PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see some of the blocking metrics that have come out in the last day or so? Apparently Neal and Mankins were two of the top 10 guards in the league in pass blocking and Seabass was a top 5 OT. Koppen was awful at C and listed in the bottom 10. Could we draft Pouncey from Florida 2nd rd? Center looks weak this yr in the draft besides him.

I highly doubt we take OT in the draft unless its Washington or Veldheer 3rd-4th rd. We have a nice 2 deep at OT with Seabass/Light/Kaczur/Levoir.

Do you think we bring back Neal? If not we need to draft a C/G.

IMO the best value is Kevin Matthews from Texas A&M, he has all the things you can't teach and what he lacks is very teachable, and he'd be very affordable.

Sideline Scouting - Centers

Mitch Petrus is my favorite for Guard, again, he has the stuff that can't be taught, with some good treatment/training and technique work he could start by opening day and be a Pro-Bowler by his 2nd year.

http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/og.shtml#petrus

I'm curious why you don't think Tackle is an area of need, Vollmer has a very bright future and can get the job done but Light sucks, I want to draft Veldheer and get his schooled up on Right Tackle so we can then move Vollmer to Left Tackle.

After a year or so to develop a line of Vollmer-Mankins-Matthews-Petrus-Veldheer would be absolutely nasty.

Last edited:
Did you see some of the blocking metrics that have come out in the last day or so? Apparently Neal and Mankins were two of the top 10 guards in the league in pass blocking and Seabass was a top 5 OT. Koppen was awful at C and listed in the bottom 10. Could we draft Pouncey from Florida 2nd rd? Center looks weak this yr in the draft besides him.

I highly doubt we take OT in the draft unless its Washington or Veldheer 3rd-4th rd. We have a nice 2 deep at OT with Seabass/Light/Kaczur/Levoir.

Do you think we bring back Neal? If not we need to draft a C/G.
Do you have a link for whichever site reported the metrics you are referencing?

Neal's future with the team isn't clear to me - I love him and want him back, but at the same time I was lobbying for drafting his replacement last season to develop behind him due to his injury history. I could see a team like KC drafting him to help them transition their line.

Is that Washington from Abilene Christian? If so don't expect the Pats to touch him with Rex Ryan's woody.

What's the take on Matt Tennant from BC? Could he turn into a Damien Woody type? C/G?

Something worth mentioning regarding O-line players, none of the 5 starters on the Colt's O-line was drafted before the 4th round yet they get Manning plenty of time in the pocket. This tells me that they know how to draft very well for that position and/or they know very well how to coach and develop their guys.

We might be able to learn a lesson or two from them.

What's the take on Matt Tennant from BC? Could he turn into a Damien Woody type? C/G?
He may not be able to get as fat, but he's capable of play all three interior positions.

I've already speculated on Pouncey as a G who then moves back to C. But I don't think we're going to spend a 1st round pick on him. I'm pretty sure BB will go Defense in the 1st round.

Next year C Ryan Pugh from Auburn will be in the draft. 6'4", 290; he manhandled Dan Williams DT Tenn. when they played in 2009. Pugh has been a winner since Jr. High school and was named 1st team freshman all-american for D1.

Have any of you heard an interview with Campbell from Maryland? I heard him on Sirius the other night. Almost sounded like he wasn't paying close attention to the interview. Maybe he was distracted. I was just wondering if he's like this in other interviews and was curious as to if anyone has heard an interview of him. Thanks.

Can someone give me the lowdown on these guys, strengths, where ranked?
Be nice to have some more power at this position.

OG/C - Phil Costa, Maryland - PW
OC - Ryan Blaszczyk, Rutgers - APD, C
OC - Ted Larsen, NC State - APD (Dante)
OC - Matt Tennant, Boston College, APD, MV, PW

Thanks

Last edited:
Can someone give me the lowdown on these guys, strengths, where ranked?
Be nice to have some more power at this position.

OG/C - Phil Costa, Maryland - PW
OC - Ryan Blaszczyk, Rutgers - APD, C
OC - Ted Larsen, NC State - APD (Dante)
OC - Matt Tennant, Boston College, APD, MV, PW

Thanks
Late round/UDFA, ditto, mid-to-late rounds, 2nd or 3rd round.

EDIT: Larsen plays for former BC Head Coach O'Brien - Koppen's old HC. Tennant plays for BC - a perennial OL source for the NFL. Rutgers has been quietly producing NFL quality OL under Schiano. Maryland has a good rep for OL.

Last edited:
Something worth mentioning regarding O-line players, none of the 5 starters on the Colt's O-line was drafted before the 4th round yet they get Manning plenty of time in the pocket. This tells me that they know how to draft very well for that position and/or they know very well how to coach and develop their guys.

Wow, that's an odd spin on it. The fact that none of the Colts' high draft picks for the OL have managed to hold down starting jobs is a sign that they draft OL well? In just the past couple of years the Colts spent a #1 and #4 on Ugoh and a #2 on Pollak, both apparent whiffs.

Meanwhile the Patriots are fielding a 100% home-grown OL, and haven't whiffed on an OL pick in the first 4 rounds since Adrian Klemm.

Wow, that's an odd spin on it. The fact that none of the Colts' high draft picks for the OL have managed to hold down starting jobs is a sign that they draft OL well? In just the past couple of years the Colts spent a #1 and #4 on Ugoh and a #2 on Pollak, both apparent whiffs.

Meanwhile the Patriots are fielding a 100% home-grown OL, and haven't whiffed on an OL pick in the first 4 rounds since Adrian Klemm.

Every team has some busts here and there but having a bunch of low drafted guys do a very solid job means they're doing something right, I rather doubt that's simply a coincidence. As far as the Patriot's O-line, there's a reason why Brady was banged up this season, part of that was his fault but blame also lies with his line.

Every team has some busts here and there but having a bunch of low drafted guys do a very solid job means they're doing something right, I rather doubt that's simply a coincidence.

Here's the actual record: Over the past 5 years the Colts have spent 10 draft picks on o-linemen, including a 1, 2, 4 & 4. Last year exactly 1 of those 10 draft picks, a 6th-rounder, started for them.

I really don't think that fits anybody's definition of successful o-line drafting -- and I don't think any of us would trade Vollmer or Mankins for ANYBODY on that Colts draft list.

Lil' Richie O'Burger says Remember me?

This tells me that they know how to draft very well for that position and/or they know very well how to coach and develop their guys.

A few years ago, Rick Gosselin (I think), presented an interesting fact during round one of the playoffs:

None of the starting offensive linemen among all playoff teams were first round picks -- except one -- Logan Mankins (a #32 pick btw).

His point was, good offensive lines can be developed, and not necessarily composed of first round picks.

Dante has a solid system in place for developmental prospects -- and he's an excellent teacher too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back