PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Draft Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem for me is even if Hoyer and Mallett are gone when Brady's contract expires that still leaves Weeded as a 32 year old (he turns 29 during this season) as a first time starter.

I guess if they love Weeden you can make the argument that still gives them a 4-5 year windown with him after Brady moves on in three years. Still seems weird and would definitely start a firestorm here :)

It would. But if Brady retires when his contract ends, would you rather have a 32 year old Brandon Weeden on the roster having learned the system for three years or be in a position like the Dolphins or Redskins this year? It probably is a smokescreen, as the interest in Doug Martin and David Wilson possibly is. Or it just might be that BB doesn't like this defensive draft class in the late first/high second range. Personally I think it's the latter. My view is that BB has very few defensive players with first round grades. If the likes of McLellin, Harrison Smith, Chandler Jones, Kendall reyes were being graded as second rounders or worse in draftnik quarters following the end of the season, why are they suddenly being seen as first rounders now? I think their grades are being inflated myself to fit needs and it wouldn't surprise me if those players don't have a first round grade for the Pats. Then you can add in pretty much every potential OLB (never drafted in the first), maybe Devon Still, Hightower is a two down backer so again probably second round grade. All of a sudden, there's not a lot of first round defensive players. The logic then says trade out but you need a backup plan if the trades aren't there. And then the only option is best offensive players and I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Martin and maybe even Brandon Weeden have first round grades from the Pats when looking from the perspective of ability only.

sorry. That was a bit stream of consciousness. hope you can make out what I'm trying to say.

sorry. That was a bit stream of consciousness. hope you can make out what I'm trying to say.
Yeah, basically if the end of round one sucks and we can't trade out then we have to take someone. Personally I'd prefer someone at a non need position that isn't a QB; we'll see :)

re Brandon Weeden:

Just saw this on twitter referencing a comment by the respected Greg Cossell:

Interesting comment on Weeden from a recent chat with Greg Cosell: "He could easily run Tom Brady’s offense ... a lot of shorter throws."

Maybe there's some fire to the smoke.

Could this also be stemming from the "potential chiefs trade" 11 for 27, 62, and hoyer. Then the Pats take weeden at 31 to replace him? I still don't buy it. I'd rather take a flyer on one of the CBs then at that point.

Could this also be stemming from the "potential chiefs trade" 11 for 27, 62, and hoyer. Then the Pats take weeden at 31 to replace him? I still don't buy it. I'd rather take a flyer on one of the CBs then at that point.

What potential Chiefs trade?

Link?

What potential Chiefs trade?

Link?

I made up one involving Mallett to justify a Barron trade up which was then converted to Hoyer by Rookboston. i think he's referring to that.

I think the "potential Chiefs trade" was only suggested by another poster in another thread.

I really hope we don't draft a 28 year old QB to sit behind Brady for at least a couple years when we already have a developmental QB on the roster. That makes the least sense of any rumor I've read.

A first round QB ??????
First round picks are 3 down players......not four down sitters. Seriously.........you'd think PatsFans would know their coach by now

A first round QB ??????
First round picks are 3 down players......not four down sitters. Seriously.........you'd think PatsFans would know their coach by now

I don't think anyone on this thread truly believes the Pats will draft Weeden.

... Or it just might be that BB doesn't like this defensive draft class in the late first/high second range. Personally I think it's the latter..... I think their grades are being inflated myself to fit needs and it wouldn't surprise me if those players don't have a first round grade for the Pats....
This is pretty much what I think. I don't think the players at the back end of the 1st round project the qualities to have premier grades. Personally I like some of these players ... just too many question marks. Even some of the guys in the middle of the 1st round are baffling me (the armchair critic that I am).

Brockers, Chandler Jones, and Poe all have inflated stock because of their measurables. Others such as Still, Mercilus, Perry have a single season of stellar college production.
Coples and Worthy have supposedly inconsistent motors and Jenkins has character concerns. Others such as Barron are inflated due to lack of overall quality at the safety position. I have even read Stephen Gilmore in the top 10 but I just don't see it.
No wonder their agents are having to work overtime to sell their clients to GMs with rumours and smokescreens. Having said that, in terms of entertainment value this could be a very interesting draft with trades aplenty as teams jostle for value.

A first round QB ??????

Well, it wouldn't be the 1st unexpected QB selection in BB's career....
New+England+Patriots+Mini+Camp+Wflhy87dYgTl.jpg

If that scenario is true and BB really doesn't see any defensive player on the board with a 1st round grade and a trade down isn't a possibility......

.... Please take Doug Martin. I like Ridley alot, but Martin is a stud and will have a great career imo.

If that scenario is true and BB really doesn't see any defensive player on the board with a 1st round grade and a trade down isn't a possibility......

.... Please take Doug Martin. I like Ridley alot, but Martin is a stud and will have a great career imo.

Absolutely agree with this. If we go offense in the first 1. Doug Martin, 2, Stephen Hill, 3. Coby Fleener.

Love watching Doug Martin.

Absolutely agree with this. If we go offense in the first 1. Doug Martin, 2, Stephen Hill, 3. Coby Fleener.

Love watching Doug Martin.

If the unthinkable were to happen and we somehow end up with Martin, I'll be giving you a virtual Fist bump bro :eat2:

Pro Football Weekly Insider (April 23rd):

"(Alabama LB) Dont'a Hightower had a great individual workout for us. We would not take him. He’d play end or "Mike" linebacker for us, and he’s going to be long gone. He’s a top-15 pick. I wish his instincts were better. But anyone who worked him out had to come away very impressed. He can really move for a man his size. He has some ‘special’ traits."

"Look at the sack production of (Syracuse DE) Chandler Jones and tell me what there is to get excited about. He can’t beat blocks with burst. He’s a stack guy — not a sack guy. He’s not going to produce as a pass rusher, but if you’re looking for a good run defender, he can help you."

"(Virginia Tech’s Jayron) Hosley is not a bad player, but he has some of the same issues that DeAngelo Hall and Jimmy Williams had. He’s not very smart."

"(Montana’s) Trumaine Johnson might be better than (Morris) Claiborne — and I really like Claiborne’s cover talent. If (Johnson) had run (a 40-time of) 4.51 instead of the 4.6s that he ran at the Combine, he would go in the first (round). He’s 6-1, 210 and he’s really a good athlete. He has 10-20 (range) talent. He’s just a (jerk). He has entitlement issues. He’s not a great worker. … He’s inching up. He might go in the back of the first (round)."

"The more I watch (Notre Dame’s) Harrison (Smith) from Notre Dame, the more I do not think he is a slam dunk at all. I bought in initially, but he cannot catch. He has below-average hands. He can’t tackle in space. He’s just going to be a guy in the league."

"I know (Illinois’ Whitney) Mercilus is a good kid, but the first round is a little too pricey for me. I went back and watched him some more. Something is missing. He’s athletic and can bend, but I’m not sure how instinctive he is."

"No. 99 (Michigan State’s Jerel Worthy) is big, strong and fast. If you catch him in the right games, you’re thinking about him in the top 10-15. He has that kind of talent."

Last edited:
Pro Football Weekly Insider (April 22nd):

“(South Carolina CB Stephon) Gilmore is a second-round corner who is going to go a lot higher than he should because he has what everyone is looking for in the way of height-weight-speed and his character is clean.”

“If (Stanford OLT) Jonathan Martin goes in the top 20, it is a crime. He is (very soft). He should go in the third (round).”

“(Stanford OG David) DeCastro is overrated. On tape, he is a good guard, but he is not special by any means. You love the kid, you love the work ethic, you love the makeup. But in a normal draft, you’d like to get him in the second.”

“I think the issues (he has) should keep (Amini) Silatolu out of the first, but I know a lot of offensive line coaches that are really jacked about getting him in the first. It takes some balls to take him in the first, but he will be a very hot guy if he makes it into the second (round).”

“If the Vikings do not take (Matt Kalil), I think they are nuts. He will play 10 years in the league and be very good. I don’t think everyone is on the same page in the building yet. If you trade back, you run the risk of missing out on the guy you want.”

“It seems everyone wants to beat up on (Alabama CB Dre) Kirkpatrick, but he can play. So, too, though could the other 10 guys (on Alabama's defense). What Nick Saban is doing there is not fair for college football. There is some serious talent on that defense.”

“When was the last time (Georgia OT) Cordy Glenn hit anyone? He has to get a lot tougher. I thought he was a finesse guy, and it’s (difficult) to cut it as a finesse guy in the league anymore.”

Great. We have 4 in the first 2 rounds, but the whole draft class sucks.

It does seem like there are very few who have the film and measurables/athleticism. I'm starting to think maybe we should take a risk on Janoris Jenkins if he's there.

Gator Mike,

Thanks for posting that commentary. I agree with almost all of it, and am glad to see someone with a similar view.

conway,

I won't be as harsh as you in your judgment of this class, but I will agree that this isn't a very strong draft. I don't see a lot of depth that is potential star material.

Like the Harrison Smith JAG reference. Too many players are built up predraft, especially those whose position depth is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back