PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t even count how many games I have watched- where I have zero rooting interest- where I said aloud- That is a really bad drop by Reynolds.
He should be called Drop Reynolds. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the roster bonuses. Allen has $5M and Williams has $3M due on Friday if he's on a roster. If we trade for them we'd be taking that on too. So it's $23.1M for Allena nd $20.0M for Williams.

There's an option for LA to eat some of the money too. They could convert $10m of Williams' salary to a signing bonus, retain that on their own cap, and then trade him to us where we'd only have to pay him $10M. They'd do that, in theory, to get an actual pick return rather than just pure cap savings.

You're right. I missed the Roster bonuses.

That being said, I doubt the Chargers are going to eat any of the money since they're trying to free up a bunch of space.

Falcons would probably file a grievance if that happened... not sure if they'd win, though. Someone in their legal department really screwed the pooch on the trade with that language.

(Just an FYI - this is where having a Robyn Glaser comes in handy)

Falcons would probably file a grievance if that happened... not sure if they'd win, though. Someone in their legal department really screwed the pooch on the trade with that language.

(Just an FYI - this is where having a Robyn Glaser comes in handy)
Thank goodness they didn't let BB come in and clean out their amazing personnel department. :rolleyes:

The Patriots were a 4-13 team last year. If they don't try to put together a competitive team this year, they could be looking at going even worse. While that's fine for the fans as we know we're rebuilding, but a 2-15 season could get Mayo and/or Wolf fired. It's in their interest to do better in 2024.
Bringing in mercenaries who are only there for a paycheck is not how you want to build a team either.

3 for Herbert Williams and Allen?

Who says no?

I don't want spend huge money on a 1 year deal for Allen or Williams via trade. No value in that, IMO. This team doesn't appear close to being a realistic quick-turnaround contender even with one of them. A bloated 1 year deal just gives you less cap to rollover to next year and put towards viable longer term solutions.

I'd rather go with a lower priced stop gap like Josh Reynolds or DJ Chark. I FULLY understand that those are flawed players with a lot to be desired, but I just want a respectable X receiver that you can at least lineup in that spot so you aren't scrambling if the draft board doesn't fall right for you.

Well, yeah. I'd take him, sign Josh Reynolds and draft Legette and be very happy with the WR room. To @The Gr8est point, no high picks. It really needs to be a no-brainer.
He does seem like someone that could just benefit from a change of scenery. The talent is there. I doubt he'd be very expensive at all.

I'd be good with signing Reynolds, trading for Williams or Allen for a later round pick and extending them for a couple of years, drafting a guy such as Legette or otherwise, then restructuring Juju and cutting him to lower the 2024 dead money and seeing how things land. Between all of the above you will probably at least find one guy who will be your #1, or maybe you'll end up with an awesome WR room. After signing Reynolds, restructuring/cutting Juju and extending Williams/Allen, you are probably still left with ~$35M or so in cap space to acquire a tackle and still have room left.

I don't want spend huge money on a 1 year deal for Allen or Williams via trade. No value in that, IMO. This team doesn't appear close to being a realistic quick-turnaround contender even with one of them. A bloated 1 year deal just gives you less cap to rollover to next year and put towards viable longer term solutions.

I'd rather go with a lower priced stop gap like Josh Reynolds or DJ Chark. I FULLY understand that those are flawed players with a lot to be desired, but I just want a respectable X receiver that you can at least lineup in that spot so you aren't scrambling if the draft board doesn't fall right for you.
You don't know that Ridley or Williams automatically improves our other WR's Bourne and Pop would become more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST