB. He's got the speed to play back there, but was used to being a "ROAMER" where he was asked to recognize a play or a receiver and play accordingly. Which is different than what he was asked to do last year. I honestly believe he was thinking too much instead of properly reading/reacting with his football instincts..

His development along with Marcus Jones, Isaiah Bolden, Alex Austin and Marco Wilson will really shape how the Secondary does.

I didn't catch Mayo's interview. Any insight on the base defense? The 2-2-2-5 that BB was running? Or more traditional?
Covington said a more attacking the QB defense.
Have the guys act more than think.
Talked about playing aggressive and fast and really getting after it.

Maybe only of interest to me.
Of the 9 FAs the Pats have signed, 2 won't count in the compensation formula right off the bat (Okorafor and Hawkins). Of the 7, Everett, Watts, and Hooper may not make enough to qualify.

The Pats have lost 6 FAs. Of those. It's likely that only Trent Brown and Mack Wilson will be in the eligible group.

Which you can’t be anymore.
Exactly, when Bill was infatuated with the dwarf CBs he relied on them to have speed and be physical.. with rules changes you need big CBs on the outside to match up.

I have to admit I underestimated the ability of unproven guys early on last season.. things were so bad for Wade at one point his father called into WEEI pleading for the fans and the team to allow his son time to come into his own as a player. Bryant has absolutely gotten better not sure why he isn't resigned. Bolden and Austin, Wilson, are all guys with potential especially Austin.

Did this really happen?!?

Covington said a more attacking the QB defense.
Have the guys act more than think.
Talked about playing aggressive and fast and really getting after it.
That sounds great as a soundbite, but do either Mayo or Covington have the ability to game plan anywhere near the level that Belichick did.

That sounds great as a soundbite, but do either Mayo or Covington have the ability to game plan anywhere near the level that Belichick did.
Mayo was part of the game planning.. BB himself credited mayo countless times over the seasons with game plans. Of course Bill oversaw it. As Curran reported mayo ran the meetings, set up game plans along with SB.

You mean like the Brady years BB and not the one currently on his couch?? Asking for a friend.

Isaiah Bolden looked pretty good @ CB before his injury he was having a great Rookie Camp. :cool:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back