PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Draft Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see where he goes. I don't think anybody is really sure and I still expect/hope Couples and Ingram to go ahead of him. I'm pretty sure he'll go ahead of Upshaw, Perry and the rest of the other DE/OLBs. McClellin has a chance to go in front of him.

Other tweets from Casserly:

Don't buy the Cleveland taking Weeden talk. I see them taking 3 position players with their first 3 picks and drafting a QB in the mid rds

Courtney Upshaw(Al)-First time mentioned to me is in 20's, could go the 2nd rd. Kevin Zeitler(Wisc) has more interest than his teammate Konz

Cordy Glenn(Ga) OT getting a lot of interest in second half of the first round. Peter Konz(Wisc) OC not getting mentioned to me in 1st rd

Some notes: Cleve and TB both have spoken to Minn about trading up to presumably take Trent Richardson.

If I was the Browns I would use the 1st 3 picks on offensive line for their young QB. Draft Kalil 4th, Decastro with 22nd, and trade up to 27 to nab Konz. Still have no receivers, but a few can be picked up in later rounds. It is much better to keep your QB in one piece.

If I was the Browns I would use the 1st 3 picks on offensive line for their young QB. Draft Kalil 4th, Decastro with 22nd, and trade up to 27 to nab Konz. Still have no receivers, but a few can be picked up in later rounds. It is much better to keep your QB in one piece.

I may consider taking 2 picks on the offensive line, but not 3.

They just have so many holes that it's hard to try and fix them all at once.

I would definitely consider taking a skill position player or CB (Claiborne) with the #4 pick, and then take Decastro with #22.

Then again, who the hell is he going to protect? They need a freaking QB too, and they aren't going to be anything without one. I may consider taking a QB if I were them too, it's a definite need.

Weeden may have better 'right now' skills than Tannehill, so they may consider him at #22. The latest report contradicts that theory, but we'll have to see.

I may consider taking 2 picks on the offensive line, but not 3.

They just have so many holes that it's hard to try and fix them all at once.

I would definitely consider taking a skill position player or CB (Claiborne) with the #4 pick, and then take Decastro with #22.

Then again, who the hell is he going to protect? They need a freaking QB too, and they aren't going to be anything without one. I may consider taking a QB if I were them too, it's a definite need.

Weeden may have better 'right now' skills than Tannehill, so they may consider him at #22. The latest report contradicts that theory, but we'll have to see.

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't draft a QB without providing him a D line, even more so than giving him weapons. I'd give McCoy some more time, with an O line in from of him he will perform much better, land him some receivers in rounds 3-5, maybe a RB in there too like LaMicheal James in round 3.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't draft a QB without providing him a D line, even more so than giving him weapons. I'd give McCoy some more time, with an O line in from of him he will perform much better, land him some receivers in rounds 3-5, maybe a RB in there too like LaMicheal James in round 3.

Freudian slide? :lol2:

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Jones fans, he'll probably be long gone by the time the Patriots pick. His stock has skyrocketed recently. Some are even saying Top 10 now...

I can't figure this out. It's not like he is going to be like his older brother Jon and have a huge physical advantage over his opponents. I think this is all media hype. He will be a 2nd rounder.

I can't figure this out. It's not like he is going to be like his older brother Jon and have a huge physical advantage over his opponents. I think this is all media hype. He will be a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, media hype and/or misinformation from teams. The days leading up to the draft are prime for misinformation.

Thoughtful article as always from Greg Bedard in the Globe today.

If you’re really looking at the Patriots drafting for need, it starts with the 2013 roster.

Bedard thinks they'll draft for depth at CB, safety, receiver, guard, right tackle and interior DL. And ...

Don’t be surprised if the Patriots make a play for Kendall Wright (Baylor), whom they worked out this week, Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech), or Rueben Randle (LSU). But the pressure would be off this season. The Patriots need them in 2013.

Bedard says this was the Pats strategy in the '11 draft, picking for '12 needs.Worth clicking the link above to see his take.

That's an interesting thought. You wonder that if a guy like Wright landed to us and proves to be a good player could that be it for Welker in regards to his contract next year? In that situation i might actually be looking for deals for the TEs.

Last edited:
A few media guys seem more wired in with BB. Holley had Mayo the morning of the draft. Lombardi seems to know the Pats well. For us out of towners, please post any "mockeries" from BB's media favorites. No need to offer Borges' or Felger's opinions :). I've read 6 newspaper mocks this A.M. (NY, S Fl, Boston, Reiss).....4 out of 6 give the Pats Harrison Smith in the 1st.......eeek.

Breer tweets league sources saying Pats have inquired to Seattle about trading up to 12. Suuuurre.

Don't the Pats move up every year? :p

Looks to me like BB is ****ing with the Jets.

The problem with that, is having 3 out of 5 (60%) of your O-line's contracts expiring at the same time as well.
Not a good position to be in, having almost an entire starting unit of your team possibly moving on/ holding your cap hostage at the same time.
Not to mention the unusual amount of leverge it gives these players when they come up at the same time. Odds are, someone gets overpaid and others leave you high and dry. You end up with a unit that is much less productive, and getting paid more (as a whole) than before.

Bad business in general, plus it leaves the rest of your team thin. You have to mix early rd. talent, late round development, and free agents... this goes for any unit on a team.

Just look how well it worked out for the Jets when they used 2 1st rounders a few years back on Ferguson and Mangold. They got 2 good players, but what REAL success have they had since then?
Those contracts are part of what handcuffs their depth to a degree. Without a Legit QB, the O-line is an exercise in futility. Kind of like dressing a pig (Sanchez) in an expensive designer dress. In the beginning, it looks a little better than it really is... but in the end, it's still a pig.

BTW, how good is that O-line now? Even with those 2 guys still there and playing at a relatively high level, a few believe they should draft an OL in this years draft

Last edited:
The one thing I do know for sure, is that this weekend Best Buy is going to have a surge in T.V. and Laptop sales... thanks in large part to Bill B. trading down and/or making WTF picks.....lol.
We should all be smart and buy BB stock today :D

Wait a second!!!! Best Buy (BB), Bill Belichick (BB).... That has to be it... Bill B. owns controlling share of Best Buy, and his rise to the top of NFL coaching, coupled with his enigmatic drafting style, has all been a concerted effort to drive up business at the electronics superstores, by driving us mad enough to throw our laptops through our T.V. screens!!..... ;) :p

Last edited:
The one thing I do know for sure, is that this weekend Best Buy is going to have a surge in T.V. and Laptop sales... thanks in large part to Bill B. trading down and/or making WTF picks.....lol.
We should all be smart and buy BB stock today :D

Wait a second!!!! Best Buy (BB), Bill Belichick (BB).... That has to be it... Bill B. owns controlling share of Best Buy, and his rise to the top of NFL coaching, coupled with his enigmatic drafting style, has all been a concerted effort to drive up business at the electronics superstores, by driving us mad enough to throw our laptops through our T.V. screens!!..... ;) :p

I think the Best Buy CEO just resigned a few weeeks ago.

Too many character issues, I think BB takes Best Buy off his draft board!

I think the Best Buy CEO just resigned a few weeeks ago.

Too many character issues, I think BB takes Best Buy off his draft board!

Don't they offer value though?

Just going by the name

From Schefter:

Teams open to trading back for the right offer include Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Miami, Seattle, Dallas, NY Jets, Detroit.

and:

Teams open to trading up if right player is there include Jacksonville, Buffalo, Philadelphia, San Diego, New England, Green Bay.

StaceyDales ‏ @StaceyDales Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Pats tell me there has been NO discussion with seattle about the 12th pick. Not with Coach, Caserio, or anyone else.
Retweeted by Michael Lombardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back