PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Jets (16) vs Giants (31) preseason game thread. (merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official Jets (16) vs Giants(31) preseason game thread. (merged X2)

They'll win it all if Cruz starts! :cool:

Cruz and Sorgi, maybe...LOL

Eli is such a putz...I remember coming out of college they were touting him as the better of the two Mannings... He lucked into the only ring he'll ever own.

I read somewhere that the Jets passed the ball more than they ran it which is weird, so I'm not saying that LT was a glaring success. What I am saying is that when he had the ball, he didnt look like a player that was finished. He looked pretty sharp. Now, I'm still curious how he'll look after 8,9,10 games etc.

At the end of the night, the Jets looked better than the Giants, except when Cruz had the ball :)

Once teams realize Sanchise still can't throw consistently to his left things will get interesting...

The Jets 1's EASILY beat the Gianst 1's....and honestly, besides the no injury thing, that is all that matters in pre-season. Are your 1's ready. They look ready- except for Damien Woody - who looked like doo-doo really. The defense is the same pressure d...the d-backs looks good. The run game looks good and Sanchez looks okay. The Giants looked awful. (again, I am talking first unit)

All that said, the Jets have one vulnerability - and most teams do - the middle of the defense. If you can get a scat back (Faulk) or a shifty slot receiver (Edelman, Welker) in the open - one of them will get at least 100 yards in receptions....ooops, they did that last year too ;)

The score was 10-10 when the Giants starters came out. It might have been 14-10 or 14-14 if Jacobs didn't run into Manning on third and one in the red zone. Without that mistake which had nothing to do with the Jets, the Giants might have been winning the game when they pulled the starters.

I didn't think the Giants starters played all that well, but you are overstating how the Jets starters did with them.

I think the LT naysayers can shut their pie holes for now, and Cromartie looks like a great pick up. Wilson did a good job at CB but he wasn't tested a lot so my jury is still out on that. And the Terminator looked like a guy on his way to taking FB Tony Richardson's job next season which is bitter sweet because I like T-Rich.

How does 8 carries for 17 yards help LT's case? He did have a nice carry that was called back for a hold, but the hold was why it looked so nice in the first place. He is washed up, and it showed. Cromartie did look good though. Didn't notice Wilson, but Conner was laying people out- looks to me like he's already a good FB.

Based on how the 1s performed, I don't have much faith in your offense--you'll go as far as Shonn Greene can carry you, and I'm not sold on that being very far when your QB can only be effective rolling out to his right--but the defense looked dominant. It's hard to judge the effect of Revis being out when the Giants weren't playing Smith, and don't have any elite receivers to begin with, but that's beyond the Jets' control. They can only play the team that's on field, and they imposed themselves on the Giants' offense.

Last edited:

LT should not be a big factor...Greene is their workhorse. If/when Greene gets dinged, Jets will become one dimensional.

They're already one-dimensional. If Greene gets hut, they become no-dimensional, so they'd better that that doesn't happen.

The score was 10-10 when the Giants starters came out. It might have been 14-10 or 14-14 if Jacobs didn't run into Manning on third and one in the red zone. Without that mistake which had nothing to do with the Jets, the Giants might have been winning the game when they pulled the starters.

I didn't think the Giants starters played all that well, but you are overstating how the Jets starters did with them.

Seven Giants points came from a bad Sanchez decision....which made me feel warm and fuzzy. I'm hoping for a lot of that once he faces teams that are actually game planning against him.

Seven Giants points came from a bad Sanchez decision....which made me feel warm and fuzzy. I'm hoping for a lot of that once he faces teams that are actually game planning against him.

Even if you factor that Sanchez screw up, without the Jacobs screw up where he ran into Eli the score could have been 10-7 Jets when the Jets starters came out. Still not a domination especially since the Giants had six starters out of the game.

A fun thread, but it's pre-season. Some over-reaction in here.

Aw, c'mon ref! ;)

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Leon not on the Jets = good for Pats :singing:

LT should not be a big factor...Greene is their workhorse. If/when Greene gets dinged, Jets will become one dimensional.

When LT is in, he will more than likely be the emergency outlet or swing pass ala Faulk.. I don't see them using him as only a RB very effectively.

If Revis sits out the season, Jets will have trouble going over .500.....

If Mankins rethinks his position and Pats come to an agreement with him, Pats will be that much better on offense....if not, Pats will be ok...but maybe not as solid..(A new face could also emerge as a decent LG)...

Pats depth looks to be better overall than last year....

JMHO
\

Have you forgotten that WITH Revis, and surprise Blitzes, they weren't over .500, without the Colts and Bengals conceding their games, as both rested regulars for the Playoffs.

That was before they shot themselves in the foot, while canning Faneca, dumping Thomas Jones, and discarding Leon Washington.

Drafting wastes such as McKnight and giving a starting position to Vlad Ducasse, who is clearly proven to be unready for the NFL hurts. Watching Woody go Over-the-Hill doesn't help either.

Picking up problems like Cromartie and Holmes on that volatile club is asking for it, IMHO.

Cruz and Sorgi, maybe...LOL

Eli is such a putz...I remember coming out of college they were touting him as the better of the two Mannings... He lucked into the only ring he'll ever own.

As a Pat's fan, too much happened in that last drive to be called luck. He was lucky the Pats defenders had butter fingers, he was lucky there was no holding called on the miracle play, he was lucky the catch was made. It was all fate, no luck.

As a Pat's fan, too much happened in that last drive to be called luck. He was lucky the Pats defenders had butter fingers, he was lucky there was no holding called on the miracle play, he was lucky the catch was made. It was all fate, no luck.

"Fate" suggests something predestined, which I disagree with. That drive was a once-in-a-million perfect storm, a series of bad-luck incidents falling into place for disaster to happen. Play those last couple minutes 100 more times and the Pats would win out each and every time. The Giants just happened to roll snake eyes.

Cmon, I know one preseason game means very little to nothing, but is fun to debate these games.

"Fate" suggests something predestined, which I disagree with. That drive was a once-in-a-million perfect storm, a series of bad-luck incidents falling into place for disaster to happen. Play those last couple minutes 100 more times and the Pats would win out each and every time. The Giants just happened to roll snake eyes.

I've said the same thing before.

Even if you factor that Sanchez screw up, without the Jacobs screw up where he ran into Eli the score could have been 10-7 Jets when the Jets starters came out. Still not a domination especially since the Giants had six starters out of the game.

Ever hear of the eye test? What my eyes told me is that the Jets 1's were far suoerior to the Giants 1's. Take that for what it is. Nothing, really, because it's the pre-season. But c'mon now. The Jets outplayed 'em.

Ever hear of the eye test? What my eyes told me is that the Jets 1's were far suoerior to the Giants 1's. Take that for what it is. Nothing, really, because it's the pre-season. But c'mon now. The Jets outplayed 'em.

I said the Jets outplayed them, but not far superior. I wasn't that impressed with the Jets' offense. Their defense is always very good. Althought I thought they were a bit too overly agressive at times.

Last edited:
Without Revis....Jet's blitz will get their DB's burnt badly by a decent QB....

My five thoughts on the game.

1) I thought the Jets looked pretty good and outplayed the Giants when both first teams were in the game.

2) My dream that Sanchez would throw 3 picks in the 1st Quarter and then throw up all over Rex on the sidelines was not realized. He looked at least OK and even good.

3) I know he was playing against the Giants 2nd/3rd string and we won't face him in September, but Santonio Holmes looked like Santonio Holmes. That's not good.

4) I'm really not all that happy about Tommy facing the Jets' pass rush without Mankins and Kaczur on the O line.

5) If I were a Giants fan, I would be concerned, not "worried," but concerned.

Last edited:
The Jets looked better than the Giants in this game, although the Giants looked quite sloppy. Eli was struggling to complete any passes. Some of it was the blitz, yes, but a lot of it was just poor throws by Eli.

The Jets defensive front looks nasty, but my god they have absolutely no depth. And the other thing that I noticed is that even when the Giants pulled their first string, the Jets were unable to really make any type of lead. Their offense still looks pretty out of shape, and I don't care about that blown coverage by the Giants, Sanchez is still making some terrible decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft