PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Draft Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree with this. If we go offense in the first 1. Doug Martin, 2, Stephen Hill, 3. Coby Fleener.

Love watching Doug Martin.

The more and more I watch of his film the more and more he reminds of Ray Rice. Kid can bounce to the outside like no one in this draft, no dancing,takes it up the middle full speed and can shake and shift on a dime. He is also a nice pass catcher out of the backfield. I know we got Ridley and Vereen but I think we could make a roster spot for this guy. Anyone know if the Pats scouted this guy without me having to go look?

The more and more I watch of his film the more and more he reminds of Ray Rice. Kid can bounce to the outside like no one in this draft, no dancing,takes it up the middle full speed and can shake and shift on a dime. He is also a nice pass catcher out of the backfield. I know we got Ridley and Vereen but I think we could make a roster spot for this guy. Anyone know if the Pats scouted this guy without me having to go look?

Yes we have; Wilson, Pead, some other late round prospects.

Had him in for a visit.

i love his speed through the hole and his ability to break a tackle.

While he's very impressive I don't know why you'd want to spend a pick on him when we could otherwise use it to beef up the D-line.

While he's very impressive I don't know why you'd want to spend a pick on him when we could otherwise use it to beef up the D-line.

What if he's better than any available D/Line player?

What if he's better than any available D/Line player?

What is the effect of beefing up the D-line?

What is the effect of not?

The D-line is old and Wilfork can't continue to carry the load like he has. Imagine the line without him.

Our RBs are solid, a good D-lineman like Reyes will have a lot more impact than a RB like Martin.

What is the effect of beefing up the D-line?

What is the effect of not?

The D-line is old and Wilfork can't continue to carry the load like he has. Imagine the line without him.

Our RBs are solid, a good D-lineman like Reyes will have a lot more impact than a RB like Martin.

I quite like Kendall Reyes but he's by no means a consensus first round pick - I've seen him as a late second or third round value on some big boards. Is he really better than kyle Love or Brandon Deaderick?

I don't think reaching to fill a need is the right way to approach a draft.

I quite like Kendall Reyes but he's by no means a consensus first round pick - I've seen him as a late second or third round value on some big boards. Is he really better than kyle Love or Brandon Deaderick?

It's not, and Martin is a much better player than Reyes.

But there's sure to be a player available that will make a bigger impact, and if there's not then you can trade it.

It's not, and Martin is a much better player than Reyes.

But there's sure to be a player available that will make a bigger impact, and if there's not then you can trade it.

Not convinced it will be so easy to trade this year. BB is a genius at it so he will probably still manage it but there are so many similarly regarded players in that range that a) a lot of teams will be considering trading down and b) teams will wait to see who drops. This year especially, teams will have to really like a player to want to move up. Otherwise, sit tight and take the value.

Anyway, I'd be perfectly happy with Doug Martin but then I like RB's.

NFL Draft Dish: Don't believe rumor that South Carolina's Melvin Ingram is sliding

Read more: NFL Draft Dish: Don't believe rumor that South Carolina's Melvin Ingram is sliding - NFL - Sporting News

*Rumor that because of arm length, Ingram is dropping. (never heard this before)
*Tennessee RB Poole will be the 1st tier 3 RB to be taken
*Zeitler and Gettis moving up draft boards
*Boise State DE Billy Winn is a future starter in the league

Saw one report (might have been Shalise Manza Young) that said that the Patriots really like Zeitler. Would surprise me, doesn't fit the OT>OG route the Pats like.

https://twitter.com/#!/MaioccoCSN/statuses/194481419936993281

Matt Maiocco of the CSN Bay Area mentions that he believes the San Francisco 49ers have Stanford TE Coby Fleener on the ”short list” of players they’re considering at #30 overall.

There’s been some talk for a few months now that Fleener could end up playing for his former college coach Jim Harbaugh, who would supposedly love to add another tight to their roster. The general consensus has been that they’ll most likely end up targeting a receiver or a guard at the end of the first, but this too is a possibility.

NFL.com news: NFL draft forecast: Chandler Jones up, Courtney Upshaw down

A bunch of notes here from Lombardi including:

4. I believe Syracuse DE Chandler Jones is a hot commodity right now. This is nothing new for NFL teams, who have rated him highly for quite some time, but it's a noticeable development in mock drafts, many of which initially had him pegged as a second-rounder. Most of the good defensive ends/pass rushers, including Jones, should come off the board sometime between pick No. 10 (Buffalo Bills) and pick No. 20 (Tennessee Titans). Jones is not a sudden riser -- he's been a very good player for years. Watch him play two seasons ago against Anthony Castonzo -- the Indianapolis Colts' first-round pick (No. 22 overall) in 2011 -- and it's easy to rate him as a top prospect.

This could potentially push another player down 1 more spot to us or a spot where we could go get a guy if we deem it necessary.

Not convinced it will be so easy to trade this year. BB is a genius at it so he will probably still manage it but there are so many similarly regarded players in that range that a) a lot of teams will be considering trading down and b) teams will wait to see who drops. This year especially, teams will have to really like a player to want to move up. Otherwise, sit tight and take the value.

Theres always a GM or coach that's on the hot seat.

NFL.com news: NFL draft forecast: Chandler Jones up, Courtney Upshaw down

A bunch of notes here from Lombardi including:

4. I believe Syracuse DE Chandler Jones is a hot commodity right now. This is nothing new for NFL teams, who have rated him highly for quite some time, but it's a noticeable development in mock drafts, many of which initially had him pegged as a second-rounder. Most of the good defensive ends/pass rushers, including Jones, should come off the board sometime between pick No. 10 (Buffalo Bills) and pick No. 20 (Tennessee Titans). Jones is not a sudden riser -- he's been a very good player for years. Watch him play two seasons ago against Anthony Castonzo -- the Indianapolis Colts' first-round pick (No. 22 overall) in 2011 -- and it's easy to rate him as a top prospect.

This could potentially push another player down 1 more spot to us or a spot where we could go get a guy if we deem it necessary.

While I agree that you make a good point that another player could be pushed down, it could also hurt us tremendously if our target was Chandler Jones!! :cool:

(as I think it may be)

Last edited:

I'm advocating drafting Reyes in the early 2nd, Martin has a chance to get into the late 1st, if anything drafting Martin would likely be a reach.

Wisconsin’s Zeitler has all the building blocks to play in NFL - The Boston Globe

Doesn't really say the Pats are interested, merely that he fits the mold of what the Patriots have liked at OG in the past.

That wasn't it.

On the other side of the ball, they’re said to really like Wisconsin offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler, which given his smarts and passion for the game, isn’t hard to believe.

New England Patriots 2012 NFL Draft preview - NFL - Sporting News

Todd McShay on Mike and Mike radio

Chandler Jones shooting up draft boards, could be first DE off the board going as high as 12 to Seatle:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News