PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2007 Patriots Draft Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official 2007 NFL Draft 1st Round Discussion

If Brandon Siler makes it to round 3 I can see the Pats moving up to grab him.

I hate this trade. The Patriots have no 2nd round pick, do you think they are aware of this? I understand they have Welker but taking one player of the first 90 makes little sence IMO.

I think we're OK. There aren't going to be very many spots open for rookies anyway. There's certainly not any position where a rookie could come in and start besides FS.

If Brandon Siler makes it to round 3 I can see the Pats moving up to grab him.

He may last til round 6.

Does this patient approach to the ILB's mean Seau is coming back next year?

I would have rather had a 2nd this year or a 3rd
Not happy with this.

Any idea what's going on with Allan Branch? It's like he's not playing anymore. No one is talking about him.

Colts could get a steal here.

They likely look at Welker as a "draft pick" as well. How many second round picks come in and are immediate slot wr's, and kick and punt returners?

He may last til round 6.

Are you being facetious? He is generally projected in rounds 2-4. Of course, he MAY not be drafted at all.

Everyone (the draft experts) said the first round talent this year sucks especially at positions we would be interested in (secondary and LBs). Why not trade into next year's draft? That draft is bound to be better.

If the Pats felt there was no value at 28, why not trade into next year. Was there really anyone who was going to be available in the second round that they feel they really need. We got same year second and a future first from Baltimore for the 19th pick in 2003. So next year's first and a high fourth for the 28th pick seems to be equal value for dropping the pick down nine spots.

I know from a fan's standpoint that it sucks that we don't pick again until late in the third round, but from a strategic standpoint this might be the better move than using the pick or making a different trade.

I hate this trade. The Patriots have no 2nd round pick, do you think they are aware of this? I understand they have Welker but taking one player of the first 90 makes little sence IMO.

Huh, someone call Foxborough and tell them! Jeez, you'd think they'd have thought of that.

Of course they know it. It would have been nice to get the second and next year's first... but evidently that's the best value they could get out of a 28 this year, a likely 16 or so next year and a fourth.

I'm okay with it. Woulda liked to have gotten more, but c'est la vie.

PFnV

Colts take Gonzalez

Colts need defense but Gonzalez is going to be a player. Pre-free agency before the WR additions I was hoping he would be a Patriots target.

Good pick for the Colts.

He'll start out as their #3 wr, but when Marvin decides to hang them up, could he move to the outside? Does he have those abilities?

Colts take Gonzalez

Just what they need is another receiver. I'm sure he will help the defense stop the run.

When I first realized that we traded the pick I saw the Niners had the 10th pick in the 2nd round and assumed we were getting that and their 2008 1st rounder for the 28th pick and one or two of our late rounders. Meaning we would still have a shot at Harris or Houston or somebody like that.

So I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now.

But only did we clearly get jobbed on the trade--this feels like the wrong strategy to me...

What's the point in having 9 second day draft picks? How many of them could possibly make the team? We kept nearly the whole 2006 draft and have a habit of bringing in plenty of UFAs.

I know depth has been what got us here, but at this point I'd rather have quality than quantity. I really don't like this trade.

Everyone (the draft experts) said the first round talent this year sucks especially at positions we would be interested in (secondary and LBs). Why not trade into next year's draft? That draft is bound to be better.

If the Pats felt there was no value at 28, why not trade into next year. Was there really anyone who was going to be available in the second round that they feel they really need. We got same year second and a future first from Baltimore for the 19th pick in 2003. So next year's first and a high fourth for the 28th pick seems to be equal value for dropping the pick down nine spots.

I know from a fan's standpoint that it sucks that we don't pick again until late in the third round, but from a strategic standpoint this might be the better move than using the pick or making a different trade.

I've never really understood that some drafts are so much better than others. Why? There are a huge number of kids playing every year...why would there be so much variability?

Anyway, any hope of drafting a contributing MLB is pretty much gone...maybe that is deliberate, the pats think that it's so complex that no draftee even a good one like Harris could figure it out. They'd rather get veterans.

I'm a little disappointed in the value they got for it too...why a #4 pick? They must have initiated it, it's almost like SF is doing NE a favor instead of vice versa.

Good pick for the Colts.

He'll start out as their #3 wr, but when Marvin decides to hang them up, could he move to the outside? Does he have those abilities?

reason i didnt like gonzalez for us is because if anything..hes best for slot . He can have a chance outside in some system but best would be in slot

Any idea what's going on with Alan Branch? It's like he's not playing anymore. No one is talking about him.

I am wondering the same thing. Branch was part of a historically great Michigan team against the run and considered a likely top-15 pick. What happened?

Last edited:

I am wondering the same thing. Branch was part of a historically great Michigan team against the run and considered a likely top-15 pick. What happened?

could be an injury..his motor..game film probably had a lot to do with it

Huh, someone call Foxborough and tell them! Jeez, you'd think they'd have thought of that.

Of course they know it. It would have been nice to get the second and next year's first... but evidently that's the best value they could get out of a 28 this year, a likely 16 or so next year and a fourth.

I'm okay with it. Woulda liked to have gotten more, but c'est la vie.

PFnV

Its nice to have 2 first rounders. Lets carry it forward until 2010. Its like having money in the bank that earns zero interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore