PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin, Not much. Did you know upon average 31% of every NFL roster is made up of free agents or trades? i.e. GM Failures at first blush who were missed or square pegs in a round hole......
The Draft upon average has got a 17%-19% success rate that the players reach their next contract?. Actually, the worse Teams keep the most picks because they have to.
So no...that is b.s. GM's gamble and actually listen to some high dollar scouts who pound on the table for their "guys" , they listen to and read media opinions and many, not all........ read these forums for opinions.
So if you success rate is 17% in your job, would you be fired? It's the "good old boy network" or the next shiny college guy for the front office. Look at Wolf and Groh.....Thanks Dad. I would not hire either of them to fill out a roster on a Pop Warner Team. Who is responsible for our roster 2023....the worse in the League?We all forget they had their hands in this roster for years. BB was hung out to dry as the fall guy. Yes he had the final say but it was their handywork. Now we look up to them as the savior and they make probably $250k per year? That rots.

Another point. It is said this is a copycat League. That tells you everything.
DW Toys

Thanks Cousin for your post. Always fun to review facts.

I think the Fields situation is a bit different. Fields has been and played in the league for 3 years. While GMs do miss a lot in the draft and UDFAs are common, the player's ability is usually well understood after 3 years. BB would almost always wait 3 years before cutting ties because some players emerge late. After 3 years the GMs know what the player's ability is because very rarely does a player surprise everyone in Y4 and beyond.

Calvin Ridley on potential return to the Jags: “I learned these guys, built relationships with them. I don’t really care to learn other people and plays and all that other stuff right now.”

That doesn't sound much like a guy I want on the Patriots.
That was a quote after the last game of the season. Lots of impending free agents say things like that at the end of the season. It’s not a quote from March.

That was a quote after the last game of the season. Lots of impending free agents say things like that at the end of the season. It’s not a quote from March.
Who posted it?? Let me at em let me at em. :mad:

So Calvin is still in play up the ante Wolf. :cool:

Don't want a soon to be 32yld player on a Rebuild it's Mike Williams or Bust!
Keenan had very good numbers last year. The man is a pro. He'd be fine for a year and maybe a good mentor for young draftees. I'd take him in a heartbeat, for the right price.

Keenan had very good numbers last year. The man is a pro. He'd be fine for a year and maybe a good mentor for young draftees. I'd take him in a heartbeat, for the right price.
I know would love if he was two years younger though.

The Pats are a rebuilding team.

I am not enthused about signing older FAs who are only looking at a last payday, and I certainly am not in favor of trading picks for them.
So….just build through the draft? That’s going to take quite a while and not be fully effective without bringing in outside talent.

A lot of FAs will be veterans and closer to 30 or more than 20. Still need them.

I know would love if he was two years younger though.
Well, yeah. I'd take him, sign Josh Reynolds and draft Legette and be very happy with the WR room. To @The Gr8est point, no high picks. It really needs to be a no-brainer.

Mr Harvey be updating up his resume by days end mark my words.

The Pats are a rebuilding team.

I am not enthused about signing older FAs who are only looking at a last payday, and I certainly am not in favor of trading picks for them.
The Patriots were a 4-13 team last year. If they don't try to put together a competitive team this year, they could be looking at going even worse. While that's fine for the fans as we know we're rebuilding, but a 2-15 season could get Mayo and/or Wolf fired. It's in their interest to do better in 2024.

I have moved on: Him and Mike Williams are identical Players and Williams should come a lot cheaper Wolf have a plan B thanks to the Chargers GM from Hell who makes BB the GM look like Mother Teresa.
Mike Williams and Calvin Ridley have pretty different skill sets. Calvin Ridley just sat out a significant amount of time and immediately put up a 1000 yard season. Mike Williams- much more of a boundary/contested catch guy- is coming a significant injury and two disappointing seasons; he has never really blossomed despite having quality QB play and a pass first offense for most of his career. I would be happy to have him, but he has nowhere near the upside of Ridley.

So….just build through the draft? That’s going to take quite a while and not be fully effective without bringing in outside talent.

A lot of FAs will be veterans and closer to 30 or more than 20. Still need them.
Understood, but if we are bringing in older players who will be mentors to our younger players, it is counterproductive if we don’t have the youngster to mentor, because we traded the pick for a veteran.

No to drop it like it hot Josh Reynolds.
I can’t even count how many games I have watched- where I have zero rooting interest- where I said aloud- That is a really bad drop by Reynolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST