PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Jets (16) vs Giants (31) preseason game thread. (merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official Jets (16) vs Giants(31) preseason game thread. (merged X2)

NY is big enough for two teams...The Yankees and the Giants.

When I was in NYC for a Pats game, you could definitely tell the Giants owned that place.

who said the Jets didnt act like that?
to your points:
* This was Monday night/nationally televised, the Pats-Saints game was not. I doubt many Jersey fans saw the Pats game
ESPN choose to air this game on monday night and to celebrate the opening of a new stadium for both teams,got nothing to do with the Jets

* Even for a preseason game it was much hyped as "the battle of New York."
by who?the media?,there was never a rivalry between the Jets and the Giants and there is no bad blood,NY is big enough for two teams.

* It was a showcase event for the Green Beans unveiling their "ring of honor."
the Jets choose to respect retired players(they never had there own stadium to do that),how is that got to do with the game that was played?

[/B]

I agree with you on your first point, this was a "New Stadium" thing. The NFL wants cities and teams to put up new venues and is highlighting those that do as a reward.

As for the "rivalry," I've lived in Manhattan for 20 years and the lack of a visible rivalry between the Giants and Jets has nothing to do with whether New York (or New Jersey) is "big enough" for both of them, but with the fact that the Jets haven't put up much of a fight.

It's a little bit like saying there's a rivalry between the Yankees and their Scranton AAA team; sure, when they play the last game of Spring Training every year, there's a "rivalry," but it ain't a "rivalry." The Giants have gone to four SB's and won three since 1986/87. The Jets have gone to and lost two CCG's in that time. The Giants have gone 213-169-1 over that period and the Jets 173-209-1. The Giants have brought the excitement of blood rivalries with the Eagles and Cowboys. For most of the last ten years, the Jets have basically been kicked around by the Patriots.

The Yankees and Giants rule sports in New York (with occasional intrusions by the Rangers and Knicks). The Jets are an afterthought. Clearly, that's what Woody and Rex are trying to change by going for broke with Free Agents and money this year. It's gonna be another long drought if they don't pull it off.

As for the Ring of Honor thing, Mo (above) has it right. Woody didn't want to be upstaged.

Last edited:

The Jets 1's EASILY beat the Gianst 1's....and honestly, besides the no injury thing, that is all that matters in pre-season. Are your 1's ready. They look ready- except for Damien Woody - who looked like doo-doo really. The defense is the same pressure d...the d-backs looks good. The run game looks good and Sanchez looks okay. The Giants looked awful. (again, I am talking first unit)

All that said, the Jets have one vulnerability - and most teams do - the middle of the defense. If you can get a scat back (Faulk) or a shifty slot receiver (Edelman, Welker) in the open - one of them will get at least 100 yards in receptions....ooops, they did that last year too ;)

Last edited:

who said the Jets didnt act like that?
to your points:
* This was Monday night/nationally televised, the Pats-Saints game was not. I doubt many Jersey fans saw the Pats game
ESPN choose to air this game on monday night and to celebrate the opening of a new stadium for both teams,got nothing to do with the Jets

Huh? I was responding to your "point" that 'Beans fans didn't discuss the Pats' first preseason game on their message boards BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO SEE IT. :ugh:

* Even for a preseason game it was much hyped as "the battle of New York."
by who?the media?,there was never a rivalry between the Jets and the Giants and there is no bad blood,NY is big enough for two teams.

OK, so we'll just ignore the pre-game trash talk between members of both teams. But you're right on one thing: New York has the Yankees and Giants. New Jersey has the Green Beans.

* It was a showcase event for the Green Beans unveiling their "ring of honor."
the Jets choose to respect retired players(they never had there own stadium to do that),how is that got to do with the game that was played?

It shows unprecedented emphasis placed on a preseason game by ownership. Woody was so paranoid about when the Giants might do their own ring-of-honor ceremony (see rivalry point above) that he chose to schedule his ceremony FIRST in a half-empty stadium. Don't you think that's a tad disrespectful to the men being honored?

* Wrecks played his starters much longer than is normally expected for a preseason opener, certainly much longer than the Giants.
that was a something he said before the game based on the date and time of the 2nd preseason game for the Jets(SAT at Carolina)where the starters will not play much.

That's hogwash. Wrecks was trying to WIN THE GAME by playing his regulars against the Giants' second/third teamers and you know it. The normal progression is using the first two games primarily to evaluate rookies/reserves with starters playing more each game culminating in the third game as regular-season "tune up."

* The Green Beans have been openly goading the Giants into "rivalry" trash talk, etc.
no,there was no trash talk or any kind of talk from the Jets about the game,the only ones who talked were Giants players, i think only Scott responed to something that was said by a Giants player.

Nice try, sport. We wouldn't even be discussing any of this if your owner/GM/coach/players/fans knew when to keep their yaps shut.

Last edited:

The Jets 1's EASILY beat the Gianst 1's....and honestly, besides the no injury thing, that is all that matters in pre-season. Are your 1's ready. They look ready- except for Damien Woody - who looked like doo-doo really. The defense is the same pressure d...the d-backs looks good. The run game looks good and Sanchez looks okay. The Giants looked awful. (again, I am talking first unit)

All that said, the Jets have one vulnerability - and most teams do - the middle of the defense. If you can get a scat back (Faulk) or a shifty slot receiver (Edelman, Welker) in the open - one of them will get at least 100 yards in receptions....ooops, they did that last year too ;)

That's pretty much my take on this as well. One of my concerns this year (which I outlined in another thread here before the game) was Sanchez and INT's. Man was I shaking my head early in the game. But I will give credit and say that unlike last season, he picked himself up, and played a pretty good game from there on. Another concern of mine has been tackling. I saw a bit of the mis tackle issue from last season. In the end, the starters were definitely better than the Giants, but our backups and depth smell of garbage. In TC last week Ryan mentioned how he was very disappointed in the 2's and 3's on defense and it definitely showed in the game. Also before I forget, I think Clemens was fairly solid which was surprising, but O'Connell was awful. I think the LT naysayers can shut their pie holes for now, and Cromartie looks like a great pick up. Wilson did a good job at CB but he wasn't tested a lot so my jury is still out on that. And the Terminator looked like a guy on his way to taking FB Tony Richardson's job next season which is bitter sweet because I like T-Rich.

Last edited:

That's pretty much my take on this as well. One of my concerns this year (which I outlined in another thread here before the game) was Sanchez and INT's. Man was I shaking my head early in the game. But I will give credit and say that unlike last season, he picked himself up, and played a pretty good game from there on. Another concern of mine has been tackling. I saw a bit of the mis tackle issue from last season. In the end, the starters were definitely better than the Giants, but our backups and depth smell of garbage. In TC last week Ryan mentioned how he was very disappointed in the 2's and 3's on defense and it definitely showed in the game. Also before I forget, I think Clemens was fairly solid which was surprising, but O'Connell was awful. I think the LT naysayers can shut their pie holes for now, and Cromartie looks like a great pick up. Wilson did a good job at CB but he wasn't tested a lot so my jury is still out on that. And the Terminator looked like a guy on his way to taking FB Tony Richardson's job next season which is bitter sweet because I like T-Rich.

looks like Sanchez is developing a good relationship with Braylon, but I didn't see many connections with Holmes. And they had him playing with the 2's... Anyway, Sanchez seems to be doing his job. Short passes, be accurate, and put the ball in the hands of Shonne Green. That rb looks way better than LT, who didn't look bad when he had space. But LT looks like he won't be breaking tackles much once defenders get their hands on him, not like Green anyhow. One item i watched was how they performed when they had a penalty, moving the sticks back a ways. It seemed that (when the Giants' 1's were in) they would end up punting and aren't quite there when they can make larger gains on offense at will (granted it's only 1 preseason game). That will be the next step in Sanchez's progression (and not an easily attainable one).

Last edited:

I think the LT naysayers can shut their pie holes for now

Was it the 8 carries for 17 yards (a 2.1 YPC clip) that should have us convinced?

I think we patsies will beat the jesties this year in both games, but they will be good, solid games. And I don't think the Jets "suck", not sure why anyone would say that.

It should be interesting too now that Revis is gone.

Originally Posted by tzaf75
* Wrecks played his starters much longer than is normally expected for a preseason opener, certainly much longer than the Giants.
that was a something he said before the game based on the date and time of the 2nd preseason game for the Jets(SAT at Carolina)where the starters will not play much.

That's hogwash. Wrecks was trying to WIN THE GAME by playing his regulars against the Giants' second/third teamers and you know it. The normal progression is using the first two games primarily to evaluate rookies/reserves with starters playing more each game culminating in the third game as regular-season "tune up."

But such thinking doesn't apply in the case of the Jets.

Why? Because they have virtually no rookies competing to make the team. So they have no rookies to evaluate. The few picks they have, good and mostly bad, are guaranteed to make the Jets who will have problems filling out the last 10-20 spots on their roster...

You can't trade up & away your drafts for half a decade, for one or two players each year, and then fail with at least two, top 8 picks Robertson and Gholston, and have a full team, without a bundle of total scrubs.

e.g. their replacement for dumped, talented, but injured, 3rd down back, Leon Washington, is a rookie fellow named Joe McKnight. Who, when he wasn't vomitting literally, was barfing on the field with an awesome 2 yard per carry average.

It appears Woody has eaten himself out of the league, but the very same scrub Slauson, is the only reserve available to play two starting positions on the awesome, simply astounding, and Best-Ever, Jester's [very !] offensive line. As Faneca is physically gone, Woody is virtually gone, and a small school tackle draftee is clearly not ready for the job handed to him without competition.

Simply Deeelicious! It couldn't happen to a more deserving, obnoxious group of blowhards...

Last edited:

Was it the 8 carries for 17 yards (a 2.1 YPC clip) that should have us convinced?

He had nice 13 yd td run taken back for a holding penalty that really had little influence on the play. Also his 14yd reception to set up the TD was nice and very clutch.

I am not an LT supporter in any way but I was pleasantly suprised to see him not suck entirely yesterday.;)

I would somewhat disagree Garbanza -

It was clear from the begining that the Jets were desperate to win the game. From the start Rex spared no one by coming with every kind of pressure blitz...in the first pre season game. I'm sure the Giants staff didn't spend the full week working on the Jets varied blitz packages like they would on a regular season game week. He kept his first team D and O on the field for the full first half, over a quarter longer than the Giants. Here's what I saw:

1. Any team that effectively blocks the Jets schemes (like the Pats did in game 2) will shred them.

2. Cromartie looks to be a decent cover corner, but against the run its like going 11 vs 10

3. The Jet have a lot of talent, but its clearly one deep. Any spate of injuries to the team will cripple them.

4. The Jets are no better off at LG than the Pats, and in fact at this point, the Pats might be slightly ahead.

5. Outside of Greene the Jets didn't have a single running back capable of rushing for more than 3 ypc. LT might be effective as a passing threat out of the backfield, but he's not Kevin Faulk when it comes to carrying the ball (2.1 ypc)

6. Victor Cruz might be the better pro than Vlad Ducasse.... ;) Go UMASS

7. Mark Sanchez, despite the pick (which will happen this season) showed good pocket presence and had a great "look off" on the LT pass. I think he'll be OK - But he'll still lose as many game for them as he wins. Still a work in Progress, but I think he will really come of age by next season.

Last edited:

It was clear from the begining that the Jets were desperate to win the game. From the start Rex spared no one by coming with every kind of pressure blitz...in the first pre season game. I'm sure the Giants staff didn't spend the full week working on the Jets varied blitz packages like they would on a regular season game week. He kept his first team D and O on the field for the full first half, over a quarter longer than the Giants. Here's what I saw:

1. Any team that effectively blocks the Jets schemes (like the Pats did in game 2) will shred them.

2. Cromartie looks to be a decent cover corner, but against the run its like going 11 vs 10

3. The Jet have a lot of talent, but its clearly one deep. Any spate of injuries to the team will cripple them.

4. The Jets are no better off at LG than the Pats, and in fact at this point, the Pats might be slightly ahead.

5. Outside of Greene the Jets didn't have a single running back capable of rushing for more than 3 ypc. LT might be effective as a passing threat out of the backfield, but he's not Kevin Faulk when it comes to carrying the ball (2.1 ypc)

7. Mark Sanchez, despite the pick (which will happen this season) showed good pocket presence and had a great "look off" on the LT pass. I think he'll be OK - But he'll still lose as many game for them as he wins. Still a work in Progress, but I think he will really come of age by next season.

Who cares. The Giants won and they deserve to be recognized as the winner of the first game in that stadium. As it stands, the Jets quest to become the number one football team in NY is still a quest. It's one they CAN accomplish, but it won't be at a preseason game that's for sure. It would take several seasons of ending with a better record for anything significant to happen. what a stupid arguement to be having (that goes for Jets and Patriots fans giving more than a moments thought on the subject).

I actually think Sanchez was night and day different from last year, he looks like a good NFL QB. I think he was 13 for 17, and made some good choices, and made very solid throws on his short to medium distance passes. He certainley has some good weapons, and if the O-Line holds up, they will definitely be more dangerous offensively this year. Our Pats will have to fight tooth and nail to win the division this year, should be quite a battle, and very exciting. I still think our Pats come up on top.

He had nice 13 yd td run taken back for a holding penalty that really had little influence on the play. Also his 14yd reception to set up the TD was nice and very clutch.

I am not an LT supporter in any way but I was pleasantly suprised to see him not suck entirely yesterday.;)

Even if you allow for the 13 yarder, it's still 9 for 30 at a 3.3 YPC clip.

Not all that impressive.

Even if you allow for the 13 yarder, it's still 9 for 30 at a 3.3 YPC clip.

Not all that impressive.

I read somewhere that the Jets passed the ball more than they ran it which is weird, so I'm not saying that LT was a glaring success. What I am saying is that when he had the ball, he didnt look like a player that was finished. He looked pretty sharp. Now, I'm still curious how he'll look after 8,9,10 games etc.

At the end of the night, the Jets looked better than the Giants, except when Cruz had the ball :)

Leon not on the Jets = good for Pats :singing:

LT should not be a big factor...Greene is their workhorse. If/when Greene gets dinged, Jets will become one dimensional.

When LT is in, he will more than likely be the emergency outlet or swing pass ala Faulk.. I don't see them using him as only a RB very effectively.

If Revis sits out the season, Jets will have trouble going over .500.....

If Mankins rethinks his position and Pats come to an agreement with him, Pats will be that much better on offense....if not, Pats will be ok...but maybe not as solid..(A new face could also emerge as a decent LG)...

Pats depth looks to be better overall than last year....

JMHO

Oh noes, the Jets are so dominant they only lost this game by 15 points! We're dooooooomed!!

Oh noes, the Jets are so dominant they only lost this game by 15 points! We're dooooooomed!!

DOOOMED! I tell you DOOOMED!

:eek:

Winning pre season games is the true mark of a champion. Giants are winning it all this year.

Winning pre season games is the true mark of a champion. Giants are winning it all this year.

They'll win it all if Cruz starts! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore