PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I agree that J Jones can play safety. He can play anywhere in the secondary, but he is not an ideal starting free safety. J Jones is listed at 5'9" on patriots.com which is generous.

We would greatly benefit from a top, or even above average, starting full-time free safety. We never replaced DMac after he left. I don't think Duggar or Peppers are great free safeties either, even though they have played there.
Agreed, the devoid of a FS last season was just head scratching.. I can see marpu as a possibility, but he's normally up near the LOS.. so Hawkins I'm interested to see what he can be at the position.. however I'd like a proven vet at FS Keanu Neal for example is my choice.

Dugger and pepper are enforcers.. we typically play 3 safety looks in the regular D.. I like j. Jones at CB but with his age and injury, I'm curious to see if he plays the slot if Austin takes hold of the RCB job in camp opposite Gonzo.

I can only imagine the outcry here if the Pats had traded their early 3rd-round pick for a defensive player they then had to sign to a long-term deal.

I can only imagine the outrage here if the Pats used #66 on a corner in the draft.

The “ outrage” will be there no matter what they do. There’s a contingent of sports radio listeners who are always “ outraged,” it’s not all of them, but a large group who just live to be “ outraged.” They are “ outraged” if they pay the Corner, and they are “ outraged” if they don’t pay the corner.

I agree that J Jones can play safety. He can play anywhere in the secondary, but he is not an ideal starting free safety. J Jones is listed at 5'9" on patriots.com which is generous.

We would greatly benefit from a top, or even above average, starting full-time free safety. We never replaced DMac after he left. I don't think Duggar or Peppers are great free safeties either, even though they have played there.

I think they consider Duggar to be their starting free safety, and Peppers their starting strong safety. But they also play with 3 safeties a lot, and I’m guessing they move Duggars up and need a safety to be the deep safety in those sets.

Agreed, the devoid of a FS last season was just head scratching.. I can see marpu as a possibility, but he's normally up near the LOS.. so Hawkins I'm interested to see what he can be at the position.. however I'd like a proven vet at FS Keanu Neal for example is my choice.

Dugger and pepper are enforcers.. we typically play 3 safety looks in the regular D.. I like j. Jones at CB but with his age and injury, I'm curious to see if he plays the slot if Austin takes hold of the RCB job in camp opposite Gonzo.

Forgot about Marpu. If he’s in I would think they keep Duggars deep and play Marpu and Peppers closer to the LOS.

Forgot about Marpu. If he’s in I would think they keep Duggars deep and play Marpu and Peppers closer to the LOS.
And if any one of those three are out, at this point, I'd expect Hawkins deep, the other two up closer.

Austin or Wilson. Maybe JC Jackson gets his head straight?

I think they consider Duggar to be their starting free safety, and Peppers their starting strong safety. But they also play with 3 safeties a lot, and I’m guessing they move Duggars up and need a safety to be the deep safety in those sets.

You could be right. I don't think Duggar has the instincts to play a single high safety look. Seen him misjudge really fast guys too much. McCourty rarely misjudged.

You could be right. I don't think Duggar has the instincts to play a single high safety look. Seen him misjudge really fast guys too much. McCourty rarely misjudged.

I agree, but it seems like they are fine with who they have there, because there are really good safeties available and they don’t seem to be looking there,

Their OL was in shambles last year and they're beefing it up for Rodgers. Smith will be a cornerstone, Moses and Simpson could help as well. Tyrod Taylor is an upgrade over Punky. Otherwise agree about Kinlaw, Oliver and Williams; I don't know anything about Fotu. The main thing is they're addressing a big area of need -- OL -- that the Patriots have as well and we're still waiting for significant help.
The JETES are in trouble if they’re planning on “Mr. IR” Smith to be their cornerstone on a one year contract. He’s as brittle as they come.

Maybe AR can make it to play #6 this season :p

We’re gonna have to develop our next LT. It should be one of our priorities in the first two rounds of this year’s draft.

Yeah, the closer to the LOS, the better Duggar is. He’s not strictly an “in the box” SS, but you don’t really want him covering guys deep. That’s not his strength.

Yeah, the closer to the LOS, the better Duggar is. He’s not strictly an “in the box” SS, but you don’t really want him covering guys deep. That’s not his strength.
Agreed, McCourty also had the speed of a CB his former position to be able to judge guys and time tackles and INTS.. Dugger is great up around the line I'd say 8, 10 yards deep.. when he gets further than that isn't a strength in his game..

Alex Austin did look good at times and was only a rookie. He is 6'1" and will be 200+lbs. in 2024, so he is not a smurf. A little slow, but has good instincts. Might be serviceable as CB3, maybe CB2 in 2025.

Let's hope and pray he sticks. Can not stand Myles Bryant. Dude kills me.

Sign Gilmore to play CB2. He is great in zone too. We are bargain basement shopping team, and Gilmore will be cheap.
Fingers crossed on Austin. He looked the part last season, albeit a small sample size.

You gotta admit that Bryant was much improved last season. He wasn’t a liability and actually made plays. He’s got a little physicality to him too. I don’t want him as our CB2, but he’s fine as a nickel or dime back as long as he builds on last season.

I’d really like to see Austin and Bolden develop into something. Ditto for Marcus Jones…

Agreed, McCourty also had the speed of a CB his former position to be able to judge guys and time tackles and INTS.. Dugger is great up around the line I'd say 8, 10 yards deep.. when he gets further than that isn't a strength in his game..
Agreed…he’s very good mid range to the LOS. Any deeper than that or if he has to turn his back, that’s when problems have happened in the past. The good thing is that those deep coverage skills can be improved so hopefully he’s worked on that during the off season. Duggar is an important part of our D.

Agreed…he’s very good mid range to the LOS. Any deeper than that or if he has to turn his back, that’s when problems have happened in the past. The good thing is that those deep coverage skills can be improved so hopefully he’s worked on that during the off season. Duggar is an important part of our D.
Yes, I agree. He and peppers are the enforcers in the secondary.. I hope mayo and DC look at identifying who they want playing FS.. becuase that will allow peppers to be even more aggressive with Dugger on stunts and safety blitz. The options are endless once we get the FS position solidified. I'm happy Dugger is here along with peppers.. we typically play 2 inside LBs so having the FS and 2 SS's more around the LOS and handling assignments, helping setting the edge.

Fingers crossed on Austin. He looked the part last season, albeit a small sample size.

You gotta admit that Bryant was much improved last season. He wasn’t a liability and actually made plays. He’s got a little physicality to him too. I don’t want him as our CB2, but he’s fine as a nickel or dime back as long as he builds on last season.

I’d really like to see Austin and Bolden develop into something. Ditto for Marcus Jones…
I have to admit I underestimated the ability of unproven guys early on last season.. things were so bad for Wade at one point his father called into WEEI pleading for the fans and the team to allow his son time to come into his own as a player. Bryant has absolutely gotten better not sure why he isn't resigned. Bolden and Austin, Wilson, are all guys with potential especially Austin.

1711406793435.gif

He probably was treated unfairly by the fans, because he is a versatile, tough DB who is an effective CB3/4 in zone schemes. He is good enough to be on most teams’ 53 BUT….

It was time to move on. On a team that will likely continue to primarily run a man scheme, his lack of both size and speed made him a real liability against guys with elite speed or size or both. When he was asked to play a CB2 role due to injuries, it was painful to watch him get picked on by opposing OCs. Every third play seemed to give us a great view of the back of his shirt, and he attempted to chase down a receiver after giving up an easy completion or trying in vain to break up a jump ball against a 6’2”+ WR.

Give his offseason and training camp reps to Marco Wilson, Austin or Bolden, all three of whom are 6’0”+ with superior athleticism. Let’s hope that Marcus Jones plays an even bigger role than Bryant did but at the very least he could step into Bryant’s role but give them elite speed.

It seems noticeable that the Packers rarely draft short cornerbacks. I wonder if this will be one shift that we will see in terms of drafting defensive backs. Under Wolfe.

I love J Jones but he is a smurf, McCourty was tall and fast. No comparison at FS. PatsFans loves to talk about Strange at LT and J Jones at FS. No idea why.
People on here talk about Strange at LT because of a few things:
1) He played there several games in College.
2) He worked out at LT and C during the Senior Bowl.
3) He's the similar height/weight/arm length with better over-all athleticism than Light.

1711408049723.png

View attachment 57237

He probably was treated unfairly by the fans, because he is a versatile, tough DB who is an effective CB3/4 in zone schemes. He is good enough to be on most teams’ 53 BUT….

It was time to move on. On a team that will likely continue to primarily run a man scheme, his lack of both size and speed made him a real liability against guys with elite speed or size or both. When he was asked to play a CB2 role due to injuries, it was painful to watch him get picked on by opposing OCs. Every third play seemed to give us a great view of the back of his shirt, and he attempted to chase down a receiver after giving up an easy completion or trying in vain to break up a jump ball against a 6’2”+ WR.

Give his offseason and training camp reps to Marco Wilson, Austin or Bolden, all three of whom are 6’0”+ with superior athleticism. Let’s hope that Marcus Jones plays an even bigger role than Bryant did but at the very least he could step into Bryant’s role but give them elite speed.

It seems noticeable that the Packers rarely draft short cornerbacks. I wonder if this will be one shift that we will see in terms of drafting defensive backs. Under Wolfe.
Well put, excellent post! I had came around on Bryant I respect that he got better, and worked hard. However as you perfectly put it, he's undersized and it was hard to watch him giving up continued completions to guys when he was targeted. Wilson, Austin, Bolden absolutely have a place on this team. I believe for the 2nd CB opposite Gonzo is up for grabs. This projects to bring out the best of the competition.

I believe J. Jones is going to play the slot or be moved to FS.. just my opinion. Marcus absolutely figures into the picture as well. We need him badly on special teams his speed is just so elite. I'm happy that Mayo is going away from the dwarf CBs on the outside.. the Alphonso dennards, Kyle Arringtons, Ellis hobbs..

6ft CBs are what you want on the outside to challenge guys.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back